Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 13 2009, 01:32 AM   #2131
apenpaap
Commodore

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

In the scene where the Doc first activated the ECH, I could hear the A-team song playing in my head. It fit perfectly. Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy is genius.
Old July 13 2009, 01:54 AM   #2132
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

I would give TTDS 3 stars out of 4.

I really have never cared when Trek did comedy. I prefer that to be left up to sitcoms. However, this one is one of the better efforts. I didn't quite find it the laughfest many seem to but then again my sense of humor is demanding. A lot of what some consider funny I usually find juvenile, shallow, forced or outright unfunny.

I was surprised though that this episode actually had some genuinely amusing notions such as the entire scene in the ready room where Janeway, Seven and Torres fight over the EMH. And there was some poignancy in the Doctor's hidden feelings and his secret longings.

If you are going to do a lightweight fluff piece this is how it should be done and "Spirit Folk" is how you shouldn't. Still as entertaining as it was I wouldn't consider it great.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 07:58 PM   #2133
Frazzled
Commander

I just don't 'get it'. I usually like it when Trek does comedy, I usually love the Doc. All you super informed trek fans seem to love TTDS. I should probably think it's the best episode ever (after Resolutions of course )

But I don't. I think it's just about the rubbishiest episode I've ever seen. I even prefer Threshold to this nonsense. It's just way way too overdone. Sorry!
Old July 13 2009, 10:40 PM   #2134
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Alice (*)

For ten whole years I've been waiting for the chance, to meet the Voyager writers to find out how this script passed, but now I've got to get over it and write a review for Alice. Alice? Why the f*#@ did they write Alice?!

Amusing aside; at one of my aunt's weddings the (catholic) priest who performed the ceremony got really pissed and started singing that song into a bottle, swears and all. We captured it on video.

The episode begins well, Voyager comes across a junk-yard in space and do a little trading, that's a good use of Voyager's premise. The Tom finds a shuttle and begins to obsess about fixing it up, which is a bit of a rehash of the worst element of Vis a Vis but I can live with it if it goes some place interesting. Instead the ship is alive and tries to kill Torres and kidnaps Tom and tries to fly into a particle fountain because it thinks that it is home. Why does it think a destructive space anomaly is home? My guess is that there is no reason and that was only used as ticking time-bomb to add "suspense" to the end of the episode. Oh, and I'm right, ten points for me!

There is no character development for Tom because everything Tom does here is under the influence of some silly magic ship that wants to kill itself.

PARIS: Oh, come on, Alice, how about it? Give us a break.
KIM: Alice?
PARIS: Well, I've got to call her something.
KIM: How about The Lost Cause?
PARIS: Alice Battisti was the Lost Cause. I knew her back in the Academy. She was smart, sexy, but she wouldn't give me the time of day.
KIM: All right, Alice it is.
Now clearly I don't know much about women, but I do know it would be a bad idea for me to name my car after "the one that got away" while in a serious relationship with someone else. This scene happened before Tom connected up to the magic interface that made him crazy, so why is he acting so stupid this early in the episode?
Old July 13 2009, 10:58 PM   #2135
JustKate
Rear Admiral

Now clearly I don't know much about women, but I do know it would be a bad idea for me to name my car after "the one that got away" while in a serious relationship with someone else. This scene happened before Tom connected up to the magic interface that made him crazy, so why is he acting so stupid this early in the episode?
Well, now...

I'd think it was funny, but I've been married, like, forever. Or maybe I'm abnormally non-jealous/non-possessive? (And I'm definitely not Klingon or half-Klingon.) Anyway, I thought it was funny when Tom said it, too, and it never so much as occurred to me that this would be a bad idea since he was in a serious relationship. I'm not too crazy about this episode, otherwise, mind you.

Last edited by JustKate; July 13 2009 at 11:35 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 11:34 PM   #2136
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

I actually enjoy "Alice". It is one of those obviously average shows that still manages to be entertaining. There really isn't a lot to really say about it except it held my attention. The episode also built on "Barge of the Dead" with Torres seeming to have grown especially with her relationship with Tom.

I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 4.
Old July 14 2009, 01:40 AM   #2137
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

JustKate wrote: View Post
I'd think it was funny, but I've been married, like, forever. Or maybe I'm abnormally non-jealous/non-possessive?
Maybe I'm just unlucky then, the women I've been with tend to get jealous if I even email another woman. If I named my car after a prior infatuation I would fully expect to find it as a burned-out wreck the next morning.
Old July 14 2009, 04:59 AM   #2138
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

For me Alice was harmless episode. Not brilliant, not even good, but not bad either. I might give it ** (in GodBen's scale).
Old July 14 2009, 11:54 AM   #2139
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Alice ranks with Trek's best comedy episodes for this line alone:

CHAKOTAY: We've already got a full complement of shuttles, not to mention the Delta Flyer. What do we need with this derelict ship?

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 12:54 PM   #2140
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

I like Tom and B'Elanna's fight in the corridor after he saves her from suffocating. It felt very real, and I don't think we'd seen Tom get that riled up before.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 10:08 PM   #2141
Seven of Five
Commodore

'Tinker, Tenor' was Voyager's best comedy episode, and ranks up there with the best Trek comedies. The Doctor's dream about B'Elanna, Seven and Janeway coming onto him in that meeting was hilarious, as was the computer suddenly gaining a bit of sentience. 'Last chance to be a hero Doctor. Get going!' (RIP Majel.) 4.5/5

'Alice' was rather disappointing coming off the first four episodes. Chakotay's comment about the full complement of shuttles had me lol-ing. Tom's character development is severly lacking, though his scenes with B'Elanna at the start are nice. It all delves into dull, silly nonesense - the malevolent Alice is particularly shite. 2.5/5

And what's next? Riddles? Oh dear, more missed opportunites.
Old July 14 2009, 11:11 PM   #2142
JustKate
Rear Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
JustKate wrote: View Post
I'd think it was funny, but I've been married, like, forever. Or maybe I'm abnormally non-jealous/non-possessive?
Maybe I'm just unlucky then, the women I've been with tend to get jealous if I even email another woman. If I named my car after a prior infatuation I would fully expect to find it as a burned-out wreck the next morning.
Well, but of course you're young (at least you seem so to me), so your prior infatuations aren't all that far in the past. Maybe that makes a difference. I mean, it would be absurd for me to be jealous of somebody from before we were married. It was in the previous century, for goodness' sake, and not all that near the end of the previous century, either.

I do know people who would be, though, but they are...well, nuts. There's another possibility for you.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 12:36 AM   #2143
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

So you're saying that my strange and potentially insane behaviour means I attract strange and potentially insane women?

Goodo, they're my favourite kind!

Riddles (*½)

NAROQ: Captain, I don't blame you for finding my theories a bit eccentric, I'm used to it. It's why I'm still a deputy investigator, but I've brought equipment to help your investigation. Let me examine Commander Tuvok and run scans on the vessel where he was attacked, I may finally be able to prove my theories!
There are many reason why I don't like this character, but that line sums it up for me. If I was captain of Voyager then I'd tell him to go home and ask the government to send a competent investigator instead. But no, lets make the insane conspiracy nut right.

I know some think that Neelix and Tuvok had a Spock/McCoy thing going on, but I never bought into that because McCoy was awesome and Neelix is less than awesome. When McCoy antagonised Spock it was normally based out of philosophical differences not because he's a twonk, and then Spock would half join in so that the audience could know that he was enjoying the discourse. Neelix seems to pick on Tuvok because he is different, and Tuvok genuinely seems to want Neelix to go away. It was a joy to watch Spock and McCoy antagonising each other, for me it is a chore to watch Neelix antagonising Tuvok, it's like watching one man slowly destroy another's soul because he thinks it's a laugh.

That's my fundamental problem with Riddles; I don't want Tuvok and Neelix to become friends, I want Neelix to learn to leave Tuvok alone.

Then there is stuff about aliens and cloaking devices and that stupid investigator guy, none of which made much of an impact.
Old July 15 2009, 02:11 AM   #2144
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

I liked Riddles. It gets 3 stars from me.

Normally I can't stand Neelix or Tuvok. The former is quite annoying and the latter is an unlikeable prick but surprisingly this episode manages to make them both quite pleasant to watch both individually and together. This is a VOY episode with a lot of nice touching character moments.

I also thought the aliens were neat.
Old July 15 2009, 02:47 AM   #2145
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
I liked Riddles. It gets 3 stars from me.

Normally I can't stand Neelix or Tuvok. The former is quite annoying and the latter is an unlikeable prick but surprisingly this episode manages to make them both quite pleasant to watch both individually and together. This is a VOY episode with a lot of nice touching character moments.

I also thought the aliens were neat.
I agree. One other thing I like about Riddles is Tim Russ availing himself of the opportunity to act beyond the rigid Vulcan exterior.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote