RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,466
Posts: 5,508,874
Members: 25,133
Currently online: 555
Newest member: laibcoms

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 7 2009, 08:16 PM   #181
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Sci, give it a break, if he wants to say his piece over the prices of Trades than let him for god's sack. Just do what I tend to do when I see a long and possibly long winded or just damn irritating post and either ignore it or skim it, it ain't that hard.

Oh and just for the record, I like Trades, as prices for Mass Market's are rising again (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Invincible was £7.99 compared with Full Circle's £6.99) I wouldn't be surprised if Mass's are dropped and replaced with Trades as some are now the same price as Mass Markets.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 08:21 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Sci, give it a break, if he wants to say his piece over the prices of Trades than let him for god's sack. Just do what I tend to do when I see a long and possibly long winded or just damn irritating post and either ignore it or skim it, it ain't that hard.


I'll never understand how someone can let a message board irritate them! Jesus! It's just a fun way to pass the time.

Some act like it's life or death. Or their personal honor is at stake.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 08:24 PM   #183
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
Wow. I never knew speaking your mind on a message board equated to whining.
I'm not sure what else to call it when you spend that much time complaining about the price of a book you in no way need, especially when there are used book markets online that will re-sell the book at a reduced price, and when there are libraries who will lend the book to you for free.

And I'm especially not sure what else to call it when someone takes one statement -- "People are willing to pay more for TPBs" -- and uses it to put words in someone's mouth ("So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?")

For the TPB's, the value versus costs just doesn't match up anymore for me. For me a 110,000 (roughly) word novel just isn't worth $16.00. If it was a six-hundred page, two hundred thousand word epic my feelings would probably be different.
And that's why you're not part of the demand curve that Pocket is serving with those novels.

Similarly, I have no interest in the recent novel Troublesome Minds. I'm not saying it looks bad, and DaveGalanter seems like a standup guy, but it's just in no way interesting to me. I am not part of that particular novel's demand curve. I don't spend my time whining about the fact that they didn't write a novel that I wasn't interested in, because I recognize that different products are aimed at different parts of the Trek audience, and I'm not going to be the target audience for all of them.

You're not part of the target audience for TPBs by virtue of the fact that you don't think they're worth the price. That's fine. But I would advise that you stop acting like Pocket Books ought to make its business decisions to accommodate you.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 08:26 PM   #184
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Sci, give it a break, if he wants to say his piece over the prices of Trades than let him for god's sack. Just do what I tend to do when I see a long and possibly long winded or just damn irritating post and either ignore it or skim it, it ain't that hard.


I'll never understand how someone can let a message board irritate them! Jesus! It's just a fun way to pass the time.

Some act like it's life or death. Or their personal honor is at stake.
Not many things irritate me really, just if I know there's a topic I feel passionate about, nine times out of ten, I'll just leave it as it's not worth the energy.

I was going to edit this in to my last post. I just picked up and decided to have a look at a book I'm reading at the moment which is Trade size, and its priced at £7.99, the same price as Invincible
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 08:38 PM   #185
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Sci wrote: View Post
But I would advise that you stop acting like Pocket Books ought to make its business decisions to accommodate you.
What other point-of-view am I concerned with. The entire debate is working from my point of view...

I know I love paying almost twice as much for what is essentially the same content. Decisions like these are why I went from buying practically everything Pocket publishes with 'Star Trek' on the cover to buying only certain books.
To me the decision turned away this customer.

"Gosh, there are only twelve publishing slots! If I want to publish this thirteenth book I'll have to charge the public twice as much.", I call bullshit on this logic.
Someone tried to say that we were somehow better off because we were getting extra books. Which I say is faulty logic.

This all makes sense. But what changes when you're dealing with a very niche product like Star Trek? How many readers can Pocket afford to bleed by making this move before things become unprofitable?

My wife asked me if I wanted New Frontier: Treason last night while we were at the bookstore. My simple answer was, "not at that price" and picked up "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter.
This seemed to be the post that riled Thrawn all up. I questioned someone who has worked in retail about how the decision would affect Pocket's sales.

At least that way I could gauge whether the content was worth the price. Buy one book and if I didn't like it I wasn't on the hook for the price of the other one or two.
This was a post about which strategy was better (multiple MMPB's vs. TPB's).

You're talking apples and oranges and you know it. A fifty cent across the board increase is expected from time to time. Charging $8.99 for one ninety thousand word novel and then charging $16.00 for another ninety thousand word novel is ridiculous.
This was about a proposed fifty cent hike in all MMPB's.

Sorry. In each instance I worked from the point of view of how it affects my buying patterns. Which is the only buying patterns I care about. I can't imagine trying to speak for any one else.

So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?
Obviously just being funny here...

"Lighten up, Francis."
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 08:41 PM   #186
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Sci, give it a break, if he wants to say his piece over the prices of Trades than let him for god's sack. Just do what I tend to do when I see a long and possibly long winded or just damn irritating post and either ignore it or skim it, it ain't that hard.


I'll never understand how someone can let a message board irritate them! Jesus! It's just a fun way to pass the time.

Some act like it's life or death. Or their personal honor is at stake.
Not many things irritate me really, just if I know there's a topic I feel passionate about, nine times out of ten, I'll just leave it as it's not worth the energy.

I was going to edit this in to my last post. I just picked up and decided to have a look at a book I'm reading at the moment which is Trade size, and its priced at £7.99, the same price as Invincible
Here in the States it is a bit different at the bookstores. MMPB's run between $6.99 - $8.99 and Trades run between $16.00 - $18.00.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"

Last edited by BillJ; July 7 2009 at 08:57 PM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 10:23 PM   #187
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Someone asked who is the Artist for The Never Ending Sacrifice cover.I checked at Memory Beta and says it's Nicolas Bouvier.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 11:36 PM   #188
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
But I would advise that you stop acting like Pocket Books ought to make its business decisions to accommodate you.
What other point-of-view am I concerned with. The entire debate is working from my point of view...
No, it's not, it's working from Pocket's point of view. No one is arguing with your right to refuse to buy the book, but to act as though you don't understand why they're making the business decisions they are making simply because it does not serve your whims is irrational.

I know I love paying almost twice as much for what is essentially the same content. Decisions like these are why I went from buying practically everything Pocket publishes with 'Star Trek' on the cover to buying only certain books.
To me the decision turned away this customer.
Sure. There are going to be costs and benefits to doing business, and a given decision might alienate some customers whilst attracting others. But obviously this business decision is proving profitable; logically, therefore, there is no rational reason to question why Pocket is doing it. You might not like it and choose not to purchase it, but to question the business rationale behind it seems, at best, irrational. And to demand that they make business decisions that serve your financial whims is just irritatingly selfish.

This all makes sense. But what changes when you're dealing with a very niche product like Star Trek? How many readers can Pocket afford to bleed by making this move before things become unprofitable?

My wife asked me if I wanted New Frontier: Treason last night while we were at the bookstore. My simple answer was, "not at that price" and picked up "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter.
This seemed to be the post that riled Thrawn all up.
My name is Sci, thanks.

So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?
Obviously just being funny here...
It did not come across as being funny -- it came across as being needlessly rude, misrepresentative of other people's words, and more than a little confrontational and whiny.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 11:45 PM   #189
AuntKate
Commodore
 
AuntKate's Avatar
 
Location: USA--smack dab in the middle
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

I really don't care what the covers look like. However, I did read the synopses of the books, and I can't help but ask how writing with such glaring errors in grammar and punctuation can go uncorrected. Who edits these? Or fails to?
AuntKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 12:54 AM   #190
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Sci wrote: View Post


My name is Sci, thanks.
Once again it was Thrawn who I was originally debating with. Reading comprehension is your friend.

So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?
Obviously just being funny here...
It did not come across as being funny -- it came across as being needlessly rude, misrepresentative of other people's words, and more than a little confrontational and whiny.
I apologize to anyone who thought the remark was not funny.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 01:01 AM   #191
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
2) You continue to ignore the question of what makes a TPB worth the excessive price. Whether a movie is ninety minutes or two and a half hours I'm paying the same $9.75 to get in. MMPB are between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for X price. TPB are slightly larger in size, between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for nearly twice the price.

3) It is bad when a corporation exploits its customers. This is exactly the same thing as when Paramount was charging $140 a season for Star Trek.

4) You're right. I don't have to buy it. But Pocket should be worried when they chase someone like me away with excessive pricing (good income, like to buy whatever has the label on it).
I've eliminated all the snarky bullshit from your post, assuming that you're generally an intelligent person and were just annoyed. If you really want to call me names and insult my intelligence, please do so over PM.

2) The question of whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to you. I would never argue otherwise. You just gave completely spurious reasons. I never told you to buy it, just that word count was a dumb way to justify not buying it. Do whatever you please.

3) And when Paramount charged that much, I didn't buy them. And the prices eventually dropped. That's how the market works.

4) Pocket should be worried about "chasing away" one customer? You are far too convinced of your own importance.


Pocket prices things however they feel it'll make them the most money. So does everyone else. If a company succeeds in "gouging" customers, it's because the customers are willing to be gouged. If you find the crusade against TPBs to be a righteous one, just don't fucking buy them.

Anyone with any decision making power in any institution like this one has long since learned to ignore people whining online.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 01:17 AM   #192
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know I love paying almost twice as much for what is essentially the same content. Decisions like these are why I went from buying practically everything Pocket publishes with 'Star Trek' on the cover to buying only certain books.
BillJ wrote: View Post
This all makes sense. But what changes when you're dealing with a very niche product like Star Trek? How many readers can Pocket afford to bleed by making this move before things become unprofitable?
BillJ wrote: View Post
"Gosh, there are only twelve publishing slots! If I want to publish this thirteenth book I'll have to charge the public twice as much.", I call bullshit on this logic.
BillJ wrote: View Post
Hopefully Pocket knows what they are doing with the print line.
And, BillJ, since you seem to be confused about how we could've possibly objected to your humble post about buying Time Ships instead, I point you to these posts which strongly indicate you believe that Pocket is making a Bad Call by pissing you off, that they may be generally incompetent, and that they have made many similarly insulting decisions recently (such as?), not to mention responding to my previously completely considerate tone with overstated and obviously ridiculous sarcasm.

All before I was "riled all up".
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 04:13 AM   #193
LightningStorm
The Borg King
 
LightningStorm's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
1) If you actually read all the posts, you would have seen that Allyn Gibson and I had already discussed this point. Reading comprehension is your friend.

2) You continue to ignore the question of what makes a TPB worth the excessive price. Whether a movie is ninety minutes or two and a half hours I'm paying the same $9.75 to get in. MMPB are between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for X price. TPB are slightly larger in size, between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for nearly twice the price.

3) It is bad when a corporation exploits its customers. This is exactly the same thing as when Paramount was charging $140 a season for Star Trek. Just because you like to grab your ankles when Dave Matthews comes to town doesn't mean everyone does.

4) You're right. I don't have to buy it. But Pocket should be worried when they chase someone like me away with excessive pricing (good income, like to buy whatever has the label on it).

Plus you're the one who came into the discussion with the attitude of an insufferable ass. Might want to tone it down in the future.
Calling someone an "insufferable ass" is flaming. This combined with "Reading comprehension is your friend." and "Just because you like to grab your ankles when Dave Matthews comes to town doesn't mean everyone does." earns you a warning.

Comments via PM.
__________________
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. (Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68))
LightningStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 04:54 AM   #194
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Thrawn wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I know I love paying almost twice as much for what is essentially the same content. Decisions like these are why I went from buying practically everything Pocket publishes with 'Star Trek' on the cover to buying only certain books.
BillJ wrote: View Post
This all makes sense. But what changes when you're dealing with a very niche product like Star Trek? How many readers can Pocket afford to bleed by making this move before things become unprofitable?
BillJ wrote: View Post
"Gosh, there are only twelve publishing slots! If I want to publish this thirteenth book I'll have to charge the public twice as much.", I call bullshit on this logic.
BillJ wrote: View Post
Hopefully Pocket knows what they are doing with the print line.
And, BillJ, since you seem to be confused about how we could've possibly objected to your humble post about buying Time Ships instead, I point you to these posts which strongly indicate you believe that Pocket is making a Bad Call by pissing you off, that they may be generally incompetent, and that they have made many similarly insulting decisions recently (such as?), not to mention responding to my previously completely considerate tone with overstated and obviously ridiculous sarcasm.

All before I was "riled all up".
Care to explain how any of the above quotes offended you? Especially since two of the replies were pointed at Allyn Gibson. And since I'm just one customer obviously the above quotes shouldn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure the American auto-makers thought the same way you do. We'll increase prices and make a lesser product... who cares if it pisses off a few customers. We've all seen how that worked out.
__________________
"...the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is I do not know." - Lt. Commander Data, "Where Silence Has Lease"
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 07:43 AM   #195
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
Care to explain how any of the above quotes offended you? Especially since two of the replies were pointed at Allyn Gibson. And since I'm just one customer obviously the above quotes shouldn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure the American auto-makers thought the same way you do. We'll increase prices and make a lesser product... who cares if it pisses off a few customers. We've all seen how that worked out.
You didn't offend me. It's an argument on a messageboard. I just disagreed with you.

As for your other argument, I think I'll just leave it at and bid you adieu. I'm finished here; this is inane.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
book covers, ent, fall lineup

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.