Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 8 2009, 07:34 AM   #16
Destructor
Commodore

Re: Fallout 3?

It's awesome, get it.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 10:31 AM   #17
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
firehawk12 wrote: View Post
The only benefit you get is that there's a town you'll be able to get into without doing a quest... but even then, it's hardly worth it.
That's not the only benefit. At all.
If there's any other real tangible difference between playing good and evil, I'd like to know. The only thing I can tell is that people are most hostile to you and you have to fight off random ghouls instead of mercenaries out in the field.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 05:34 PM   #18
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I definitely want this game, but at this point I'll wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC. I've got too many 360 games sitting on my shelf that I haven't even finished yet! (I just started Gears of War - the first one - a few days ago. That's how far behind I am. Great game, though!)
Old July 19 2009, 11:25 PM   #19
Lookingglassman
Admiral

I got the add on pack and installed them, the problem I am having now is where the heck on the map do I go to play them? I listened to the radio broadcasts, but I dont have a clue where to go.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2009, 11:40 PM   #20
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

The DLC isn't really worth the asking price ... barely better than the horse armor provided in Oblivion. They are burnable though, so just get a friend to copy over the directory files onto a disc for you. The only thing you miss is the achivements...
Old July 19 2009, 11:42 PM   #21
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Naw, you don't need them to get the achievements if you use the console command.

I admit, I bought the PC version just to get a free 1000+ points.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 02:56 AM   #22
Annoiu
Lieutenant Commander

Lookingglassman wrote: View Post
I got the add on pack and installed them, the problem I am having now is where the heck on the map do I go to play them? I listened to the radio broadcasts, but I dont have a clue where to go.

Each of those broadcasts added a quest to your journal. Just make the quest active then find the marker on your world map.
Annoiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 04:09 AM   #23
Lookingglassman
Admiral

^I wish I had known that before I bought it. I made it to "The Pitt" and of course I got killed. I am back in the wasteland and I think I will try that Operation Anchorage mission tomorrow when I get home from work.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2009, 11:21 PM   #24
Reverend
Rear Admiral

What I found to be a good approach for 'The Pitt' is to strip down to light armour (raider/merc) and only take a few light weapons (hunting rifle, SMG, sledgehammer.)
I initially did it that way because I'd read that you loose your weapons fairly quickly and I didn't want to risk permanently loosing anything of value, though as it turns out you do eventually get everything back. Still, it made the game feel "new" again, leaving all my heavy gear back in Megaton, including all but 50 caps, a couple sim packs and 100 rounds each of 10mm & .32, even though cash, meds & ammo weigh nothing. Forcing myself to deal with limited resources really improved the experience IMO.

One of the main problems with Fallout 3 is just how easy it is to get far more gear than you could ever use and it renders the vendors and traders next to useless. In fact my "main" character (I have 3) has well over 43,000 caps, enough components and spare guns to build or repair dozens of weapons and at least five of every non-unique armour. When I loot enemies now, I don't even bother with anything other than the ammo and the fingers since I really don't need the cash.
If nothing else it'd be nice to just have something expensive to spend your caps on, like another house in Canterbury Commons or a way to customise your gear.
One of the minor disappointments I had was the lack of a hunting sidequest. I remember in FO1 I had lots of fun hunting gekkos for their pelts. It'd be nice if you could find a use for Yao Guai hide or maybe sell meat to one of the kitchens. Perhaps even the ability to lay down bait and traps.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 06:50 AM   #25
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^

I'd almost completely disagree. VATS is just a tactical paused combat mode, and using it is hardly a guarantee of success. How could it possibly feel like a cheat mode?

Replay value - this game has so many multiple paths to quest completion it almost beggars belief, and a not insignificant number of them depend on your character stats. There are more than a few quest outcomes which make pretty big changes to the gameworld/landscape, which one may or may not get depending on their char build, actions and dialogue choices, and I'm not just talking about a certain Megaton questline - though talking of that... do you know it's even possible to have the whole thing called off by making Mr Burke fall in love with you? Depends, again, on your char build, gender, speech stat and perks. If successful he'll send you love letters. That's just one of many possible outcomes of one particular chapter in the game and it barely scratches the surface. It has so much depth, I honestly can't fathom why anyone would decry it for lack of replay value.

And if you don't think levelling up the weapons skills gains you much, I invite you to wander into Evergreen Mills or take on a Deathclaw with a non-combat char.
I have actually stopped playing the game right at the end of it because i had leveled up to level 20 and that as far as it goes without that add on.....I'm waiting for the game of the year edition with all the DLC on sale..........yes i know I'm a cheap bugger.

Great game though, i was gob smacked standing on that top veranda in the flats watching my nuke go off.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 12:50 PM   #26
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Trubinator wrote: View Post
The DLC isn't really worth the asking price ... barely better than the horse armor provided in Oblivion.
I don't know how anyone can credibly make that claim, because frankly it just isn't true.

Even the leanest F3 DLC - Operation Anchorage - contains a good 2-4 hours of quest content, unique loot and a hefty expansion of the Fallout lore, and every DLC since has been quite bit bigger and a lot longer. Broken Steel reopens the game world after the ending, takes the story further, populates the landscape with new sidequests and NPCs (as well as the 3 big story missions, which are quite reasonable in length).

Whether they're worth the money is up to you, of course, but personally each one was 800msp well spent with no regrets. Either way, Horse Armour just isn't a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination.
Old July 21 2009, 01:47 PM   #27
PKerr
Rear Admiral

The DLC isn't really worth the asking price ... barely better than the horse armor provided in Oblivion.
I don't know how anyone can credibly make that claim, because frankly it just isn't true.

Even the leanest F3 DLC - Operation Anchorage - contains a good 2-4 hours of quest content, unique loot and a hefty expansion of the Fallout lore, and every DLC since has been quite bit bigger and a lot longer. Broken Steel reopens the game world after the ending, takes the story further, populates the landscape with new sidequests and NPCs (as well as the 3 big story missions, which are quite reasonable in length).

Whether they're worth the money is up to you, of course, but personally each one was 800msp well spent with no regrets. Either way, Horse Armour just isn't a fair comparison by any stretch of the imagination.
I have to agree here,all the DLC has been worth having.
I am still using the winterized suit from Operation Anchorage.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 08:27 PM   #28
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Although I DID enjoy the game (and I am a sucker for post-apocolypica anyway), I found some things I didn't like about it.

The replay value is fairly low, in my opinion.

The game world feels kinda small, even though (IIRC) it has the same actual "size" as the Cyrodiil area in Oblivion.

Use of VATS was almost like using "cheat mode".

I don't think that the weapons skills really gained you much at all.

Pretty much agreed.

This game is awesome so it's fairly easy to overlook the few flaws.
Old July 22 2009, 04:37 AM   #29
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

You're still paying more than you should for what you get. I miss the days when you could spend $30 on an expansion for say ... Neverwinter Nights ... and get a good 30-40 hours of play time out of it. These DLC packs just seem like a way to get people to double dip to me. Just look at how they're already releasing them in packs and a GOTY edition.
Old July 22 2009, 08:49 AM   #30
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

^

I did say that whether they're worth the money or not is down to the individual, we differ on that but hey, fair enough. I think the packs have been well worth it, and pretty much the same ratio of cash/content as the main game (retail at launch).

Likening them to Horse Armour, however, is entirely fatuous and objectively untrue. Knights of the Nine is a much more fitting comparison.