RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,409
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 506
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Are you..
Going to see it? 4 10.81%
Wait for the DVD? 8 21.62%
Neither? 25 67.57%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 12 2009, 12:28 PM   #16
Australis
Writer

Re: Jennifer's Body???

Pretty young girls, one determined to defeat the forces of darkness, a bounty of snappy one liners, fairly actiony, snappy horror, and the underlying angst of being in high school.

That about covers it.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 02:01 PM   #17
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post
fairly actiony
Speaking of ripping off Buffy, you can't get 'more Buffy' than adding "y" to a word in order to turn it into an adjective.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

I, for one, am glad to see Megan Fox getting out from under Michael Bay's thumb and taking on hard-hitting roles like this that only an actress of her superior poise and talent could tackle. I suspect she'll be the Katherine Hepburn or Meryl Streep of her generation.

I voted neither. This movie looks awful, and I already saw the only two parts worth seeing online last year.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Wow, the Megan Fox hate in here is palpable. Looks cheesy, but she's hot and I like horror flicks, so I'll go see it some afternoon. In the poll, at the moment, I appear to be the only one. Oh well, theatre all to myself.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
I think the writer, Diablo Cody, has a very unique and potentially entertaining style of writing (if sometimes a little too cutesy and irritatingly trying too hard to be 'quirky') and based on how much I enjoyed it in "Juno" (aside from some excessive 'quirk-age'), I'm interested in this movie.
Agreed, I'd see it just to see Cody's writing.
Old July 12 2009, 06:17 PM   #21
Aragorn
Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
Pretty young girls, one determined to defeat the forces of darkness, a bounty of snappy one liners, fairly actiony, snappy horror, and the underlying angst of being in high school.

That about covers it.
So Buffy invented that?

Hey, who are those OLD GUYS singing Britney Spears' "Satisfaction"? They're totally ruining it!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 05:21 AM   #22
Australis
Writer

'Buffy' honed it, and exemplified it.

Look, if you like it, that's fine. There's a lot of stuff I watch I bet you'd go over. It's no biggy.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 06:39 AM   #23
Aragorn
Admiral

Jennifer's Body doesn't interest me and I'm not going to see it unless I get a free e-ticket or something. I just take issue to people saying something ripped off something else when that something else isn't original either. It's not nearly as bad as people saying John Woo's style is a ripoff of The Matrix, but I do see it along the lines of people saying Wipeout is a ripoff of MXC.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 06:39 AM   #24
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Why can't they get Megan Fox to do a high quality movie kinda like Anne Hathaway got with Devil Wears Prada. I like her, but the movie selection is awful.
Old July 13 2009, 11:40 AM   #25
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Why can't they get Megan Fox to do a high quality movie kinda like Anne Hathaway got with Devil Wears Prada. I like her, but the movie selection is awful.
Probably for two reasons:

One, her tats would mean that she has to have extensive makeup, CG-retouching or wardrobe to cover them up, unless that tats fit her character. I'm guessing a tat of Madonna on the arm and the Decleration of Independence scrawled on your right shoulder blade (I know it's not the DoI) isn't going to suit a lot of characters.

Two, she can't act worth a shit.
Old July 13 2009, 01:49 PM   #26
Hermiod
Admiral

^Or, her character could just wear clothes for a change ? Lots of women her age have tattoos.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Your example of a high quality Anne Hathaway movie is "Devil Wears Prada"? I don't see how that's a huge step up from junk like "The Princess Diaries" or "Bride Wars". A better choice would be "Rachel Getting Married" or even "Brokeback Mountain" (I have problems with that movie, but I can't deny it's way more mature and intelligent than the majority of the other movies she's done).
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 04:43 PM   #28
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
Your example of a high quality Anne Hathaway movie is "Devil Wears Prada"? I don't see how that's a huge step up from junk like "The Princess Diaries" or "Bride Wars". A better choice would be "Rachel Getting Married" or even "Brokeback Mountain" (I have problems with that movie, but I can't deny it's way more mature and intelligent than the majority of the other movies she's done).
I've not seen Rachel getting Married yet. I used Devil wears Prada because it was opposite Maryl Streep and while they all suck, the oscars did recognize that movie. At the time I thought it was a good example.

Just looked up IMDB and Hathaway was in Brokeback. Imagine that.
Old July 13 2009, 09:04 PM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Or, her character could just wear clothes for a change ? Lots of women her age have tattoos.
Perhaps, but her having tattoos depends ont he director's "vision" for the character and the types, places and styles of tattoos she has may not fit very many characters. (The madonna tattoo and the lettering on her right shoulder stick out in my mind the most.)

If you're a director of a movie and you've a choice between equaly talented actresses, both are of the same attractivness and using one of them means no wardrobe restrictions or special makeup and one means having to have her always in long sleeves, no exposed back, or having to use heavy make-up/CGI who are you going to choose?
Old July 14 2009, 05:14 AM   #30
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

I might wait for the DVD.
That lake scene was filmed north of Vancouver, BC. in the Capalano(sp) lake.