Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 6 2009, 10:56 PM   #151
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
I'm 46 now and I don't have any trouble with smallish size print.
I'm 50 - and at 46 small font didn't worry me. Good luck.
I don't think Pocket is worried about whether you can read the font or not.
Old July 6 2009, 10:57 PM   #152
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Not everyone shops at Amazon! I actually like to inspect my merchandise before purchasing it. Guess that makes me old school. And yes $2.88 is a deal breaker if it is presenting the same amount of material.
So will you boycott any publisher that raises their prices 50 cents?

This seems like an extremely silly attitude to me.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 10:57 PM   #153
AN_D_K
Commander

View AN_D_K's Twitter Profile

If all books were TPB, then wouldn't we need a bigger size for the books we want to stand out more?
AN_D_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 11:01 PM   #154
BillJ
Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Not everyone shops at Amazon! I actually like to inspect my merchandise before purchasing it. Guess that makes me old school. And yes $2.88 is a deal breaker if it is presenting the same amount of material.

You're talking apples and oranges and you know it. A fifty cent across the board increase is expected from time to time. Charging $8.99 for one ninety thousand word novel and then charging $16.00 for another ninety thousand word novel is ridiculous.
Old July 6 2009, 11:01 PM   #155
JWolf
Commodore

AN_D_K wrote: View Post
If all books were TPB, then wouldn't we need a bigger size for the books we want to stand out more?
ACK!
Old July 6 2009, 11:01 PM   #156
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
I'm not saying to stop Star Trek books. but if they go trade where it's not needed, then I do think sales will drop as people who dislike trade will not purchase or not purchase as much. Also given the way eBook prices are at present, trade will increase eBook prices as well. So overall, going trade where trade is not needed is a lose-lose situation overall. I do understand trade when the word count is high enough. But otherwise, forget it.
But it doesn't matter if sales go down a little bit, because they make more money per copy sold. And you only have your guess that the sales will go down too much, with no evidence at all, when a ton of (admittedly circumstantial) evidence shows that trades DO make more money.

So, tough shit. Deal with it.
Old July 6 2009, 11:03 PM   #157
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

You're talking apples and oranges and you know it. A fifty cent across the board increase is expected from time to time. Charging $8.99 for one ninety thousand word novel and then charging $16.00 for another ninety thousand word novel is ridiculous.
This is also silly.

Like, I'll pay $75 for a 2-hour concert if it's Dave Matthews Band, because I like them better. But I may only pay $20 for some other band I don't know as well, because I like them less.

You're not paying for the number of words, you're paying for their content.

You may as well complain that Troublesome Minds and Crucible:McCoy were the same price; the latter was something like 4x as long as the former. Do you refuse to purchase Troublesome Minds?
Old July 6 2009, 11:05 PM   #158
BillJ
Admiral

This is also silly.

Like, I'll pay $75 for a 2-hour concert if it's Dave Matthews Band, because I like them better. But I may only pay $20 for some other band I don't know as well, because I like them less.

You may as well complain that Troublesome Minds and Crucible:McCoy were the same price; the latter was something like 4x as long as the former. Do you refuse to purchase Troublesome Minds?
So explain to me what is so special about Treason that doesn't apply to Open Secrets?
Old July 6 2009, 11:09 PM   #159
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

So explain to me what is so special about Treason that doesn't apply to Open Secrets?
More people buy New Frontier. Or, more accurately, more people consistently buy New Frontier; it has more loyal fans. It is thus a more valuable product to those people. So they charge more. Which is exactly the way every other industry works.

Either way, your position is logically inconsistent. If it's ok with you to pay $8 for a 40,000 word novel, it shouldn't bother you to pay $11 for a 60,000 word novel. You're getting more words per dollar. The fact that you can get other 60,000 word novels for $8 should make you happy, but clearly, your minimum word per dollar rate is 5,000 so you should be willing to buy any book that gives better value than that.

Or you're arguing illogically. Which is your prerogative, I suppose, but what you're annoyed about is not that you get charged more for the same number of words. That's purely nonsense.
Old July 6 2009, 11:18 PM   #160
BillJ
Admiral

More people buy New Frontier. Or, more accurately, more people consistently buy New Frontier; it has more loyal fans. It is thus a more valuable product to those people. So they charge more. Which is exactly the way every other industry works.

Either way, your position is logically inconsistent. If it's ok with you to pay $8 for a 40,000 word novel, it shouldn't bother you to pay $11 for a 60,000 word novel. You're getting more words per dollar. The fact that you can get other 60,000 word novels for $8 should make you happy, but clearly, your minimum word per dollar rate is 5,000 so you should be willing to buy any book that gives better value than that.

Or you're arguing illogically. Which is your prerogative, I suppose, but what you're annoyed about is not that you get charged more for the same number of words. That's purely nonsense.
Let's try this from another angle. What precluded New Frontier: Treason from being published as a MMPB? Other than having Peter David's name on it? Is there any additional content that couldn't be included in a MMPB?

To me this simply comes down to price gouging, and whether other industries do it or not, doesn't make it right.
Old July 6 2009, 11:22 PM   #161
BillJ
Admiral

This is also silly.

So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?
Old July 6 2009, 11:43 PM   #162
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Holy crap.

Is it really that hard to understand charging more for something they expect people to be willing to spend more to buy?
Old July 6 2009, 11:50 PM   #163
BillJ
Admiral

Holy crap.

Is it really that hard to understand charging more for something they expect people to be willing to spend more to buy?
So you agree they are gouging the suckers?
Old July 6 2009, 11:52 PM   #164
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Holy crap.

You really love hyperbole.

I love New Frontier. I'm willing to spend $11 for a New Frontier book; hell, I was willing to spend $20 back when they came out in hardcover. Thus, I do. The content is worth the price, so I pay it. I am thus a satisfied customer.

Am I a sucker? Am I being gouged?
Old July 6 2009, 11:55 PM   #165
BillJ
Admiral

Holy crap.

You really love hyperbole.

I love New Frontier. I'm willing to spend $11 for a New Frontier book; hell, I was willing to spend $20 back when they came out in hardcover. Thus, I do. The content is worth the price, so I pay it. I am thus a satisfied customer.

Am I a sucker? Am I being gouged?
At least with a hardcover I can see a reason for a premium to be charged and the consumer can still purcahse the material at a later date for a cheaper price if they choose not to purchase the hardcover. I see none of this with the trade paperbacks.