Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old July 14 2009, 01:07 PM   #16
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: July Challenge Entry--A Stone's Throw Away

That was wonderful. I'm very moved, and I'd like to say I think you are a great story-teller. This was to a standard most definitely worthy of an actual published author. There's nothing more important to me than the bond between mutually loving parents and children, which I consider sacred, and to me you really captured that.
Old July 14 2009, 03:05 PM   #17
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
That was wonderful. I'm very moved, and I'd like to say I think you are a great story-teller. This was to a standard most definitely worthy of an actual published author. There's nothing more important to me than the bond between mutually loving parents and children, which I consider sacred, and to me you really captured that.
Yeah, I have to agree with Nesat..this was very well told. One of your best, and very 'pro-ish' in feel. Bravo zulu!!! the connection was SO there.

Rob Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 05:47 PM   #18
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thanks for your kindness, and nice to see you, guys!

I was very fortunate, of course, that the character of Berat had been created in Ms. Tilton's novel, and the basic outline of his past established. But to me, those were a few sentences that REALLY deserved more exploration than they got, so once I saw Steff's fanart, it compelled me to write the story.
Old July 15 2009, 12:35 AM   #19
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Nerys, outta curiosity...have you considered writing pro-Trek?

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 01:23 AM   #20
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Before everything started to fall into one novel-continuity...yes. But now that it's all under one continuity, one that has taken directions I do not agree with...absolutely NOT. I want the kind of creative freedom that no longer exists if you write the officially-licensed stuff.
Old July 15 2009, 11:27 AM   #21
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Before everything started to fall into one novel-continuity...yes. But now that it's all under one continuity, one that has taken directions I do not agree with...absolutely NOT. I want the kind of creative freedom that no longer exists if you write the officially-licensed stuff.
What about writing in the Abramsverse? There's a whole new continuity there.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
That's an good notion actually. (And I think NG has already touch upon it)
I do have my own ideas for the new time line, but give the rate at which I write it may be some time before they come to fruition.

I also own a huge apology to Neryrs Ghemor for not commenting on this fine piece of writing. The way that you have managed to capture the dichotomy of duty to the state (either willingly or coerced) and to the family is a testament to your impeccable skills as an author.
I believe that it was once said by one of our most famous poets that there are times that try men's souls, I think that for Berat this was one of those make or break times in his short life.
It definitely makes Gul Tyben Berat one of the most inspirational Cardassians in the trekverse.

Finally I want to join the chorus urging you to write the next great Cardassian novel.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 03:41 PM   #23
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I would also like to say, that given your superb writing skills, you could easily create a quasi-reptilian world/universe of your own for a new original science fiction series. Who says it has to be based on humans?

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 04:12 PM   #24
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post

That's an good notion actually. (And I think NG has already touch upon it)
I do have my own ideas for the new time line, but give the rate at which I write it may be some time before they come to fruition.
This is the problem I would have...there are already Trek XI books written and that will be coming to press soon. And where I picture the Abramsverse going is very specific. So I would still rather not go professional.

I also own a huge apology to Neryrs Ghemor for not commenting on this fine piece of writing. The way that you have managed to capture the dichotomy of duty to the state (either willingly or coerced) and to the family is a testament to your impeccable skills as an author.
I believe that it was once said by one of our most famous poets that there are times that try men's souls, I think that for Berat this was one of those make or break times in his short life.
It definitely makes Gul Tyben Berat one of the most inspirational Cardassians in the trekverse.

Finally I want to join the chorus urging you to write the next great Cardassian novel.
Sorry, Thor, but you can't claim credit for that "poet's quote." That would be American revolutionary Thomas Paine. Nice try, though, Mr. Brit.

And thank you very much for reading...I'm glad you liked it. Berat's one of those characters that even in the bad times, I really enjoy writing because I can almost feel his strength as I do so. There's always this sense of "this COULD have broken him..." But it doesn't.

I would also like to say, that given your superb writing skills, you could easily create a quasi-reptilian world/universe of your own for a new original science fiction series. Who says it has to be based on humans?
LOL, well, I'd always be feeling like they're Cardassians in disguise! And goodness knows I've got quite the attachment to that grey-scaled species!
Old July 15 2009, 04:36 PM   #25
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Sorry, Thor, but you can't claim credit for that "poet's quote." That would be American revolutionary Thomas Paine. Nice try, though, Mr. Brit.
Ah my dear Nerys Ghemor, I think we're both right. For you see although Thomas Paine was a revolutionary (and one of the highest caliber) he was a Brit, just a very forward thinking one who rejected the reactionary ruling class of his native land.

And he wasn't the only one there were numinous riots againist the regime and massive support for both the American and French revolutions.
In fact Mr Paine was voted one of the greatest Britons a few years ago.

So in summation he was a limey revolutionary who played a key role in the American revoultion and we all love him for that.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2009, 12:16 AM   #26
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Well, you may be able to write a parallel universe story in an anthology...

And wonderful, wonderful story NG.
Old July 20 2009, 07:30 PM   #27
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

Excellent story! Poignant and very well-written.
Old July 21 2009, 01:53 AM   #28
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thank you much for reading.
Old July 30 2009, 06:11 AM   #29
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

You have a way with words, and with Cardassians. Superb. I look forward to reading more. One day I may even work up the nerve to try a fan fic of my own. I like to write. I've just always been very leery of writing already established characters or worlds, because people have definite ideas about who someone is or how something is. Nonetheless, you're quite the inspiration with your craft.
Old July 30 2009, 07:12 AM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

You should give it a try someday.

And thank you very much for your kind words, and for reading!

(Berat, however, was originally established in the novel Betrayal, so I can't take full credit for him. What happens to him after that novel, though--that's mine.)