RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,911
Posts: 5,331,080
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 504
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old July 10 2009, 12:17 PM   #91
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I'd like to address some points.

Hermiod, get a blog. If your sexism towards men issue ever actually becomes a significant problem here outside of one poster who also happens to be you constantly harping on it, then get back to us. Otherwise, stop derailing unrelated threads with it and making everything about your personal crusade. It's to the point now where we want to have a discussion with the female posters about sexism issues (this has been an issue behind the scenes for a long time) but hesitate because we know you'll make it all about your little pet peeve inside of ten posts and won't let it go when asked. I think you've proven our concern accurate in this thread. I'm not going to argue with you about it in here after this, because that would quite frankly be a waste of time and would further derail the thread, but seriously, enough already.
To be honest with you - boo fucking hoo. You don't want to talk about it ? Fine. Just because somebody formalised the mini-modding you've been doing for as long as I can remember that doesn't mean you can say a word to me about disrupting threads when you've just done it yourself.

T'Bonz's post was about sexism in Misc and so was mine. There's nothing unrelated about it. If you don't like it, tough.
Not trying to take sides here, but by your own admission, Hermiod, the issue with male sexism happened too long ago for you to even be able to provide a reference for other people to look at. I've seen you post complaints about this issue many times, but I have never seen the source that caused the supposed problem. If you had a genuine concern regarding male sexism, and if that concern was not addressed or dealt with to your liking, I'm sorry about that, but I do think you need to back off.

Sexism of any kind should not be tolerated, but we also shouldn't need to spell that out for everyone. You just sound like a broken record every time you bring this up. Nothing is going to be done about your past issue. I suggest you get over it.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 12:22 PM   #92
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Just for Devil's Advocate purposes, I think there is a very big difference between saying "Obama is a liar because..." and "Obama is a lying jackass because...".

I personally don't care one way or the other, but some people might. I see no problem with insulting politicians (we insults plenty of other people, so I don't see why politicians would be protected). The problem is that often insulting politicians and political beliefs leads to fighting between posters. It's not the "Obama is a jackass" line that's the problem. It's the poster who responds by insulting the person who said that.
Which is why I'd give a friendly to tone it down if things got out of hand. But I don't think it should be automatically warnable. It depends on the context, the severity, and the justification for the comment IMO. There's nothing wrong with being genuinely angry with a politician and insulting them as a result if you can at least present a cogent argument to justify your anger.

I mean, that's the slippery slope of all slippery slopes if we're going to start mandating that not only is flaming posters not allowed, but flaming people who aren't even members here. Are we supposed to start giving warnings to people who say Michael Jackson is a pedophile? Some may find it offensive, and it can be trolling if it's said in a memorial thread for no reason other than to rile people up, but should the opinion not even be allowed to be stated? If people say B&B are idiots, is that warnable? If you call a Voyager character ugly, aren't you also insulting the person playing the character? I don't think anyone wants to go down that road.

Just the other day I called Congressman Pete King a dingus for complaining about the Michael Jackson media frenzy while contributing to it himself. Should that be warnable?

Those are just rhetorical questions, I know you're not personally suggesting this.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 12:25 PM   #93
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Just for Devil's Advocate purposes, I think there is a very big difference between saying "Obama is a liar because..." and "Obama is a lying jackass because...".

I personally don't care one way or the other, but some people might. I see no problem with insulting politicians (we insults plenty of other people, so I don't see why politicians would be protected). The problem is that often insulting politicians and political beliefs leads to fighting between posters. It's not the "Obama is a jackass" line that's the problem. It's the poster who responds by insulting the person who said that.
Which is why I'd give a friendly to tone it down if things got out of hand. But I don't think it should be automatically warnable. It depends on the context, the severity, and the justification for the comment IMO. There's nothing wrong with being genuinely angry with a politician and insulting them as a result if you can at least present a cogent argument to justify your anger.

I mean, that's the slippery slope of all slippery slopes if we're going to start mandating that not only is flaming posters not allowed, but flaming people who aren't even members here. Are we supposed to start giving warnings to people who say Michael Jackson is a pedophile? Some may find it offensive, and it can be trolling if it's said in a memorial thread for no reason other than to rile people up, but should the opinion not even be allowed to be stated? If people say B&B are idiots, is that warnable? If you call a Voyager character ugly, aren't you also insulting the person playing the character? I don't think anyone wants to go down that road.

Just the other day I called Congressman Pete King a dingus for complaining about the Michael Jackson media frenzy while contributing to it himself. Should that be warnable?

Those are just rhetorical questions, I know you're not personally suggesting this.
I completely agree with everything you're saying. Insulting someone who isn't a member here is harmless, even if it might occasionally be in poor taste. It's how people respond to the insult (or how the poster intended for people to respond) that should really be what we're looking at.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 12:36 PM   #94
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Not trying to take sides here, but by your own admission, Hermiod, the issue with male sexism happened too long ago for you to even be able to provide a reference for other people to look at. I've seen you post complaints about this issue many times, but I have never seen the source that caused the supposed problem. If you had a genuine concern regarding male sexism, and if that concern was not addressed or dealt with to your liking, I'm sorry about that, but I do think you need to back off.

Sexism of any kind should not be tolerated, but we also shouldn't need to spell that out for everyone. You just sound like a broken record every time you bring this up. Nothing is going to be done about your past issue. I suggest you get over it.
I was not able to find the specific post I was referring to. That's not the same as not being able to find examples, like this doozy from TerriO. (She got her way, by the way, they can make sperm with no male involvement now!)

Or the classic PKTrekGirl pot bellied rants, or HighteeHeller's classic "I'm swearing off men" thread. So, yes, I can come up with examples when I need to. The rules about images just happened to be the best one.
Hermiod is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 12:52 PM   #95
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

Which is why I'd give a friendly to tone it down if things got out of hand. But I don't think it should be automatically warnable. It depends on the context, the severity, and the justification for the comment IMO. There's nothing wrong with being genuinely angry with a politician and insulting them as a result if you can at least present a cogent argument to justify your anger.

I mean, that's the slippery slope of all slippery slopes if we're going to start mandating that not only is flaming posters not allowed, but flaming people who aren't even members here. Are we supposed to start giving warnings to people who say Michael Jackson is a pedophile? Some may find it offensive, and it can be trolling if it's said in a memorial thread for no reason other than to rile people up, but should the opinion not even be allowed to be stated? If people say B&B are idiots, is that warnable? If you call a Voyager character ugly, aren't you also insulting the person playing the character? I don't think anyone wants to go down that road.
In Michael Jackson's case, yes, it should be warnable because Jackson was never convicted of any crime. Unreservedly accusing someone of committing a criminal act, especially one as disgusting as sexually assaulting children, is an extremely dangerous and damaging act.

Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in innocent until proven guilty.
Hermiod is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 12:58 PM   #96
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Hermiod wrote: View Post

I was not able to find the specific post I was referring to. That's not the same as not being able to find examples, like this doozy from TerriO. (She got her way, by the way, they can make sperm with no male involvement now!)
No, they can't.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 01:23 PM   #97
Goliath
Vice Admiral
 
Goliath's Avatar
 
Location: The Fifth Dimension
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I was not able to find the specific post I was referring to. That's not the same as not being able to find examples, like this doozy from TerriO.
You mean, the "doozy" she posted in this context?

The "doozy" which you yourself let slide at the time?

Do you know what your problem is, Hermiod?

No, of course you don't. Let me explain.

Your problem is, you refuse to see that your continual cries of "wolf!" have guaranteed that nobody will take you seriously, even if a wolf is at the door.

You refuse to see that, by whining on and on like a broken fan, you've made yourself a liability to your own cause.

You refuse to see that your incessant carping on this issue has allowed anyone who disagrees with you to make it a question of personality rather than principle.

Even when I agree with you--and I have, on occasion, agreed with you--I would never say so publicly, because I don't want to be associated with you. A man is judged by the company he keeps.

Speaking as a man, I can only say: please--get off your hobby horse, and stop trying to defend us poor, downtrodden men from the monstrous regiment of women.

Frankly, we'd be stronger without you.
__________________
An illusion--with intelligence! A malignant vision, with a will of pure evil!
Goliath is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 01:28 PM   #98
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Hermiod wrote: View Post
In Michael Jackson's case, yes, it should be warnable because Jackson was never convicted of any crime. Unreservedly accusing someone of committing a criminal act, especially one as disgusting as sexually assaulting children, is an extremely dangerous and damaging act.

Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in innocent until proven guilty.
He is innocent until proven guilty... in a court of law. That has absolutely no bearing on personal opinion on an internet forum.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 02:50 PM   #99
An Officer
Vice Admiral
 
An Officer's Avatar
 
Location: Reality & Other Falsehoods
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I think T'Bonz's quoting of the Palin topic was just an example. An example to show discussion is fine, trolling and or flaming is not. I do not think it was meant to be taken so literally that anyone who says Seven of Nine's catsuit is too tight should be warned. That's just being silly now. If it was Seven of Nine is a jackass instead, that's trolling and would need a mod to step in if other posters took that badly. That's the kind of modding I would expect to be happening before this thread anyway.

This is a prime example of trying to understand the spirit of the law rather than the letter. The spirit I believe T'Bonz is trying to point out is that MISC is for discussion, those wanting to actively troll or flame, or just test out borderline offensive/funny discussions should take it to TNZ where it is welcome. Mods should be using their own god-given horse-sense rather than being so blindingly literal.

If you don't get bogged down by taking things so literally, there shouldn't be any modding difficulties arising from this.

If numerous and ongoing complaints have arisen from sexism, whether directed at a politician or a poster, then it is obvious there has been a lingering inbedded problem, which needed dealing with. I for one am grateful T'Bonz has taken action to put in a solid zero tolerance rule on sexism. The parameters on this were vague previously, and Misc mods have been letting it slide for far too long for fear of being over-zealous. I cannot even believe the Palin thread was allowed to go that far without one mod saying a word. Yes, a shaking up of the staff amongst themselves was definitely required, before we lost more valuable female contributors over this. A problem which could have been handles as simply as this long ago. I suppose we needed to hit rock bottom before we made changes, always the way though.
__________________
"Out there.... thataway."

Last edited by An Officer; July 10 2009 at 03:05 PM.
An Officer is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 02:57 PM   #100
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Camelopard wrote: View Post
Frankly, we'd be stronger without you.
I could easily repeat everything you just said in terms of the moaning the women and the people who agree with them on this board come out with every time anyone says anything vaguely negative about women.

I am not talking about this case, the comments about Sarah Palin were way over the top. I'm talking about the comments in the thread I linked to, or people moaning and complaining about side boobs or stereotypes about women spending all their money on shoes.

All I want is an equal playing field. If everyone else shuts up complaining and being over sensitive about gender (and other topics like, as someone else pointed out above, weight) then I will have no reason to say a word.

If, on the other hand, we are going to be oversensitive about things then it has to go both ways. I would prefer to talk about other things and I do talk about other things but if I have to walk on eggshells just in case I offend somebody then everybody else can too.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
He is innocent until proven guilty... in a court of law. That has absolutely no bearing on personal opinion on an internet forum.
I know, I just think that some accusations go beyond personal opinion and cross in to libel, almost. People who make those sort of accusations are very brave, I'm sure, doing so on an anonymous internet forum. They would not be so brave doing so in front of the accused's lawyers. Freedom of speech applies right up until the point you make accusations that you cannot prove.
Hermiod is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 03:28 PM   #101
trampledamage
Clone
 
trampledamage's Avatar
 
Location: hitching a ride to Erebor
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

An Officer wrote: View Post
If numerous and ongoing complaints have arisen from sexism, whether directed at a politician or a poster, then it is obvious there has been a lingering inbedded problem, which needed dealing with. I for one am grateful T'Bonz has taken action to put in a solid zero tolerance rule on sexism. The parameters on this were vague previously, and Misc mods have been letting it slide for far too long for fear of being over-zealous. I cannot even believe the Palin thread was allowed to go that far without one mod saying a word. Yes, a shaking up of the staff amongst themselves was definitely required, before we lost more valuable female contributors over this. A problem which could have been handles as simply as this long ago. I suppose we needed to hit rock bottom before we made changes, always the way though.
Hmm... maybe this thread would have been better placed in the Briefing Room. It seems to me we don't need new rules, but the people in Misc have been allowed to get away with making comments that are upsetting to a lot of people. The way to deal with that is to get the mods to pay closer attention and to tell the posters themselves that such a comment crossed a line.

As has come up within this discussion, some of these comments are jokes that not everyone finds funny. Certainly most of the questionable comments in the photo threads are meant to be humourous rather than seriously creepy. Pointing out that a joke crossed the line, helps everyone measure what's allowable and what isn't.
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 03:33 PM   #102
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I do think that this has passed just being a BR discussion. Maybe it should have been a Misc discussion instead of a rule change right away, but this thread is definitely needed. There are posters who think there are problems in misc with sexism and there are posters who think that misc is perfectly fine. Moderators have differing opinions but are torn how to please both. We really do need a board consensus in some way. Right now, here is the rules as Bonz has outlined them. But if she wasn't open to feedback for a better way, this thread wouldn't still be open.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 03:49 PM   #103
An Officer
Vice Admiral
 
An Officer's Avatar
 
Location: Reality & Other Falsehoods
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I think finding a board consensus is unlikely, there are too many differing opinions, among staff and among posters. It was necessary for T'Bonz to step in and make a ruling one way or the other. Either we go on as before, or we make changes. Is there a middle ground? If there is, I would be curious to hear it.
__________________
"Out there.... thataway."
An Officer is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 04:02 PM   #104
Da'an
Commander
 
Da'an's Avatar
 
Location: Shibuya UG
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Does this board use spoiler tags? Maybe people who are unsure if their jokes would "cross the line" can be persuaded to spoiler code their suggestive comments, so that those who may take offense, don't read them unless they want to?
Da'an is offline  
Old July 10 2009, 04:04 PM   #105
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Sidious already explained the reasoning behind his comment, and why he thinks it should be removed. It was playing off another related comment, and he acknowledged that they should stop. So, I'll let that stand with his own argument.
Appreciate it, mate.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.