Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2009, 06:15 PM   #46
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Firefly worth it?

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And that's why I couldn't enjoy it, because I generally don't believe in shades of grey.
{Lawrence Fishburn voice}
Welcome to the real world.
{/Lawrence Fishburn voice}
Never cared much for Matrix either - for the same reasons.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:18 PM   #47
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
The Federation is a different type of government.
Ah-ha! So much for "The Alliance isn't evil", eh?
You know, that Poli-Sci minor probably would've gone a lot more quickly if the only two types of government were "evil" and "not-evil." For instance, consolidated municipalities are clearly evil.
Old July 7 2009, 06:19 PM   #48
Chrisisall
Commodore

How different would it seem then? Think about it.
I HAVE! I've had endless discussions as well about whether Mal & Co were just desperados vs. actual heroes. And that's why I love Firefly/Serenity! Who's right? And from whom's perspective? That' why I love Trek as well (A Private Little War, anyone?).

It'd be like walking into Fenway Park wearing one of these.
That's funny.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:20 PM   #49
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

David cgc wrote: View Post
You know, that Poli-Sci minor probably would've gone a lot more quickly if the only two types of government were "evil" and "not-evil."
If? No 'if.'
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old July 7 2009, 06:21 PM   #50
Chrisisall
Commodore

David cgc wrote: View Post

You know, that Poli-Sci minor probably would've gone a lot more quickly if the only two types of government were "evil" and "not-evil."
:g uffaw:
Old July 7 2009, 06:21 PM   #51
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

I like it. It is fun.

And the Serenity movie is what made me buy the Firefly DVD set.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:23 PM   #52
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

The fact is, FF is nowhere near as brilliant a show as its most ardent supporters claim. It has a scattershot approach, trying to be too many things at once (sci-fi/western/comedy/action/adventure/commentary/whateverelseyoucanthinkof). And without question, it's rough around the edges.

That being said, the strength of the show is the camaraderie of the characters and the humor. Even when the characters are at odds with one another, it's rarely played for cheap melodrama. And the humor can be absolutely hilarious -- but here, too, you have to be open to some of the darker humor from Whedon. There were times when I laughed out loud and, others, when I though Whedon was simply being a juvenile prick.

But given that the series only has fourteen episodes (and one movie), it's not a major investment of time to rent (or even purchase) the show and watch it. It's definitely one of those shows you just have to jump in and watch and decide for yourself whether or not it suits your taste. Despite its obvious flaws, it definitely has value.
Old July 7 2009, 06:23 PM   #53
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

whether Mal & Co were just desperados vs. actual heroes. And that's why I love Firefly/Serenity! Who's right?
Obviously we are meant to conclude that Mal and company were, because they are the main characters in the series. Depiction is advocacy. And since I refused to comply with this, how can I possibly enjoy the show?
Old July 7 2009, 06:25 PM   #54
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It's on Hulu... check it out before you spend $30.
Old July 7 2009, 06:29 PM   #55
Chrisisall
Commodore

Depiction is advocacy.
So, Bonnie & Clyde were the good guys? And Dillinger? We should all do what the girl in Looking For Mr Goodbar did?
I see your logic is in question, where your political beliefs are concerned.
Old July 7 2009, 06:32 PM   #56
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

whether Mal & Co were just desperados vs. actual heroes. And that's why I love Firefly/Serenity! Who's right?
Obviously we are meant to conclude that Mal and company were, because they are the main characters in the series. Depiction is advocacy.
On one of the commentaries, Joss said something that's stuck with me---"Everyone thinks they're righteous." Even the Operative, a man who knew his actions were evil, felt that he served a greater good.

Given that, it doesn't much matter who you follow in a story---if they're well-written, seeing things from their point of view will make them appear to be the good guy. So it's just a matter of whose story is the most entertaining, really, not "who's right."

Talking strictly about sane characters, of course. There are psychos and sadists and whatnot whom you could never sympathize with.

how can I possibly enjoy the show?
With your mindset I'm not really sure how you enjoy anything.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 06:40 PM   #57
Chrisisall
Commodore

Obviously we are meant to conclude that Mal and company were, because they are the main characters in the series.
If you "rolled thru" a stop sign late at night when no other cars or people were around, would you be doing something wrong? What if you had a headache, is that an excuse? From a cop's POV, should he stop you if he saw you do it? Or let it slide? Is there a time to do something "wrong"? What if you just blew the sign because your wife was in the hospital?
Dude, life is ONE BIG GIANT grey area that we divide in to more comfortable almost-whites & almost-blacks as we each individually see fit.
Old July 7 2009, 06:43 PM   #58
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

If you "rolled thru" a stop sign late at night when no other cars or people were around, would you be doing something wrong?
Yes.

What if you had a headache, is that an excuse?
Take a fucking Advil.

From a cop's POV, should he stop you if he saw you do it?
Yes.

Or let it slide? Is there a time to do something "wrong"?
No and no.

What if you just blew the sign because your wife was in the hospital?
If it's an emergency, she'll be in an ambulance anyway; if not, then there'll be time.

Dude, life is ONE BIG GIANT grey area that we divide in to more comfortable almost-whites & almost-blacks as we each individually see fit.
We? Maybe you do, but being absolutist has worked well for me so far.
Old July 7 2009, 07:04 PM   #59
Chrisisall
Commodore

We?
Yes, Mr. Absolutist, YOU. You make a choice as to what YOU THINK is the proper or improper way to conduct yourself. Choosing to see things in blacks & whites is a SIMPLIFYING technique, one that can work very well... for a time. Who knows, maybe even your whole lifetime.
Ask Ms. Palin, who preaches abstinence & has a daughter that has a baby out of wedlock. Think SHE has to ease up a little on the black & white for the sake of her family, eh?

Mal threatening to SHOOT his crew if they give him any problems on Haven was certainly NOT the thing of heroes, but as a fan of humans & their failings as well as their triumphs in well written stories, I found it ................fascinating.
Old July 7 2009, 07:09 PM   #60
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
What made Firefly compelling was that things weren't black-and-white----there were plenty of shades of grey to go around.
And that's why I couldn't enjoy it, because I generally don't believe in shades of grey.
Life is full of little else, unfortunately. Things are only black and white in movies and comic books. I suspect that when you're older and wiser you'll cringe at saying things like this, whether on the internet or in conversations.