The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2009, 12:28 AM   #121
Mal
Rear Admiral

Re: Firefly worth it?

Brandonv wrote: View Post
Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Brandonv wrote: View Post

Yesterday I bought Serenity and thought it was pretty good also.
It actually beat out Blade Runner & STTMP as my favourite movie of all time. I loved the series, but Serenity just blew me away.
I watched Serenity again yesterday, and I liked it a lot more the second time around. If I were to make a list of my top 10 sci-fi movies, I think Serenity would probably be in it now.

hey, don't get me wrong: firefly is my favorite show, but Serenity is not really in my top 10 movies. still, to each their own.
Old July 11 2009, 02:58 AM   #122
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Mal wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I see. Well, bringing the thread back on topic - as long as people are willing to entertain the possibility that the Alliance has heroes as well, I suppose I could call it even.

Since the Alliance won, I'm sure they have a whole lot of heroes.

you know what the definition of a hero is?
Yours probably isn't the same as mine.

I don't mean just whoever was on the winning side. I mean truly good, honorable people. If the Alliance is as ambiguous as people keep saying it is, surely they must have them as well?

I will say this, though. Probably my favorite line in all of FF comes from a script that was never filmed. I can't remember what the script was called, but it concerned Mal and company going up against one of his old comrades from the war who had turned homicidal (AFAIK, the guy was planting bombs at civilian factories - he was trying to start another war). Mal said something like this: "It isn't war when they're not shooting at you. Then it's just plain murder."
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 03:54 AM   #123
Chrisisall
Commodore

hey, don't get me wrong: firefly is my favorite show, but Serenity is not really in my top 10 movies. still, to each their own.
The movie was very Trek in it's messages of family & being true to your beliefs, IMO.

I will say this, though. Probably my favorite line in all of FF comes from a script that was never filmed. I can't remember what the script was called
"Dead Or Alive."
http://www.fireflyfans.net/feature.asp?f=45
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 05:48 AM   #124
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I will say this, though. Probably my favorite line in all of FF comes from a script that was never filmed. I can't remember what the script was called
"Dead Or Alive."
Yep, that's the one.

Leave it to me to have my favorite episode of a series be one that does not, technically, exist.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old July 11 2009, 07:53 PM   #125
ShimmeringFacet
Lieutenant Commander

SilentP wrote: View Post
even better if you can get it for $19.99.

even better if you can watch it for FREE.
Thanks Mal! I watched the first epi last night and so far....
ShimmeringFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 09:56 PM   #126
Blamo
Fleet Captain

It's good, but not as great as some of it's fans would have you believe (doesn't that go for all shows though). It definitely helps if don't mind the cowboy theme.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 12:41 AM   #127
Mal
Rear Admiral

^ I see. Well, bringing the thread back on topic - as long as people are willing to entertain the possibility that the Alliance has heroes as well, I suppose I could call it even.

Since the Alliance won, I'm sure they have a whole lot of heroes.

you know what the definition of a hero is?
Yours probably isn't the same as mine.

I don't mean just whoever was on the winning side. I mean truly good, honorable people. If the Alliance is as ambiguous as people keep saying it is, surely they must have them as well?

almost certainly.

after the civil war, both sides considered Robert E. Lee (Confederate) and Ulysses S. Grant (Union) to be heroes. and there were countless other nameless heroes on both sides (just watch Glory).

since firefly is in part a post-civil war allegory, i'd say it is very likely indeed.
Old July 12 2009, 12:50 AM   #128
Chrisisall
Commodore

since firefly is in part a post-civil war allegory, i'd say it is very likely indeed.
Mal (I love your avi btw), I got a question for ya: *SPOILERS FOR THE UNINITIATED!!!!!* When Mal (movie Mal) shot that surrendering Alliance dude on Haven, do you feel that was that warranted?

IMO the time it would take to hogtie & babysit him would have been potentially deadly to the group, not to mention that he was a member of the crew that killed Haven's peeps. So, in the end I feel it was. I've heard lots of other opinions that it was supposed to be Mal all Dark-Side-y & whatnot, but I think it was an act of survival.

How about you?
Old July 12 2009, 03:00 AM   #129
Mal
Rear Admiral

Mal (I love your avi btw), I got a question for ya: *SPOILERS FOR THE UNINITIATED!!!!!* When Mal (movie Mal) shot that surrendering Alliance dude on Haven, do you feel that was that warranted?

IMO the time it would take to hogtie & babysit him would have been potentially deadly to the group, not to mention that he was a member of the crew that killed Haven's peeps. So, in the end I feel it was. I've heard lots of other opinions that it was supposed to be Mal all Dark-Side-y & whatnot, but I think it was an act of survival.

How about you?
it seemed pretty much like murder. if he was too busy, mal could have told jayne or zoe to "take care of" the survivor (which zoe might have understood as tying him up, although jayne might have shot him first...). mal certainly didn't mind taking the time to chat up (and tie up) the operative before popping the video in for 'verse-wide distribution.

i think shepard's death was just a bit much for mal to handle at that moment.

ironically right there after, mal talks to the operative and says "i don't kill innocent people." (the operative says "i do").

maybe mal didn't think the survivor was innocent - they had just slaughtered the entire colony on haven just because mal and crew had taken refuge there before. mal - as captain - feels quite comfortable meeting out justice, even capital justice.

but really, i think it was just visceral. he was saying, in effect - look, i just shot that survivor, and i'll shoot anyone who gets in my way. now do your gorram jobs!
Old July 12 2009, 04:00 AM   #130
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

I mean truly good, honorable people. If the Alliance is as ambiguous as people keep saying it is, surely they must have them as well?

almost certainly.

after the civil war, both sides considered Robert E. Lee (Confederate) and Ulysses S. Grant (Union) to be heroes. and there were countless other nameless heroes on both sides (just watch Glory).

I'm cool with that.

Who knows, maybe
was such a person...
Old July 12 2009, 06:29 AM   #131
Mantiscare
Rear Admiral

ironically right there after, mal talks to the operative and says "i don't kill innocent people." (the operative says "i do").
He only said "I don't murder children." So still a pretty bad thing (which Joss Whedon pointed out in the commentary!) but not quite as hypocritical.
Old July 12 2009, 07:16 AM   #132
Chrisisall
Commodore

it seemed pretty much like murder.
Then, I take it, you've never been in a high-stress situation where every moment counted, and your life was hanging in the balance of your very next move. The law of the jungle cannot be understood by those who've not been forced into it, out of their comfort zone, and into the maw of violence & survival.
Just sayin'.
Old July 12 2009, 02:15 PM   #133
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I'm going to say most people in the thread probably haven't shot anyone in cold blood. That seems like a safe bet to me.
Old July 12 2009, 03:11 PM   #134
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

it seemed pretty much like murder.
Then, I take it, you've never been in a high-stress situation where every moment counted, and your life was hanging in the balance of your very next move. The law of the jungle cannot be understood by those who've not been forced into it, out of their comfort zone, and into the maw of violence & survival.
Just sayin'.
Have you? What you just wrote sounds like an excerpt from a very bad novel written by a bad writer.

Mal was in a crisis situation at this moment.. he lost close friends just because he had contact with them. He blames himself and takes it out on the nearest target.. a soldier who took part in the attack and was barely alive.

What makes Firefly so superior in realism than Trek is exactly such a scene.. everybody can relate to it, feel it and maybe act exactly the same. The fringe worlds in Firefly are a harsh place.. better shoot first when in doubt and live than be shot first.

This is why i like Firefly so much.. it is a gritty world and people do what they have to to survive. Morals are good and fine but sometimes you just don't have the option to follow morals to the bitter end. No one there likes to die and life is cheap.

It is the exact opposite of Trek and i can understand if people don't like it (well.. not really but i'm a Browncoat so ) but nevertheless i believe Firefly had a strong, solid core and could have done much were it not cut short.

Serenity just condensed what was supposed to be the main thread of the first few seasons.. it could have branched out in every direction but we'll never know.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 03:32 PM   #135
Mal
Rear Admiral

I mean truly good, honorable people. If the Alliance is as ambiguous as people keep saying it is, surely they must have them as well?

*snip*

Who knows, maybe
was such a person...
nice

who knows, maybe inara, um, "performed" beyond the call of duty during the war as well