RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,219
Posts: 5,437,919
Members: 24,955
Currently online: 478
Newest member: r.ballman

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old July 10 2009, 05:37 PM   #121
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

An Officer wrote: View Post
Hermiod is getting exactly what he wants from this thread - it is the same thing he wants from any thread, given the chance. It has to be about him, all the mods, and general posters must somehow be addressing him, or he is not happy. Every time you give him this attention, which he craves, it guarantees he will continue to act in exactly the same manner the next time, in order to get exactly the same results. It is a self-feeding cycle. Since he shows no sign of changing himself, this behaviour won't go away until the rest of us change.
I disagree, and think you're being unfair to him. It's not about craving attention. While I do think Hermiod has certain issues on this forum, I think those issues are best left to be discussed between himself and moderators. You're telling people he wants attention yet you singled him out here with no reason to. Leave it to the mods to deal with him, or find a different way to address this issue yourself. It's just going to derail the thread here if we keep discussing it. PM me if you want to talk, though.
Kestra is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 05:45 PM   #122
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I don't really think anything can be done about the "sexism" issue because such a large proportion of the population here is male. It gives things a certain atmosphere and until the population evens out (which isn't likely) between male and female, it will stay that way.
You're right to an extent.

I don't think there is outright hostility,
I agree.

there is just a lot of drooling and fawning over women (which in my opinion may be worse than outright hostility)
Say what? You're trying to tell me that some poster saying he'd like to sleep with Jessica Biel is worse than someone telling you that you're a lesser person because you're a woman? That's ridiculous.

and a lot of turning normal discussions into a bunch of sexual innuendos about banging women.
I don't see that all that much.

It's very much a locker room discussion or boy's club type feel sometimes.
Having been in a boy's locker room I can tell you that it's really not.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 05:46 PM   #123
An Officer
Vice Admiral
 
An Officer's Avatar
 
Location: Reality & Other Falsehoods
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I cannot "deal" with him, I have no powers to... and you may be right. If you are, aren't you doing a bit of unofficial modding yourself? I am not the only non mod who has addressed Hermiod, I come after a long line, beginning with RoJoHen, followed by Pingfah, Camelopard, then Sidious618... I would tend to think you are guilty of "singling out" yourself.

Edit: Posted the above before I saw Kestra's own edit to take it to PM.
__________________
"Out there.... thataway."
An Officer is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 05:59 PM   #124
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Say what? You're trying to tell me that some poster saying he'd like to sleep with Jessica Biel is worse than someone telling you that you're a lesser person because you're a woman? That's ridiculous.
What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:02 PM   #125
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.
I'm sorry to inform you of this but no matter your gender and no matter your age you see attractive people in a sexual light. It's a fact (unless you're asexual). So, no, if someone comments on Jessica Biel or George Clooney they are not being a sexist jerk. That's a ridiculous, and yes overly sensitive, way of looking at things. It's complaints like this that cause the real ones to be brushed away because wolf has been cried too many times.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:20 PM   #126
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone
 
The Elephant's Graveyard's Avatar
 
Location: trampledamage has mysteriously disappeared...
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.
I'm sorry to inform you of this but no matter your gender and no matter your age you see attractive people in a sexual light. It's a fact (unless you're asexual). So, no, if someone comments on Jessica Biel or George Clooney they are not being a sexist jerk. That's a ridiculous, and yes overly sensitive, way of looking at things. It's complaints like this that cause the real ones to be brushed away because wolf has been cried too many times.
Especially when we're talking about film stars (or I'm shit out of luck and about to get banned for my posts in the Karl Urban thread in Trek XI - much as I love him for his mind...)

I'd say a tighter line needs to be drawn when refering to other posters. And that goes for men -> women, women -> men, men -> men, women -> women. Because I've got to tell you all, for all that a lot of people are saying there's too much men -> women sexism, this has got to be the most "equal" board I've ever been on for the range of sexual comments that are made.


Here's a thought (and yes, I know I said I'd shut up last time I meandered on, will do this time, promise )

Start a new pictures thread. Open it with the rules that there are to be no overtly sexual comments. See how that goes for helping create a new atmosphere here.
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:22 PM   #127
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Neroon wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
I do take you all seriously whether you think so or not. Take a note out of RJ's book though, it's not necessary to post in a manner that you know is going to get someone angry in order to moderate.
Which is also a good approach to use even when you're not a moderator.
Yet my WWRJD T-shirts remain unsold. Where's the justice ?
Hermiod is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:27 PM   #128
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
 
I Am Groot's Avatar
 
Location: I Am Groot
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Start a new pictures thread. Open it with the rules that there are to be no overtly sexual comments. See how that goes for helping create a new atmosphere here.
I think that's a good suggestion. I would also suggest when we start the thread perhaps putting the "no sexual comments" or "read OP before responding" in the title so people who come in to the thread when it's been going a long time know what the rules are.
__________________
We are Groot and Locutus of Bored.
I Am Groot is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:29 PM   #129
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Devilish's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
I miss this rule:

The best general guideline can be summed up in one phrase: use common sense when you post.
No shit.
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Devilish is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 06:56 PM   #130
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Screamy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
And your fun with selective quoting post is kinda just spamming. It doesn't address the topic at all.
Bloody hell it doesn't. I pointed out how taking a snippet of anything and making it stand alone can totally change the meaning.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Screamy is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 07:37 PM   #131
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
I miss this rule:

The best general guideline can be summed up in one phrase: use common sense when you post.
No shit.
So you're just not going to address what I said about my quote?
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 08:29 PM   #132
T'Devilish
T'Bonz - Romulan Curmudgeon
 
T'Devilish's Avatar
 
Location: Across the Neutral Zone
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Probably not 'til Sunday. I'm out-of-town and supposed to be on vacation!
__________________
Live long and suffer! - Ancient Romulan greeting.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Devilish is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 08:31 PM   #133
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Probably not 'til Sunday. I'm out-of-town and supposed to be on vacation!
Okay.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 08:55 PM   #134
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist
 
Occupy TNZ's Avatar
 
Location: Garak
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Probably not 'til Sunday. I'm out-of-town and supposed to be on vacation!
Would it be sexist for me to say I have a very strong urge for Romulan Dark Ale?
__________________
NO TO FREE MARKET YES TO FREE SHIT
Occupy TNZ is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 09:57 PM   #135
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain
 
Kirk's_Tights's Avatar
 
Location: Hugh Jackman's pants
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

....ehhhhh, I'm kind torn on this one.

I tend to take the net far less seriously, I guess, which is why most things don't bother me. If I posted a pic and someone said something alone the lines of rape or whatever, I wouldn't really care. I just don't see why people need to be so sensitive about the internet. It's a place where people escape and try to have some fun.

Is an issue like rape crossing the line? I'd say it would be if someone was raped irl and someone was making fun of that fact but if someone says to me "I'd rape you" after I posted a picture, I tend to take it as just another way of someone saying "you're hot" (I am not saying I am hot, I am just using this as an example) because I highly doubt they would actually mean they would find me and rape me. Even if they did, I'd beat the shit out of them anyways so no worries.


In all honestly, I will of course repect the rules but I also think people should lighten up. It's just the internet. People didn't really mind what was being said about a certain Failbat in TNZ but they care about those quotes? I know TNZ is a different zone but still, I think far worse things were said.

Just my opinion *shrug*
__________________
Краще, ніж ви.
Kirk's_Tights is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.