Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Closed Thread

Old July 9 2009, 02:29 AM   #1
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I know this is long. You need to read it anyhow. If not, don't blame me when I warn you, OK? I will post it in separate sections in this thread.

Issue #1. Inappropriate Content:

I have had multiple complaints lately from women on our BBS about the tone in this (and sometimes other) forums. Some women feel unwelcome and uncomfortable on parts of the board, due to a very nasty tendency of some men (note the "some") to express themselves in a way that makes women uncomfortable.

Hell, I'm thick-skinned, due to growing up with a rather vulgar brother, but after reading some of what I read, while I'm not uncomfortable, I'm angry.

Here are some examples from a nasty little thread. Bear in mind that over time, I've seen equally ugly little comments in other threads, about men wanting to "do" women and such. But so you can see what I find problematic, here is a sampling of some sexist crap:

(Warning, this is some unpleasant stuff. Be prepared before you read.)

Nobody's scared of the racist little bitch.
watch me as I rape your face.
I however just want to give it to her one way. In the arse. Man that chick is so hot.
One can only hope that hot little tart Sarah Palin resigned to follow her life long calling - serving me drinks in as little clothing as possible and licking my asshole with that sumptuous mouth of hers upon request.
Responding to that:

"Just bend right over this board..."
Photo captions for pic of Palin:
I'm stretchin' for ya...doncha know.
and
Any tighter and we'd be in camel toe territory. that body is wasted on her.
"must not fap"
This was all FROM ONE THREAD.

I don't want to EVER see this kind of crap in Misc again. It is DRIVING off women, making the female mods uncomfortable (and me angry, since I always have to be different :/ ) and making those who are saying this look like they're sexist with no respect for women.

Is that what you want to show?

Now if you do this in the Wild-West TNZ, that's one thing. People know what they're in for there and can opt out.

But no more in Misc. It ends NOW.

Don't say sexist things like this. Don't say CREEPY things when women post their photos or say things in Misc. Don't do it.

Because it will be warned from here on out.

Next part: Misc-TNZ and Politics.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 9 2009, 02:35 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Hell, I'm a guy and found some of that stuff offensive.
Old July 9 2009, 02:38 AM   #3
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

2. Misc-TNZ and Politics:

Misc is NOT TNZ. Discussion is to be civil in here.

Civil means just that. It means NO INSULTING.

The Sarah Palin thread is a perfect example of why I did not want politics in Misc. Because what happened was that while some actually discussed the politics and why they liked/disliked Palin (and it could just as well been Hillary, Obama, Bush, take your pick) too many turned it into insults.

THAT IS NOT WHAT WILL FLY IN MISC!!

Acceptable: I don't like Sarah Palin because she was a hypocrite." (giving the reason why you feel she was hypocrite.) OR "I don't like Obama because he is not keeping his promise" (again giving a reason.)

NOT ACCEPTABLE:

- Palin is a jackass.
- Obama is a jackass

Neither are discussion. Both are insults. This is not the place for insults. If you need to attack a politician personally (not the politics or what he/she has done, but a personal attack,) that is NOT for Misc. That type of discussion may occur in TNZ.

If you want politics in here, this is how it will be. The mods will warn you if you get personal like you have been with political stuff.

You MAY still post political stuff. You may not post things which are insulting a person, not their policy and you may not say sexist or racist things.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 9 2009, 02:47 AM   #4
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
watch me as I rape your face.
Wow.

J.
Old July 9 2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

Interesting. Comments like that would earn you an IP ban at Home Shop Machinist or CNCzone.
Old July 9 2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Aurian
Vice Admiral

No problem with mods warning for that stuff. When I read them I thought that the bar had gotten really low since I last posted in misc..
Old July 9 2009, 06:49 AM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aurian wrote: View Post
No problem with mods warning for that stuff. When I read them I thought that the bar had gotten really low since I last posted in misc..
I thought, "Isn't this the kind of crap that got 'hot button' topics banned from Misc in the first place?"

People must have very short-term memories.
Old July 9 2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Those are all disgusting. I couldn't blame anyone for being offended by those posts.
Old July 9 2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Hermiod
Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Don't say sexist things like this. Don't say CREEPY things when women post their photos or say things in Misc. Don't do it.
That works both ways.

It's died down a lot recently, but there has been some extremely sexist bullshit directed towards men on this board. Much of it even enshrined in this board's rules.

I am not defending the comments you've highlighted, they're disgusting.

So, sure, don't say sexist things is a good rule, but lose the "like this" part.
Old July 9 2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

THANK YOU.
Old July 9 2009, 07:37 AM   #11
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Wow, I'm shocked after reading some of those examples. There were many reasons I haven't posted that much in MISC, but that wasn't one of them. I was thinking about coming back to try to post here in this forum more but with examples like that, I'm almost afraid to, and I'm a guy.
Old July 9 2009, 07:41 AM   #12
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Indeed. That stuff is the reason I do not subscribe to TNZ. Seeing it here was very sickening indeed, especially with how many people piled on.
Old July 9 2009, 07:49 AM   #13
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Wow, I'm shocked after reading some of those examples. There were many reasons I haven't posted that much in MISC, but that wasn't one of them. I was thinking about coming back to try to post here in this forum more but with examples like that, I'm almost afraid to, and I'm a guy.
Perhaps you missed the "THAT IS NOT WHAT WILL FLY IN MISC?"
Old July 9 2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Indeed. That stuff is the reason I do not subscribe to TNZ. Seeing it here was very sickening indeed, especially with how many people piled on.
Honestly some of this is worse than what is usually posted in TNZ.
Old July 9 2009, 07:51 AM   #15
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Perhaps you missed the "THAT IS NOT WHAT WILL FLY IN MISC?"
Not now anyway. I didn't miss it, but the simple fact that they were even quoted just made me wonder.