RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,051
Posts: 5,431,163
Members: 24,926
Currently online: 614
Newest member: In_Correct

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 20 2009, 01:30 AM   #16
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm trying to figure out what gomme is.
Aren't you a bartender? Gomme sugar syrup.

(sorry, can't be arsed to figure out how to do the e acute at the end of gomme)

Try it, you'll like it.
I looked it up. I'm quite familiar with sugar syrup, and I use it all the time. But gomme, at least according to wiki, contains gum arabic, which I am unfamiliar with.

The sugar syrup I use is just sugar and water.
The gum arabic makes the sugar syrup a bit thicker, or rather "silkier" in terms of mouthfeel.
Holdfast is offline  
Old June 20 2009, 08:41 AM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

Holdfast wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post

Aren't you a bartender? Gomme sugar syrup.

(sorry, can't be arsed to figure out how to do the e acute at the end of gomme)

Try it, you'll like it.
I looked it up. I'm quite familiar with sugar syrup, and I use it all the time. But gomme, at least according to wiki, contains gum arabic, which I am unfamiliar with.

The sugar syrup I use is just sugar and water.
The gum arabic makes the sugar syrup a bit thicker, or rather "silkier" in terms of mouthfeel.
I still have no idea what it is.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old June 20 2009, 05:24 PM   #18
alol
Guest
 
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

* Go home, kid, mommy's calling. *
 
Old July 12 2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral
 
Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

You know, I got to ask:

Avatars...Does that fall under the political hot button issue? I took my avatar down a while ago, but I really have to wonder about skirting around the issue.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 08:57 AM   #20
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
You know, I got to ask:

Avatars...Does that fall under the political hot button issue? I took my avatar down a while ago, but I really have to wonder about skirting around the issue.
I wouldn't know without seeing the avatar in question or at least getting a description of it. You can post it here if you like.

Considering TLS's current avatar, I can't imagine yours would be worse. That's not a challenge to out-do him by the way.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 09:03 AM   #21
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral
 
Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
You know, I got to ask:

Avatars...Does that fall under the political hot button issue? I took my avatar down a while ago, but I really have to wonder about skirting around the issue.
I wouldn't know without seeing the avatar in question or at least getting a description of it. You can post it here if you like.

Considering TLS's current avatar, I can't imagine yours would be worse. That's not a challenge to out-do him by the way.
Naaa, it was the McCain, Palin one but I took it down too because it wasn't relevant anymore.

But my question still stands, since hot topic issues or political/controversial subjects are off the books, does that mean avatars as well? Because that can stir up a lot of crap as well.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 09:08 AM   #22
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post

Naaa, it was the McCain, Palin one but I took it down too because it wasn't relevant anymore.

But my question still stands, since hot topic issues or political/controversial subjects are off the books, does that mean avatars as well? Because that can stir up a lot of crap as well.
I'm sure the Mods watch for that, though. A troll is going to find any and every way to troll someone without being noticed by the staff. If not posts themselves, then avatars, signatures, locations and user titles.

J.
__________________

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now  
Old July 12 2009, 09:20 AM   #23
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral
 
Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post

Naaa, it was the McCain, Palin one but I took it down too because it wasn't relevant anymore.

But my question still stands, since hot topic issues or political/controversial subjects are off the books, does that mean avatars as well? Because that can stir up a lot of crap as well.
I'm sure the Mods watch for that, though. A troll is going to find any and every way to troll someone without being noticed by the staff. If not posts themselves, then avatars, signatures, locations and user titles.

J.
Well then why hasn't TLS been removed for the last few avatars he has had since he has been removed from TNZ?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 09:35 AM   #24
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post

Naaa, it was the McCain, Palin one but I took it down too because it wasn't relevant anymore.

But my question still stands, since hot topic issues or political/controversial subjects are off the books, does that mean avatars as well? Because that can stir up a lot of crap as well.
I'm sure the Mods watch for that, though. A troll is going to find any and every way to troll someone without being noticed by the staff. If not posts themselves, then avatars, signatures, locations and user titles.

J.
Well then why hasn't TLS been removed for the last few avatars he has had since he has been removed from TNZ?
I'm sure they could explain why.
I'm not privy to what they discuss.

J.
__________________

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is online now  
Old July 12 2009, 09:38 AM   #25
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral
 
Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

I'm sure the Mods watch for that, though. A troll is going to find any and every way to troll someone without being noticed by the staff. If not posts themselves, then avatars, signatures, locations and user titles.

J.
Well then why hasn't TLS been removed for the last few avatars he has had since he has been removed from TNZ?
I'm sure they could explain why.
I'm not privy to what they discuss.

J.
I would like to know if avatars ARE off limits. I got a few I would like to use but...
Thespeckledkiwi is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 10:01 AM   #26
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDementia13's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

Avatars are a Board-wide issue, not a Misc issue. There are definitely limits to what can be put in Avatars, Sigs and Locations; if there's a problem, Bonz, Spiff or an Admin will ask you to remove it. Or you can PM one of them with exactly what you want to use and let them check it out first.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDementia13 is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 10:05 AM   #27
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
I would like to know if avatars ARE off limits. I got a few I would like to use but...
So, what you want me to do is give you a yes or no answer establishing a precedent for a definitive new rule regarding political avatars without seeing exactly what it is you intend to use. Sorry, no.

Locutus, not born yesterday.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 10:17 AM   #28
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral
 
Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
I would like to know if avatars ARE off limits. I got a few I would like to use but...
So, what you want me to do is give you a yes or no answer establishing a precedent for a definitive new rule regarding political avatars without seeing exactly what it is you intend to use. Sorry, no.

Locutus, not born yesterday.
What I want to know is, does the political discussion/controversial topics apply to avatars as well?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 10:45 AM   #29
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

If it's the current avatar you're now using, I have no problem with that (it's about the same as TLS's, only more humorous than serious), but we're not going to make some hard rule. If people start trying to out-do each other with political avatars and it becomes a problem, then it's going to get cracked down on. If someone goes way over-the-top with an avatar or sig then we'll ask them to remove it. Drawing a definitive line in the sand only gives people an excuse to inch as close to that line as possible, which isn't acting on good faith, it's being an ass that barely tries to stay within the rules.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline  
Old July 12 2009, 11:40 AM   #30
freakishdane
Admiral
 
freakishdane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane
Re: Politics/Controversial Topics, Game Threads, Misc FAQ - READ THIS!

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Avatars are a Board-wide issue, not a Misc issue. There are definitely limits to what can be put in Avatars, Sigs and Locations; if there's a problem, Bonz, Spiff or an Admin will ask you to remove it. Or you can PM one of them with exactly what you want to use and let them check it out first.
But the rule-of-thumb is: If you find it necessary to ask, it probably is over the line.
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I cannot endorse anything in this post.
freakishdane is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
games

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.