Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 18 2009, 01:48 PM   #331
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Well, you have to see the word in context; Great Expectations is a classic and The Three Stooges are a classic-- each in their own venue.

I should pick up that collection. I haven't seen The Werewolf in ages. I love Werewolves and it's hard to find a good or entertaining Werewolf movie.
Old July 19 2009, 04:35 AM   #332
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

it isnt a movie but boucher's compleat werewolf is about the best example of a
sorta humorous story.

and to take a chance on sounding simple..
which edition of the universal monster legacy series has the busts??

the werwolf and frankenstien might look nice mixed in on the angel shelf.
Old July 19 2009, 10:07 AM   #333
RJDiogenes

^^ I've never actually seen the editions with the busts.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Compleat Werewolf; it seems to be out of print.
Old July 19 2009, 12:46 PM   #334
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Here they are.

You can find them on eBay pretty easily, usually ranging from $60 to $150 or so. You get the three DVD sets and the corresponding busts of Dracula, Frankenstein's monster and the Wolf Man.

Sometimes I've seen just the busts for sale, which is tempting, since I already have the DVDs.
Old July 20 2009, 06:17 AM   #335
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

thanks
i would also probably go for the busts for the same reason then.

rj .. the story is in several collections .
Old July 20 2009, 10:03 AM   #336
RJDiogenes

Ah, good, I will look further....
Old July 21 2009, 10:42 AM   #337
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

You guys will like this.

House of the Wolf Man.

...director Eben McGarr has written and directed [House of the Wolf Man] ... set to see its premiere later this fall. McGarr has shot the film to look exactly like a movie made in the 1940's era ... filmed in black and white and full frame.
Nuke The Fridge was on set to see a number of scenes being filmed, including a battle between the Wolf Man and Frankenstein's Monster. This movie is intended to slip seamlessly in with the other two "House of" movies and with no gore, language, or sex, it should be for all members of the family.
Here's the other part that jumped out at me:

The film stars Ron Chaney (grandson of the original "Wolf Man", Lon Chaney, Jr.) as the Wolf Man.

Click the link for some pics. Dread Central has a shot of the make-up, which looks a cross between Lon Chaney Jr.'s and the make-up from Werewolf of London.

I hope they pull it off, because it sounds really cool.
Old July 21 2009, 11:40 PM   #338
RJDiogenes

All right, you just made my week.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm always talking about. There's no reason why movies can't be made in the style of specific eras-- painters and musicians do it, so why not filmmakers? That's why I love stuff like Frankenstein Versus The Creature From Blood Cove and Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra. This is exactly the sort of film I'd be making if I were in a position to do so. I'm psyched!
Old July 22 2009, 12:36 AM   #339
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

It'd really be great if Universal were to pick it up. There are probably enough changes to the make-up, etc. to keep it from any legal action from them, but it'd be even better if Universal were to embrace it entirely.
Old July 22 2009, 01:12 AM   #340
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
As interesting as it looks, I'm hoping they'll tone the film detail down a bit in post production. No matter how much a movie or show tries to emulate the old look and feel, without that excessively soft lens it just looks like their trying to ape the old style (read: non-genuine).

When looking at the pinup shot of Elmira Cray, I can't help but think of another (excessively bloomed) pinup shot captioned "More bloom! I said more!" because I should probably be thinking the same snark of this one.

Leaves me to wonder what could be done on-the-fly with BluRay or digital movie technologies. That is, to provide a single video stream that could be viewed in HD or low res, with or without blooms, color or B&W, etc. All are relatively simple image transformations, though I suppose turning on all the filters at once might make things chug a bit.

To finish up the ramble, I wonder if they'll still be hand animating Dracula turning into a bat.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2009, 02:09 AM   #341
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I'm not really seeing that in pin-up picture. The contrast is pretty stark, but that's about it.

The main problem that these types of attempts usually have is that the actors are rarely able to pull off speaking as if they're from the movies of that period. Even in the silent The Call of Cthulhu, there are little clues that they're modern actors.

Still, those limitations are pretty forgivable, as long as there are still good performances.

And it definitely looks like House of the Wolf Man is trying. Look at these make-ups! They all look great, but I'm particularly surprised with Dracula. For a low-budget production, that's some excellent casting, at least based on his look. Like the Wolf Man, Frankenstein's monster looks changed enough to keep Universal from flipping out, but close enough to seem like a progression from those movies.

Great stuff.
Old July 22 2009, 09:52 AM   #342
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Earlier tonight they put up the trailer! What do you guys think?

I think it looks great, though the voice-over sounds kind of silly and out of place. But the look of it is nice.

And wow, in that last shot of Ron Chaney, you can really see the resemblance to Lon, Sr., especially.
Old July 22 2009, 10:13 AM   #343
RJDiogenes

It'd really be great if Universal were to pick it up. There are probably enough changes to the make-up, etc. to keep it from any legal action from them, but it'd be even better if Universal were to embrace it entirely.
That would be great (I've thought that about Starship Exeter as well). I wonder how the movie is going to get around using Copyrighted names; hopefully, it won't be too awkward.

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
To finish up the ramble, I wonder if they'll still be hand animating Dracula turning into a bat.
Yes, in Photoshop. As long as it has that retro look....

The main problem that these types of attempts usually have is that the actors are rarely able to pull off speaking as if they're from the movies of that period. Even in the silent The Call of Cthulhu, there are little clues that they're modern actors.
And you can tell the street scenes are CGI, too. That's okay. It can't be perfect, and it's still incredibly good. Those guys are working on another movie, too (and their radio dramas are also excellent).

And it definitely looks like House of the Wolf Man is trying. Look at these make-ups! They all look great, but I'm particularly surprised with Dracula. For a low-budget production, that's some excellent casting, at least based on his look. Like the Wolf Man, Frankenstein's monster looks changed enough to keep Universal from flipping out, but close enough to seem like a progression from those movies.
Wow, Dracula looks amazing! Wolf Man and Frankenstein's Monster are pretty good; the Monster looks a little "harsh," but he has been burned up a few times at this point.

Earlier tonight they put up the trailer! What do you guys think?
Wow, the sets are amazing. The old-fashioned car, the rain, the castle-- it all looks very genuine. The Monster doesn't look quite big enough to me, though. Maybe he's not the same Monster....
Old July 22 2009, 10:23 AM   #344
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

At this point he's the monster with Ygor's brain, right? Maybe he's shrinking to fit.

I've always been slightly disappointed by that, by the way. That, basically, the original monster was killed when his brain was swapped for Ygor's. Poor guy.

As for the name, I've always been a little fuzzy on just what name is trademarked. In the original films, it was always "The Wolf Man," which is why I suspect movies like The Monster Squad got away with calling him "Wolfman." And then there's Nicholas Pekearo's novel, The Wolfman, which has no connection to Universal.

To make it even more confusing, the promotional materials for Universal's remake all say The Wolfman.

I'm not sure how it works.
Old July 22 2009, 10:35 AM   #345
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

As far as the wolf man, the wolf-man, the wolfman, wolfman, etc...

This isn't about trademarks so much as the changing English language. Funny thing. If you look at most old movie posters, you'll see things like "teen-aged" hyphened (this was very new slang at the time). A whole bunch of words hadn't yet morphed into one word. Anything that was once two words or two words hyphenated have subsequently morphed into one word over time.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote