TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 3 2009, 05:07 AM   #2041
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Just catching up but I still enjoy reading the reviews. I guess the only thing I have to contribute right now is I find The Fight to be Voyager's Masks. For me, I loved both episodes because of the eerie sense and just the atmosphere and not really knowing what is going on. Many others, however, consider these two episodes for their respective series' to be the worst episodes ever made for television. I guess I'm just one of those people.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 05:40 AM   #2042
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Just catching up but I still enjoy reading the reviews. I guess the only thing I have to contribute right now is I find The Fight to be Voyager's Masks. For me, I loved both episodes because of the eerie sense and just the atmosphere and not really knowing what is going on. Many others, however, consider these two episodes for their respective series' to be the worst episodes ever made for television. I guess I'm just one of those people.

Yay, another one!

I admit that I had to watch "The Fight" twice before I really got the full picture what was going on, because the timeline, how the story goes on, is not linear. The dissimilarity of it makes me like it, not to mention that for me "anomaly of the week" kind of stories are the best ones.

Juggernaut is one of my favs as well. And this episode is also "a grower" for me (meaning that first I didn't like it very much, but with time it has become one of my favs). So therefore, in GodBen's scale (there are lots of different scales in this thread), I would give the episode ****.
Old July 3 2009, 06:38 AM   #2043
CaptJamesScott
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a similar experience with Enterprise. I watched the first season religiously when it came out....and then I stopped watching it. I felt it was even more bland than Voyager at times. But then in 2005 when the show was canceled, I went back and watched every episode, and realized, that this may be the last Star Trek show ever put on TV. So I quickly gained a whole new respect and appreciation for Enterprise. It's still one of my least favorite series, but its still Star Trek.
CaptJamesScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 07:31 PM   #2044
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

CaptJamesScott wrote: View Post
I had a similar experience with Enterprise. I watched the first season religiously when it came out....and then I stopped watching it. I felt it was even more bland than Voyager at times. But then in 2005 when the show was canceled, I went back and watched every episode, and realized, that this may be the last Star Trek show ever put on TV. So I quickly gained a whole new respect and appreciation for Enterprise. It's still one of my least favorite series, but its still Star Trek.
I think I may have few more miles before I get to that point. I admit that I have some major prejudice against Enterprise, but perhaps one day I will overcome them.
Old July 3 2009, 08:14 PM   #2045
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Juggernaut: this episode had some decent bits but it needed a tighter character focus - what did they actually need Chakotay and Neelix on the away mission for? - just send in Torres and the Malon leader guy. This could have been a really good episode for B'Elanna, but as it was it was just OK. Also, what was all the stuff about suddenly finding a star and being able to send the Malon ship into it at impulse so very quickly? I can handle travelling at the speed of plot most of the time (like the episode of DS9 "Dax" where Odo seemingly went from another solar system to the station in about an hour), but this just seemed silly.
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 08:16 PM   #2046
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Naah. Finding a star was not a problem for me at all. And I rather liked that Neelix and Chakotay were involved in the mission.
Old July 3 2009, 09:59 PM   #2047
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Tachyon wrote: View Post
I admit that I have some major prejudice against Enterprise, but perhaps one day I will overcome them.
Just out of curiosity: what prejudices would that be?
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 11:34 PM   #2048
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Someone to Watch Over Me (***½)

This is the first episode since Latent Image (excluding Course: Oblivion because it wasn't about the real Voyager) where the ship or a crewmember is not placed in peril during some point in the episode, and boy was I waiting for this. Putting the ship in danger is good when done in moderation, but some of the action scenes in this recent string of episodes have been especially forced, such as at the end of Gravity or The Disease. In contrast, Someone to Watch Over Me is completely character driven, there's not even a single explosion!

I enjoyed the scenes between Shmully and Seven, the two of them displayed great chemistry throughout the episode, and while I don't share Shmully's infatuation with Seven I can certainly buy into him falling for her. The problem I have with this story is that the episode ends with the status quo intact; Seven chickens out of continuing her search for a man and Shmully chickens out of telling her about the feelings he has developed for her. I was okay with that back when I first saw the episode because I thought something might come of this in the future, but the only pay-off this episode brings is a cheap joke in the penultimate episode.

Then you have the b-plot where Neelix is tasked with taking care of an ambassador, I did not care for this at all. Not only was the ambassador's gluttony overdone, but to me this is a rehash of Troi having to deal with the gluttonous ambassador in TNG's Liaisons. The episode did not need this and I feel it detracted from the otherwise good Shmully/Seven story.

But what this episode really needed was a kickin' piano duet between Seven and Shmully, it would have blown everyone's mind.
Old July 4 2009, 12:19 AM   #2049
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

If there was one thing I really hated about Voyager it was the over-reliance on action and putting the ship in jeopordy. One thing I loved about both TNG and DS9 was that if there was an action sequence, it was an event. It was moderate, and it was worth the wait. Action sequences in voyager happened almost every week and on DVD you really start to notice how repetitive things get.

That's why I like episodes like Someone to watch Over me. It's a character piece and while there is some silly humor, it doesn't stray away too much from what the show was trying to get. It's a great episode and probably season 5's best episode.
Old July 4 2009, 01:03 AM   #2050
Seven of Five
Commodore

I love 'Someone to Watch Over Me,' but I'm a bit of a sap! The Doc and Seven have brilliant chemistry - their duet is delightful. The lighter tone throughout the episode works a treat after a series of relentless episodes. I realise that there was no proper follow-up, but I like to think 'Schmullus' was deeply affected by his time with Seven in this episode.

Harry probing Seven about who was on her 'date list,' (not him), and then her first date ending in disaster - all very nice. The B-plot wasn't too bad either - Neelix was a bit out of his depth, which was comical, but the other guy he was looking after was a bit of a jerk.

4.5/5 for me. Best episode in a while.
Old July 4 2009, 02:22 AM   #2051
Praetor
Vice Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
Juggernaut (**)

TUVOK: Thirty seven escape pods.
PARIS: They're contaminated with theta radiation.
CHAKOTAY: Malon?
JANEWAY: Possibly.
Highly unlikely, it shouldn't have been in Chakotay's mind at all considering the fact that Voyager jumped 30,000 light-years since the last time they encountered the Malon. In fact, in their current position they're just as likely to encounter the Romulans as they are the Malon, probably moreso considering how much more advanced the Romulans seem to be. Voyager could not possibly encounter the Malon out here.

TUVOK: Theta radiation has affected a radius of six hundred million kilometres.
JANEWAY: Source?
TUVOK: A Malon freighter travelling at high impulse. It appears to be abandoned.

Clearly the writers didn't bother paying any attention to the events happening on their show, not even big event episodes like Timeless and Dark Frontier. And it's not a production glitch either, this episode appears to have aired in the correct order.

This is another episode which falls in the "meh" category for me, it's not bad and there is some interesting atmosphere built up on the Malon freighter, but I just didn't find it that interesting. B'Elanna has anger issues? Been there, done that. It feels like the same problem Harry Kim has, no matter what happens in an episode he will always revert back to being the naive ensign, well it seems that B'Elanna will always revert back to being angry B'Elanna. As for the "monster" on the Malon ship, there was no point in hiding the fact that it was a Malon who had been exposed to the radiation because that was obvious.

There's a good episode in here somewhere, but as is it has character and continuity problems.
Totally agreed. How much more awesome would this episode have been if the juggernaut in question been the Narada?

Nevermind.

In other news, one of the Malons was played by Vorik.

Someone to Watch Over Me (***½)

This is the first episode since Latent Image (excluding Course: Oblivion because it wasn't about the real Voyager) where the ship or a crewmember is not placed in peril during some point in the episode, and boy was I waiting for this. Putting the ship in danger is good when done in moderation, but some of the action scenes in this recent string of episodes have been especially forced, such as at the end of Gravity or The Disease. In contrast, Someone to Watch Over Me is completely character driven, there's not even a single explosion!

I enjoyed the scenes between Shmully and Seven, the two of them displayed great chemistry throughout the episode, and while I don't share Shmully's infatuation with Seven I can certainly buy into him falling for her. The problem I have with this story is that the episode ends with the status quo intact; Seven chickens out of continuing her search for a man and Shmully chickens out of telling her about the feelings he has developed for her. I was okay with that back when I first saw the episode because I thought something might come of this in the future, but the only pay-off this episode brings is a cheap joke in the penultimate episode.

Then you have the b-plot where Neelix is tasked with taking care of an ambassador, I did not care for this at all. Not only was the ambassador's gluttony overdone, but to me this is a rehash of Troi having to deal with the gluttonous ambassador in TNG's Liaisons. The episode did not need this and I feel it detracted from the otherwise good Shmully/Seven story.

But what this episode really needed was a kickin' piano duet between Seven and Shmully, it would have blown everyone's mind.
Agreed here too. A-plot, winner for me. B-plot, sucko.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
If there was one thing I really hated about Voyager it was the over-reliance on action and putting the ship in jeopordy. One thing I loved about both TNG and DS9 was that if there was an action sequence, it was an event. It was moderate, and it was worth the wait. Action sequences in voyager happened almost every week and on DVD you really start to notice how repetitive things get.

That's why I like episodes like Someone to watch Over me. It's a character piece and while there is some silly humor, it doesn't stray away too much from what the show was trying to get. It's a great episode and probably season 5's best episode.
Well said.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 02:26 AM   #2052
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

Someone to Watch Over Me
For some reason, I found the lobster scene endlessly amusing. The guest actor who was Seven's date/victim was great — really should have brought him back later for a follow up. Of course, this is Voyager, and we don't do that kind of thing here
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 05:51 PM   #2053
happydave
Lieutenant Commander

Imagine a show where a character showed up in two episodes, died, and then showed up in a third with no explanation as to how he aten't dead.
Sounds like The Original Series where half the background redshirts would pop back up even though they'd been killed. Galloway for example. Leslie would also move around doing every job around the ship.
happydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 06:29 PM   #2054
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

happydave wrote: View Post
Imagine a show where a character showed up in two episodes, died, and then showed up in a third with no explanation as to how he aten't dead.
Sounds like The Original Series where half the background redshirts would pop back up even though they'd been killed. Galloway for example. Leslie would also move around doing every job around the ship.

Ooo! Good one, Happydave, good one!

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Tachyon wrote: View Post
I admit that I have some major prejudice against Enterprise, but perhaps one day I will overcome them.
Just out of curiosity: what prejudices would that be?
CountZero; I will try to provide you a sensible answer when I have sobered up. (Too much white wine tonight, I'm afraid!)
Old July 4 2009, 08:15 PM   #2055
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

happydave wrote: View Post
Galloway's death was the least of The Omega Glory's problems, but your point is taken.