RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 539
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old July 9 2009, 09:29 AM   #16
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
T'Bonz wrote: View Post
watch me as I rape your face.
Wow.

J.
I know. Someone actually saw 'Hamlet 2'
Old July 9 2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Hermiod
Admiral

^Apparently two people saw Hamlet 2.
Old July 9 2009, 10:12 AM   #18
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hoser wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Wow.

J.
I know. Someone actually saw 'Hamlet 2'
I have no idea what you are talking about so I looked it up.
Wow was right.

J.
Brony Kingdom
Old July 9 2009, 10:16 AM   #19
Hoser
Hoser

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Apparently two people saw Hamlet 2.
I had someone say it to me a while ago in Guild wars.
I do so hate PvP.

But yeah, it was 'well used' enough for me to have to ask and then google it. No, haven't seen it yet......I still have a list of movies to watch when the kids are asleep (which seems to be never).

Hoser, watching the dawn but not 'Red Dawn'.
Old July 9 2009, 10:20 AM   #20
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

Question. Can i still hit on the guys?

Seriously though, i would like to just laugh it off as guys being guys and all that jazz but that Palin thread certainly not only crossed the line, but threw up on it.

Heh, when I'm offended, that's pretty bad.

Old July 9 2009, 10:22 AM   #21
Hoser
Hoser

Oh my.....
Old July 9 2009, 11:43 AM   #22
Da'an
Commander

It's died down a lot recently, but there has been some extremely sexist bullshit directed towards men on this board. Much of it even enshrined in this board's rules.
The Misc. board or the website as a whole?
Old July 9 2009, 11:53 AM   #23
Hermiod
Admiral

Da'an wrote: View Post
It's died down a lot recently, but there has been some extremely sexist bullshit directed towards men on this board. Much of it even enshrined in this board's rules.
The Misc. board or the website as a whole?
The board as a whole.
Old July 9 2009, 12:03 PM   #24
Roger Wilco
Admiral

For example?
Old July 9 2009, 12:04 PM   #25
Hermiod
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
For example?
Here you go.

Aragorn's GBotW threads get checked over with a magnifying glass just in case someone might spot the tiniest amount of breast while, at the same time, we get pictures of guys with champagne bottles narrowly covering strategic areas.
Old July 9 2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I agree, that the mods may be a little overzealous in regards to nudity, but that's hardly a shocking example of sexism.
Old July 9 2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Scout101
Admiral

Some of that stuff is clearly over the line, but people are being overly sensitive as well. Good example of that would the holy war that is set off any time someone uses the word "fat".

As for the politics part: what did you honestly expect? You've taken the posters that have proven that they are too big a troll to be allowed in TNZ, a "free for all" forum, and told them that they can still post in MISC, and expect them to suddenly play nice, with no trolling or baiting. Seriously? They couldn't behave in TNZ, so how was this rationally supposed to work? That some of these TNZ castoffs (and yes, they bring their opponents in to fight with them, because otherwise, where would the fun be?) are stiring up political stuff in MISC, you have only yourselves to blame. This wasn't a problem before that 'lil policy was put into place. Maybe if someone is too big a troll to post in a trolling-allowed forum, you should boot them entirely, instead of putting them in here with these delicate flowers?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old July 9 2009, 12:24 PM   #28
Hermiod
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I agree, that the mods may be a little overzealous in regards to nudity, but that's hardly a shocking example of sexism.
It's only applied in such a manner when it comes to one gender.

The best example actually comes from this thread.

I have had multiple complaints lately from women on our BBS about the tone in this (and sometimes other) forums. Some women feel unwelcome and uncomfortable on parts of the board, due to a very nasty tendency of some men (note the "some") to express themselves in a way that makes women uncomfortable.
I'm assuming this issue came up because of the thread about Sarah Palin's resignation that Locutus locked. The mods did their job there. It's clearly a horrible thread and it got locked. What more did the people who complained directly to T'Bonz want ?

The comments that got it locked were, arguably, trolling anyway. We have an existing rule to deal with that. Would comments that were equally offensive but not derogatory towards women have received equal priority ?
Old July 9 2009, 12:25 PM   #29
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Maybe if someone is too big a troll to post in a trolling-allowed forum, you should boot them entirely, instead of putting them in here with these delicate flowers?
We don't decide who posts in TNZ, the TNZ mods do.

Surely you're not suggesting we allow the TNZ mods to decide who gets banned from the board.
Old July 9 2009, 12:36 PM   #30
Scout101
Admiral

Since it seems to take an act of congress (and running through the BR for consensus) before punting someone from TNZ anyway, you tell me. Instead of trying to be cute, though, how about admiting that that IS the problem, and that it's the TNZ castoffs (and then their 'enemies' that follow them around) that are causing these problems. It's not like it's subtle, or by strange, unknown posters. It's fairly obvious, by all the familiar names, and then the TNZ rabble piles on, trying to play the usual games. Allow the same ex-TNZ trolls to run around baiting long enough, not a shocker that things are going to get worse. And then once a thread has all the TNZ regulars in it, it starts to take on a TNZ tone. Shocker!

Suppose a *I'm SHOCKED at this behavior* thread at the top of the forum is easier than dealing with it, or admitting that it was pretty predictable.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Closed Thread