Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 24 2009, 07:47 AM   #166
Tim
Vice Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

^^
Went 1-3 today (.400 overall). Unfortunately, our offense doesn't have enough pop--even though our defense is good. I don't like managing an 0-4 team.
Old June 25 2009, 08:15 AM   #167
RoJoHen
Awesome

Softball sounds like fun! I wanna play! Hell, I'd like to do anything with other people. All of my friends seem to have vanished off the face of the planet these last few weeks. The plus side of that is that I've been able to workout more focus on my diet, rather than go out and drink.
Old June 25 2009, 08:40 AM   #168
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Softball is fun! I wish I had a team near me.

I'm just waiting for the weather here to get cool enough for me to run ... or for me to start waking up early enough to get out running before it's hot. (I'm not sure which of those may occur before October or so.)
Old June 27 2009, 12:36 AM   #169
Tim
Vice Admiral

Well, we finally managed a win! Our defense has been tight the last few games, but there just wasn't enough run support. Today our people were making good contact, and I contributed by going 2-2 (.500 AVG) and finally coming around to cross home plate. I bought some used cleats earlier in the week, and those definitely helped my base running. With regular sneakers, I was doing too much of the slip-and-slide, even on dry grass.

Now I just need to stop feeling like Terry Francona.
Old June 27 2009, 03:45 AM   #170
RAMA
Vice Admiral

New gym!!

Old June 27 2009, 06:30 AM   #171
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love how devoid of people it is. I hate working out when there are lots of people around.
Old June 27 2009, 06:39 AM   #172
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I love how devoid of people it is. I hate working out when there are lots of people around.
Well it was Friday at 9:30ish PM in a tourist town.

RAMA
Old July 3 2009, 07:11 PM   #173
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Allright, I'm checkin' in! Although unlike RAMA, I will not be appearing in the next Conan film.

I've been under Doctor's orders to get with it since last winter. Blood pressure has crept into pre-hypertension, and this is it. Get it down naturally, or pop pills the rest of my life. I'm 34, and have a very scary genetic tree in this regard.
I began with eating better, eliminating disgusting evil diet soda and all sodas in general (except as a treat here and there - not in the fridge).
I have not yet got into an exercise regimen, and the blood pressure reflects that. But last weekend, I worked a festival for the first time, putting in up to 20-hour days, and going up and down a formidable (for me) hill many times a day. In a few days, I got more of my wind back than I would have expected.
I have lost 20# - I am 6' even and 240# down from 260#. Still a fat bastard for sure.
But now that I've got my wind, and some motivation and energy, it's time to do this thing!

I believe strongly that a key component is mental health/spirituality. Just a short meditation twice a day, and my energy is much, much better. It's amazing really.
I will either join a standard gym, or go back to the Dojo I used to study in. The Dojo is of course much more expensive, and the class times are ridgid as opposed to gym hours. I can only afford to do one or the other.

I'll post when I've decided which way to go - either way, signing up tomorrow. Procrastination is BS. I know I can workout on my own, in theory, but it's just not happening. Having that separate location worked for me previously.

(And yes, cutting out, ahem, smoking, is a component also. Compulsive, excessive smoking, has just been stupid, and its just not cool anymore to be that far out all the time. For anyone else with smoking and/or tobacco problems, I also highly recommend looking into the Magic Flight vaporizer. There's no reason to breathe in all the horrible crap that results from combustion.)
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 07:59 AM   #174
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

I lost this this month. 10 pounds. It's a bit too much but I was zealous in the first couple of weeks. (The picture isn't me). Each pic is 5 pounds, 17,500 calories, and I lost two of them!

Switched to nonfat lattes at Starbucks, that's probably my biggest vice. And they taste just as good, it's not like the nonfat crap of old. But also cut the 10pm binges after work, making sure I have time to eat dinner. I haven't been much at the gym this month but I do walk at least 25 minutes daily.

Last year I did daily gym workouts but didn't target those lattes or quit BK, and the weight hovered. It was really frustrating! I came to find out the BK meal was the entire daily allotment of cals, and I was pouring lattes onto it. Just mindless habit.

Wish me luck I hope I can keep it up! I've still got some months to go!
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 08:28 AM   #175
RoJoHen
Awesome

What the frick am I looking at in that picture? Is it a tumor? An omelette? I am so confused.

Anyway...I finally have a workout buddy! He doesn't know anything about exercise, but he's come to the gym with me twice and is excited to continue. I made him do legs on his first night!
Old July 6 2009, 04:45 PM   #176
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
What the frick am I looking at in that picture? Is it a tumor? An omelette? I am so confused.

Anyway...I finally have a workout buddy! He doesn't know anything about exercise, but he's come to the gym with me twice and is excited to continue. I made him do legs on his first night!
That is a model of human fat:

http://www.mypetfat.com/thetools.asp

Fortunately you don't lose weight all in a clump like that, but from all over the body!
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 05:17 AM   #177
Tim
Vice Admiral

Triskelion wrote: View Post
That is a model of human fat:

http://www.mypetfat.com/thetools.asp
Human fat--fresh or fixed--doesn't look quite like that. It's more gooey. And yes, I do know.

More softball today. I went 3-3 (.600 AVG overall) but didn't advance past second base. I think I'll need to rearrange the order for our next game to stack our offense a bit better.
Old July 7 2009, 07:35 PM   #178
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Back from my July 4 vacation ... gained 1.5 pounds after 5 days of dining out and drinking WAY too much (less than I'd expected, though). Time to get back to running and eating sensibly. Sigh.
Old July 9 2009, 04:53 AM   #179
Tim
Vice Admiral

Ugly, ugly softball game today. Myriad problems, to which I contributed: 1-3 without getting past first base. Overall, I'm 10-18 (.556), which is over a hundred points better than last year, so I'm not totally demoralized.
Old July 9 2009, 06:50 AM   #180
Michael Chris
Admiral

I gained about 25 lbs in the last year or so. From 160 to 185 or so. Mainly due to stress around the holidays. I decided to lose it, so I started eating better and being a bit more active a couple of weeks ago. It's paying off so far, down to 180. I'm also setting up an exercise regimen that should stay in effect a month and a half before I have to modify it for classes.