Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2009, 09:57 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Firefly worth it?

Liked it. Watched it twice on DVD before the movie premiered. Since the movie I haven't had an urge to re-visit the series.
Old July 7 2009, 10:03 PM   #77
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

And refuses to consider that it ever could. At least there are instances in Trek where the Federation makes mistakes.
I'm not gonna tell you that you're not entitled to your opinion, but this argument is just batty.

Comparing what a franchise with 725 episodes and 11 films is able to cover to a series with 14 episodes and one film is just weird. Firefly had to devote some time to set up the universe and perspective before turning it on its head. That said, there were plenty of hints that the Alliance provided some good, and some clear cases of our big damn heroes crossing lines.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 10:06 PM   #78
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well worth it. I haven't watched my DVDs in a couple of years but it's very well done series and with the possible exception of the penultimate episode -Heart of Gold- it's damn near perfect as every episode is great, great stuff.
Old July 7 2009, 10:07 PM   #79
Chrisisall
Commodore

IndyJones wrote: View Post
our big damn heroes
Ooooh, a real fan...you must know what a catalyzer is... and a grav boot...
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 10:18 PM   #80
Candlelight
Admiral

It's a point of view thing. Mal and the others weren't the good heroes we expect them to be. It's the whole glorification of the drifter/tough guy/Han Solo-esque characters that pop up from time to time. The Alliance weren't necessarily good or bad, but they were the WINNERS of the war, which polarises the characters and sets them off as they do.

Unfortunately Whedon (like the Trek Movies) does like to portray authority figures as slightly less intelligent or informed as the main characters (for example the Reaver situation in Bushwhacked).
Old July 7 2009, 10:48 PM   #81
Chrisisall
Commodore

Candlelight wrote: View Post

Unfortunately Whedon (like the Trek Movies) does like to portray authority figures as slightly less intelligent or informed
Well...uh..YEAH. Just look at Presidents of the U.S. past & present.
Old July 7 2009, 11:48 PM   #82
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
What made Firefly compelling was that things weren't black-and-white----there were plenty of shades of grey to go around.
And that's why I couldn't enjoy it, because I generally don't believe in shades of grey.
Life is full of little else, unfortunately. Things are only black and white in movies and comic books. I suspect that when you're older and wiser you'll cringe at saying things like this, whether on the internet or in conversations.
I think not. Besides, I may be older than you think anyway.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 12:18 AM   #83
Chrisisall
Commodore

I may be older than you think anyway.
I'm willing to bet that you're not that old- prolly younger than Spock's dad in Journey To Babel.
Old July 8 2009, 01:06 AM   #84
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I just about crapped my pants when I saw how many responses there were after only one night! I guess I should have known! Thanks for the input.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 01:10 AM   #85
Chrisisall
Commodore

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I just about crapped my pants when I saw how many responses there were after only one night!
Browncoats are a lively bunch. And STARFLEET BROWNCOATS- well, better check phasers at the door is all.
Old July 8 2009, 03:16 AM   #86
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Despite the fact that $30 is a tad bit expensive for the set, I say go for it and spend the money if you have it; if you don't have that kind of cash but still want to check out the series, I'd look and see if you can't find it for rent somewhere; it would be cheaper, and, if you don't end up enjoying it, you're not out a whole lot of money.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 03:46 AM   #87
Harvey
Admiral

It's not worth $30.00 for the simple reason that it's commonly available for $19.99 or less. Buy it for that price.

With that in mind, it's a pretty good series for lasting less than a full season. There's a couple of relative duds--"Safe" and "Heart of Gold"--but that's par for the course for any television program and they are by no means unwatchable.

For a series that puts forward the idea that in the future the United States and China have merged into one power it's a little Amerocentric, but that's unsurprising for a series produced for American television.

The film "Serenity" is also worth seeing, though I'm of the opinion that it is nowhere near as good as the series, and it is by no means needed to properly enjoy the series.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 07:21 AM   #88
RoJoHen
Awesome

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I just about crapped my pants when I saw how many responses there were after only one night! I guess I should have known! Thanks for the input.
We lurk in shadows until we are summoned. You never know who among you might be a Firefly fan.
Old July 8 2009, 07:36 AM   #89
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Candlelight wrote: View Post
If you like westerns then yes. If not, it can be hard going in the first few episodes but in the long run it's a very good series.

Despite what everyone says, the series works best as a short-lived show, with the movie as a nice bookend finale. I can see Whedon burning the series out like Buffy had it gone to multiple seasons.
I dunno, I'm no fan of westerns, but I thought Firefly was quite good. One of the better non-Star Trek sci-fi shows out there actually. Not as good as Babylon 5, but I'd put it in the top ten.

I do agree with you that it works best as a short lived show. I've never seen Buffy, but I have seen shows burn themselves out toward the middle of their long runs, so your point is well taken.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 07:49 AM   #90
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Lindley wrote: View Post
What made Firefly compelling was that things weren't black-and-white----there were plenty of shades of grey to go around.
And that's why I couldn't enjoy it, because I generally don't believe in shades of grey.
Really? Then how do you relate to real life? That's one big "shade of gray".
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote