Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 3 2009, 08:16 AM   #16
happydave
Lieutenant Commander

Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Ah a welcome thread has inspired me to create an account so I can actually post.

Hello everyone

I've have been lurking on the DS9 boards for a few weeks now after looking around the web for somewhere I can actually read about the Trek series' and I eventually ended up here.

After viewing all Trek episodes & movies in the last 15 months I must say that I feel DS9 is by far the strongest series in that it feels the most real. I always got the impression that TNG was a bunch of people that 'worked together' rather than true friendships and it irritated me that most of the episodes were one off and that all the characters seemed fairly stagnant (not a great deal of real devestating changes) throughout the series.

I enjoy VOY for what it is, as a lot of the time it comes across as 'fun' Star Trek, nothing too serious, lots of action & a bit like old pulp scifi stories.

I really enjoyed Trentman's thread about the series as watching someone new to the series.

So hello all =).
happydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Disillusioned
Commander

Re: Hello fellow Niners

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
Disillusioned wrote: View Post
Nope, wouldn't mind at all.
Done.
*jumps up and down while clapping and giggling happily*

And hello to happydave while I'm in here.
Disillusioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 11:48 PM   #18
PTRACER
Lieutenant

Re: Hello fellow Niners

I'm pretty new here as well...

DS9 is by far my favourite. I enjoy TNG and Voyager but I've gone off them in recent years, partly because I finally got round to watching all 7 seasons of DS9 in order and it just seems so much stronger than TNG and Voyager in every way.
PTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 08:55 AM   #19
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

DS9 for me is ageless. I love TOS and TNG as well, but DS9 still draws me back each time, and I wasn't even a fan of the show initially. It took several years after syndication for me to pay attention, and once I did, I was in.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 02:30 AM   #20
mattyhugh
Lieutenant Commander

I guess I should finally introduce myself here. I've been posting for a while and been lurking for even longer. I'm really glad I found this place to chat DS9 and Trek in general. Count me in Niner ranks. It's by far my favorite series. I enjoy TOS and TNG, but Deep Space Nine is number one. First series that I have actually owned all the series off.
mattyhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2009, 08:09 PM   #21
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Welcome to all the new Niners here. And to anyone who is trying DS9 for the first or second time, I envy you. I remember doing that a few years ago (When the DVDs were coming out) and it was a remarkable experience.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 05:58 PM   #22
Odo You Didn't!
Lieutenant

Another newbie here. Hello all. DS9 (and Voyager, in fact) are enjoying a resurgence in my life at the moment. My brother and I used to sit down together three nights a week to watch it. (It used to run on BBC2, where TNG was shown on a Wednesday night, DS9 on a Thursday and Voyager on a Sunday.) I miss the days of having a series that you follow weekly and look forward to - it's been somewhat ruined by the digital revolution.

The comments that have been made about DS9's relevance as time has gone on couldn't be more accurate. I always did like it because it was the darkest Star Trek. The themes are probably more relevant today than ever. Perhaps that's why I find myself drawn to it again.
Old July 6 2009, 11:09 AM   #23
Unimatrix 01
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to Unimatrix 01

It's good to be here. I actually finished DS9 a while ago and am on Voy but after I finish S7, I plan to rewatch DS9 all over again... Maybe it'll be like I never left... you think?
Unimatrix 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 10:44 PM   #24
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Maybe. Rewatching DS9 never feels like watching a show that's been off the air for a decade. It feels like the show ended two or three years ago. The production values and plotlines, especially in later years, feel so current.

Odo You Didn't! wrote: View Post
Another newbie here. Hello all.
I like your screen name
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 03:20 PM   #25
Odo You Didn't!
Lieutenant

^^ Thanks AdmiralGarak. I was lurking in the Voyager forum before I headed over to join ye Niners, so it was almost We'll Always Have Paris. Odo won out in the end though

I'm watching my way through S5 atm, but will have to stop at the end as I don't have S6. I think I'd forgotten how addictive it is. Damn Amazon for putting the DVD prices back up.
Old July 17 2009, 02:40 AM   #26
Crimea River
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Crimea River Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimea River Send a message via Yahoo to Crimea River

Your username is awesome. XD

I'm currently watching through Deep Space Nine. When I was young (as you may have read in my intro on the other board) I saw a few DS9 episodes. Now that I've begun watching, I've realised this is my favourite of all of the Star Trek shows, perhaps even my favourite show ever (along with Stargate SG-1). I cannot get enough of it. I love the cast. I love the concepts. I love the stories in the episodes themselves. I love the space station itself.
Crimea River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 08:17 AM   #27
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

I'm another lurker who finally decided to heck with lurking! Posting is what it's all about. I loved DS9 when it came out. To me it was completely superior to what had come before and remains so to what came after. However, due to a job I had during the original run, I never got to watch the series past season 4 and never managed to catch it in syndication. I don't have cable or satellite, but that's a different story.

So, I am now going through the series via Netflix. I just finished Season 1 and am starting Season 2. What is absolutely flooring me is how the series doesn't seem dated at all. If anything, it feels more relevant now than it did then, much like another series I dearly, dearly love, Babylon 5.

Even in the first season, there were a couple of breakout episodes. "Duet" comes instantly to mind with a performance from an actor I have long felt is under-appreciated in character roles, Harris Yulin. (Loved him in Buffy.) The energy and emotion between him and Nana Visitor are electrifying. I'm looking forward to Season 2 and rediscovering this show I never felt I got enough of.

Plus, Cardassians. CardassiansCardassiansCardassians. Did I say Cardassians?
PSGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 12:46 PM   #28
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

^ You did indeed!

Welcome to the DS9 forum PSGarak and may I say that it's good to see both a fellow Cardassian fan and a Niner who was introduced to the series via the excellence of Duet.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 09:13 PM   #29
Crimea River
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Crimea River Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimea River Send a message via Yahoo to Crimea River

Welcome, PSGarak! *gives you a Garak plushie* I'm on Season 2, also! Want to watch along with me? ^_^ I'm a Cardassian fanatic as well. BTW, Thor_Damar, I added you on YIM. ^^ If you have any messenger names, PSGarak, would love to chat (and RP with you) if you like; lol, same goes for everyone here. ^_^

Will be gone Thursday-Saturday.
Crimea River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2009, 10:56 PM   #30
PSGarak
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the welcomes, Thor Damar and Crimea River! There can never be too many Cardassian fans or DS9ers in my book. The more the merrier, and the plottier, and the craftier...ahem.

I don't currently have any chat accounts. I weaned myself off of them a while back because I found I actually get way more work done if I maintain computer discipline. Imagine that! At any rate, if I ever get tempted to wade back into the world of online RP, I'll be sure to give you a shout, Crimea River. In the mean time, I'll let you know when the first season 2 disc arrives, and we can discuss eps if you'd like. It'll be a little while. I have a few movies in between the seasons.
PSGarak is offline   Reply With Quote