Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 7 2009, 06:34 AM   #91
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: *Spock/Zachary Quinto Appreciation Zone*

NileQT87 wrote: View Post
Three seasons are really not hard to watch (seriously, it took me about 4-5 days to blast right through them, but then again, I'm a marathon queen--I've watched entire seasons in 1 day before).

And I disagree with the decline. Season 3 was amazing, IMO. Season 2 had issues because of the Writer's Strike. Sylar is far more prominent in season 3 than he was in season 1.

But if you want to just watch episodes with a ZQ/Sylar-focus (his character is easily the most fun and multi-dimensional on the show), there's only 47 episodes that he was in out of the total 56.

If there's any episode that is known as the 'hook' episode, it's episode 1x09 - Homecoming. His first episode was 1x08 - Seven Minutes To Midnight, but all he does is sit at a diner in the shadows, show his cracked Sylar watch and can-open the waitress' head as she uses the can-opener. You don't see ZQ's face (once again, obscured by shadow) until Homecoming, and even then you only see his eye until his hat is taken off at the end. This episode is very necessary, however, to show what the series is about as well as to introduce Sylar. The first episode that really showcases ZQ as an actor is 1x10 - Six Months Ago, in which you get to see the Gabriel Gray part of Sylar (the watchmaking prehistory). 1x11 - Fallout is where the events of Homecoming continue and features some amazing scenes between Sylar, who has become totally insane, and Noah Bennet a.k.a. Horn-Rimmed Glasses.

Probably ZQ's best or most memorable episodes were:
Homecoming, Six Months Ago, Fallout, Distractions, Parasite, The Hard Part, How To Stop An Exploding Man, Kindred, Truth And Consequences, The Second Coming, One Of Us, One Of Them, I Am Become Death, Angels And Monsters, Villains, The Eclipse pt. 2, Dual, Shades Of Gray, Into Asylum, I Am Sylar & An Invisible Thread.

I think you can more or less piece together his journey with these. The Gabriel episodes (if slightly sociopathic, dorky watchmaker with mother issues that make him want to be "special" is more appealing to you than the absolutely delightful skull-slicing "magnificent bastard" unkillable serial killer) are Six Months Ago, The Hard Part (probably ZQ's best acting!), Villains & I Am Sylar (also one of his greatest performances). Shades of Gray goes a long way to show just why Sylar has more layers than just the "Sylar" image he puts on--it basically shows a mirror image of himself in his father and what he doesn't want to become.

Here's a fanvid that is pretty much The Hard Part and Fallout/the rest of season 1 in a nutshell (with a little help from Queen): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTDs44-n5c

(God, I love his facial expressions in The Hard Part.)

And anything Sylar/Noah is pretty much gold.

If it helps, George Takei and Nichelle Nichols have recurring roles on the show!
I think that Homecoming was Zach's first episode in Heroes. Sylar was played by stuntmen before that - the role hadn't even been cast.

I don't think a serialized show like Heroes can really be watched by skipping episodes. You'd just get lost that way. And season 1 is quite good overall, even without Sylar. I enjoyed the first 8 or 9 episodes even if he wasn't in them except as a faceless threat. Well, actually, season 1 was very good until the finale, which I found very disappointing.

Season 2 was too disjointed aand there were boring parts. Season 3 is more interesting, but in Volume 3 (first part of season 3) the story is particularly complicated, so much that it's difficult to understand even when you're watching all the episodes - skipping episodes would probably make it completely confusing!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:37 AM   #92
diftorhehsmusma
Lieutenant Commander

There seem to be a lot of pictures of him where if there's a bright light shining in his eyes, his eyes kind of take on an amber glow. What you're seeing is a bright light shining in his eyes. It's not digitally altered because there are numerous photos of him with glowy amber eyes with light reflections.

Personally, I think that's a great shot of him. Very appealing.
No, i meant the whites of his eyes. i have known or dated far too many digital arts people not to be sensitive to this - someone definitely put that shot in photoshop and whitened his eyes just a bit too much.
sad, too, cause otherwise i agree with you, it was a good photograph before someone messed it up.

One thing that I always notice with him is his open bite (his front teeth aren't aligned properly and have a space in front between his upper and lower teeth). It's kind of cute. I like it when actors have personality in their not-so-perfect teeth. His open bite also adds to his long-jawed appearance and the constant persing of his lips.
that is totally cute. who wants perfection? not me! (and certainly not anyone who's a big fan of this sylar fellow!) OTOH, in many ways he is perfect, and the fact that he seems human does not diminish how great he appears. it just makes it that much easier to imagine actually meeting him and having a conversation.
diftorhehsmusma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:42 AM   #93
diftorhehsmusma
Lieutenant Commander

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I don't think a serialized show like Heroes can really be watched by skipping episodes. ....the story is particularly complicated, so much that it's difficult to understand even when you're watching all the episodes - skipping episodes would probably make it completely confusing!
yeah, i know how that is. but i simply don't have the energy to devote to it. i am a pretty smart gal, i shall have to just make the best go of it that i can, in the space that i can.

thanks for all the input!
diftorhehsmusma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 07:17 AM   #94
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

Well, yeah. It's not a show that I recommend seeing out of order, but if you had to pick a first episode to knock someone's socks off who is fighting watching it and you need a quick pay-off to get their interest up, Homecoming is probably your best bet (and it's early enough to where it should all make sense).

I didn't find season 3 to be all that confusing... But then again, I love the infamous season 4 of Angel: the Series (LMAO) a.k.a. the season-long depressing episode. For the record, that show is the king of moral ambiguity where the heroes and villains aren't actually all that far apart (for goodness sake, Angelus' killing record makes Sylar look like a pansy--a show whose main character is pretty much Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde). I tend to like shows like that. Heroes is not the show you watch for Superman-like pearly white heroics. It's kind of brilliant how on the surface it seems like it should be, but then it's undercut by the fact that not all these characters should have these powers, some of the powers suck (or are even harmful for characters who want to be good guys) and not all of the good guys want to be anything special.

Okay, I just watched waaaaaay too many Sylaire videos. Heh. I dig that pairing a lot (the fact that I'm a sucker for explorations of immortality won me over and I look forward to a possible redemption arc--"You could save us all."--and Sylar promising to be a better Nathan than Nathan was and thus getting to be "special" in Nathan's life like he always wanted). Is it September yet?

As for Trek... Is it 2011 yet? Sigh.

I actually thought season 3 had some of the most interesting character developments (I am so looking forward to more Sylar/Claire and Sylar/Nathan in season 4+) and episodes yet (Sylar/Noah, Sylar/Angela and Sylar/Danko being other favorite combinations of mine).

And I have to give a shout-out to Heroes for making the most accidental, but blatant incest chemistry since Luke and Leia (yes, I'm talking about Paire--Peter/Claire). It's priceless how everybody was lead to believe that Peter and Claire had 'shippy vibes and then BAM! Yeah, that's not going to happen. Luke and Leia still win for their epic incestuous imagery that will NEVER be lived down (ESB, anyone?). Well, that basically left Sylar for Claire as the only eligible bachelor who means anything to her, is leading man-worthy and isn't related to her. LOL. Now there's a pair. Not to mention the fact that Sylar now has a head full of daddy Nathan's memories. Sylar just might be sick enough to continue his infatuation. And hey, they both have a little immortality problem where they will be stuck together for eternity unable to kill each other.

As for my Spock/McCoy love... Off to finish off season 1 and head for season 2 tonight. The Horta liked Spock's ears. LMAO. That was adorable. The Alternative Factor was kind of a blegh episode, though.

I've already seen City On The Edge Of Forever (which, by the way--awesome--and it was even critical of the anti-war movement, which was appreciated--it almost makes up for "save the whales"). CotEoF make me a big fan of Spock incognito. The beanie was priceless. And of course, a touching ending, even if the woman was totally misguided. Nice little brain-f*ck episode.

Aww. More Spock/McCoy cuteness. McCoy was the first thing Spock saw when he regained his eyesight and McCoy was so wrapped up with Spock's eyesight that he forgot about his ears. Priceless moment. I love those two at odds with each other.

Who Mourns For Adonais? - Spock/Uhura interaction! Okay, that Olympian-sized God effect was probably a bad special effect choice. The message about gods and Greek civilization was good, though. Spock looks like Pan? LOL. I liked Carolyn's outfit and hair. One thing about the '60s is that the bouffant hair always fascinates me. Speaking of which, McCoy quoted the word "fascinating". Funny.

Last edited by NileQT87; July 7 2009 at 10:26 AM.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 04:30 PM   #95
KimMH
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
oldstredshrtevr wrote: View Post
thanks for the eye candy everyone! I started a thread about how hot he was the day after I saw it May 7. no one noticed - still going on about Chris Pine everyon was . . .
I remember that thread -- a casualty of timing, I think. In the week the movie opened, forum traffic jumped to about ten times the usual volume and threads were sliding off the front page sometimes in less than an hour. Topics which weren't constantly jumping to the top like salmon leaping the falls were just getting lost in the flood.

Thanks for the nod. You turn a very pretty phrase I must say! Trekkies = salmon
Old July 7 2009, 06:42 PM   #96
Rackon
Commander

Some more interesting pics:

Hey, these are all sexy:

Whoohoo--Urban, Quinto, Saldaña, Pine and Abrams!:

(Uncropped with Pine and Abrams): http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/a...9-On-Set-1.jpg

Don't know if anyone else here as seen it, but ZQ's Bordeaux video is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KSOdrZ6yEk
GASP CHOKE SPLUTTER!!!!!!!!

Wrecked my lunch hour, you have...got done - NOTHIN!
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 06:12 AM   #97
Aurian
Vice Admiral

Aaaaaaaahhhh.. yumyumyum... He really is a hunk of a man..

Sorry, it is too early in the morning to be more eloquent..
Old July 8 2009, 02:29 PM   #98
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

The two hottest guys on the show (No, really. HRG rocks!):

Gotta love the finger o' doom:

It's all about those big, huge eyes and cute persed cupid bow lips:
I just saw the eipsode these are from. Most favoritest Heroes episode EVER!!! Crockett and Tubbs ride again. (Quinto on Ellen reference).

And what does HRG stand for? Does it just refer to Noah?
Old July 8 2009, 03:06 PM   #99
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post

HRG = Horn rimmed glasses. Noah Bennet was nicknamed HRG in season 1 when his name still wasn't known to the audience, and it stuck.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 03:13 PM   #100
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post

HRG = Horn rimmed glasses. Noah Bennet was nicknamed HRG in season 1 when his name still wasn't known to the audience, and it stuck.
Aaaaaaaahhh! Okay, I get it. So Sylar's BMFE (or Big MFing Eyebrows?)
Old July 8 2009, 03:49 PM   #101
NileQT87
Commander

View NileQT87's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NileQT87 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NileQT87 Send a message via Yahoo to NileQT87

MF-ing Eyebrows--Haha! Funny. Nah, just "Sybrows". It's hilarious that ZQ's first breakout role that broke his typecasting as villains was sans his most definitive feature--his big honking eyebrows! You can tell from interviews that he missed his eyebrows for those 6 months. Apparently he had a unibrow when he was younger. LOL. Poor guy. Luckily, some people find all that hairiness attractive. He's even got heart-shaped chest hair.

HRG means "Horn-Rimmed Glasses". It's what the character was called before the writers ever gave him a name (which turned out to be Noah Bennet). They were going for that whole mysterious persona thing for a while until they gave him a name.

And yep, One Of Us, One Of Them and Angels And Monsters (that last picture is from the latter) are awesome episodes for all that HRG/Sylar interaction. Noah and Angela a.k.a. Mama Petrelli really do a number on Sylar towards the beginning of the season.

And of course, The Second Coming set off his infatuation/obsession with Claire to a whole new level (and it was definitely set up back in Fallout and Distractions where he used it to get under Noah's skin and was being super creepy with it when he was in the Bennet house). If you haven't seen the whole season yet, you'll see more of that (especially the finale). Sylar can't kill Claire and Claire can't kill Sylar. And in Angels And Demons, you see Sylar actually choosing to save Claire while Noah finally has the opportunity to get rid of Sylar, and tries it even though Sylar just saved Claire's life.

The next team-up coming in the season is another one I find quite awesome (Danko). Into Asylum's oldies montages make my heart go pitter-pat (Sylar on the rainy rooftop to Runaway and Sylar/Danko in the car to We Gotta Get Out Of This Place). And that's without mentioning the shape-shifter stalking! That Del Shannon/Runaway scene in particular is just made of pure awesome with the creepy scene in Danko's car and then the cut to "I'm a-walkin' in the rain..." Perfect.

I Am Sylar is hands down the best episode of the season, though (an amazing back-and-forth segment of Sylar shape-shifting between himself and his mother and talking to himself!). I Am Sylar is probably tied with The Hard Part as the two greatest episodes in the series.

And of course, you'll find out that Noah and Elle are greatly responsible for the monster that Sylar became (Gabriel tried to hang himself after his first victim and Noah had Elle save him so they could test him and even fed him his second victim so they could see him kill). That's in Villains. Sylar definitely has it out for Noah (and is also using Claire as a wedge against him as seen in that last scene in Angels And Demons).

And of course, Angela does her fair share of shameless using this season. Well, she ultimately does end up making Sylar into her son after all.

You also get to look forward to the sexiest scene in the series at the beginning of The Eclipse, pt. 2 (Sylar/Elle).

And hey... I'm working on the rest of TOS, don't worry! Nimoy and Kelley rock my socks, too.

Fanviddy goodness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4zzxkzcG4Y (this video cements the fact that ZQ's Chekov impersonation makes me think of Bartok)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ9jVKmyx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYeAwrKqWAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD6k02VU21U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS4jZoCQkuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWz5flRVMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0GOXtMWxU0 (LMAO--this is just... hilarious.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbK__T8QZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdpa5Ad65Pg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHCOYazXsKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVikZk76dF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehbUcRw8rE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWQMrmwXGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9_rPLHhx2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuS5zdlIq0 (the chronological killing reel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlINMrP5rOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQOLy5dAfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWVFnAYVdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfABzeBTPM (aforementioned Syelle sexy scenes)

Last edited by NileQT87; July 8 2009 at 04:57 PM.
NileQT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 05:35 PM   #102
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

I'm wondering- since Zach named his dog Noah, did he get the name from working on Heroes?
Old July 8 2009, 09:16 PM   #103
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone

ooh, Jack Coleman's aged nicely - I remember him as Steven Carrington in Dynasty!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 11:26 PM   #104
dref22
Ensign

trampledamage wrote: View Post
ooh, Jack Coleman's aged nicely - I remember him as Steven Carrington in Dynasty!
VERY nicely.

Here, take some Syloah goodness:

dref22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 11:41 PM   #105
The Elephant's Graveyard
Clone

Looks like Heroes is going to have to be put on my "stuff to watch when both kids are at school" list! (Bear in mind, young master trampledamage is only two and a half, so it'll be a while yet... )

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
The Elephant's Graveyard is offline   Reply With Quote