Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old July 10 2009, 05:37 PM   #121
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

An Officer wrote: View Post
Hermiod is getting exactly what he wants from this thread - it is the same thing he wants from any thread, given the chance. It has to be about him, all the mods, and general posters must somehow be addressing him, or he is not happy. Every time you give him this attention, which he craves, it guarantees he will continue to act in exactly the same manner the next time, in order to get exactly the same results. It is a self-feeding cycle. Since he shows no sign of changing himself, this behaviour won't go away until the rest of us change.
I disagree, and think you're being unfair to him. It's not about craving attention. While I do think Hermiod has certain issues on this forum, I think those issues are best left to be discussed between himself and moderators. You're telling people he wants attention yet you singled him out here with no reason to. Leave it to the mods to deal with him, or find a different way to address this issue yourself. It's just going to derail the thread here if we keep discussing it. PM me if you want to talk, though.
Old July 10 2009, 05:45 PM   #122
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I don't really think anything can be done about the "sexism" issue because such a large proportion of the population here is male. It gives things a certain atmosphere and until the population evens out (which isn't likely) between male and female, it will stay that way.
You're right to an extent.

I don't think there is outright hostility,
I agree.

there is just a lot of drooling and fawning over women (which in my opinion may be worse than outright hostility)
Say what? You're trying to tell me that some poster saying he'd like to sleep with Jessica Biel is worse than someone telling you that you're a lesser person because you're a woman? That's ridiculous.

and a lot of turning normal discussions into a bunch of sexual innuendos about banging women.
I don't see that all that much.

It's very much a locker room discussion or boy's club type feel sometimes.
Having been in a boy's locker room I can tell you that it's really not.
Old July 10 2009, 05:46 PM   #123
An Officer
Vice Admiral

I cannot "deal" with him, I have no powers to... and you may be right. If you are, aren't you doing a bit of unofficial modding yourself? I am not the only non mod who has addressed Hermiod, I come after a long line, beginning with RoJoHen, followed by Pingfah, Camelopard, then Sidious618... I would tend to think you are guilty of "singling out" yourself.

Edit: Posted the above before I saw Kestra's own edit to take it to PM.
Old July 10 2009, 05:59 PM   #124
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Say what? You're trying to tell me that some poster saying he'd like to sleep with Jessica Biel is worse than someone telling you that you're a lesser person because you're a woman? That's ridiculous.
What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.
—T.S. Eliot
Old July 10 2009, 06:02 PM   #125
sidious618
Admiral

What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.
I'm sorry to inform you of this but no matter your gender and no matter your age you see attractive people in a sexual light. It's a fact (unless you're asexual). So, no, if someone comments on Jessica Biel or George Clooney they are not being a sexist jerk. That's a ridiculous, and yes overly sensitive, way of looking at things. It's complaints like this that cause the real ones to be brushed away because wolf has been cried too many times.
Old July 10 2009, 06:20 PM   #126
trampledamage
Clone

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm sorry to inform you of this but no matter your gender and no matter your age you see attractive people in a sexual light. It's a fact (unless you're asexual). So, no, if someone comments on Jessica Biel or George Clooney they are not being a sexist jerk. That's a ridiculous, and yes overly sensitive, way of looking at things. It's complaints like this that cause the real ones to be brushed away because wolf has been cried too many times.
Especially when we're talking about film stars (or I'm shit out of luck and about to get banned for my posts in the Karl Urban thread in Trek XI - much as I love him for his mind...)

I'd say a tighter line needs to be drawn when refering to other posters. And that goes for men -> women, women -> men, men -> men, women -> women. Because I've got to tell you all, for all that a lot of people are saying there's too much men -> women sexism, this has got to be the most "equal" board I've ever been on for the range of sexual comments that are made.

Here's a thought (and yes, I know I said I'd shut up last time I meandered on, will do this time, promise )

Start a new pictures thread. Open it with the rules that there are to be no overtly sexual comments. See how that goes for helping create a new atmosphere here.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
Old July 10 2009, 06:22 PM   #127
Hermiod
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
I do take you all seriously whether you think so or not. Take a note out of RJ's book though, it's not necessary to post in a manner that you know is going to get someone angry in order to moderate.
Which is also a good approach to use even when you're not a moderator.
Yet my WWRJD T-shirts remain unsold. Where's the justice ?
Old July 10 2009, 06:27 PM   #128
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Start a new pictures thread. Open it with the rules that there are to be no overtly sexual comments. See how that goes for helping create a new atmosphere here.
I think that's a good suggestion. I would also suggest when we start the thread perhaps putting the "no sexual comments" or "read OP before responding" in the title so people who come in to the thread when it's been going a long time know what the rules are.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old July 10 2009, 06:29 PM   #129
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
I miss this rule:

The best general guideline can be summed up in one phrase: use common sense when you post.
No shit.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 10 2009, 06:56 PM   #130
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
And your fun with selective quoting post is kinda just spamming. It doesn't address the topic at all.
Bloody hell it doesn't. I pointed out how taking a snippet of anything and making it stand alone can totally change the meaning.
Old July 10 2009, 07:37 PM   #131
sidious618
Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
I miss this rule:

The best general guideline can be summed up in one phrase: use common sense when you post.
No shit.
So you're just not going to address what I said about my quote?
Old July 10 2009, 08:29 PM   #132
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Probably not 'til Sunday. I'm out-of-town and supposed to be on vacation!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 10 2009, 08:31 PM   #133
sidious618
Admiral

Okay.
Old July 10 2009, 08:55 PM   #134
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Would it be sexist for me to say I have a very strong urge for Romulan Dark Ale?
Old July 10 2009, 09:57 PM   #135
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

....ehhhhh, I'm kind torn on this one.

I tend to take the net far less seriously, I guess, which is why most things don't bother me. If I posted a pic and someone said something alone the lines of rape or whatever, I wouldn't really care. I just don't see why people need to be so sensitive about the internet. It's a place where people escape and try to have some fun.

Is an issue like rape crossing the line? I'd say it would be if someone was raped irl and someone was making fun of that fact but if someone says to me "I'd rape you" after I posted a picture, I tend to take it as just another way of someone saying "you're hot" (I am not saying I am hot, I am just using this as an example) because I highly doubt they would actually mean they would find me and rape me. Even if they did, I'd beat the shit out of them anyways so no worries.

In all honestly, I will of course repect the rules but I also think people should lighten up. It's just the internet. People didn't really mind what was being said about a certain Failbat in TNZ but they care about those quotes? I know TNZ is a different zone but still, I think far worse things were said.

Just my opinion *shrug*