TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 2 2009, 07:32 AM   #31
Creedence
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Alternate Timeline: Things I Don't Think People Understand

xman wrote: View Post
Where is the suspense, the emotional investment, the importance in multiple timelines? You're not in your universe and nothing you do will change a thing that happens there. You're totally somewhen else and will never get back. Okay Nero is a man obsessed with revenge and he doesn't care that he's not at home any more he still gets to kill some Vulcans. His motive doesn't change. Spock didn't go willingly back in time and he'll still do what he can to prevent mass murder. But here's me saying, "You're telling me I have an escape clause to ignore this movie if I want, that I can choose not to accept it as some form of canon and discard its events as irrelevant to my beloved history"? Stupid writer right there who removes any stakes he might have created. It doesn't matter anyway because Orci is functionally wrong.

Here's why:
We will never again, (how much you wanna bet?) EVER (how much??) see another movie or series set in the old universe. "Prime" now exists solely in the imagination of the fanboy. A good place for it too since there are many imaginitive people here alone.

However you want to add it up, Prime is gone and Nu is here to stay.

PS QM justifications for multiple realities is such a stretch, really. Quantum particles don't care when or where they are or where they're going, and according to Heisenberg, particles only have the potential to be different(=alternate) until we observe them anyhow and then they're real and they're here.

Done my rant. Don't expect I'll change anyone's mind and please, don't try to change mine. I choose to care about Nu instead.
That was AWESOME! NuTrek FTW!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:35 AM   #32
Creedence
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Parallel Universe

James Bond wrote: View Post
I think that the timeline in Star Trek IS the Prime timeline, and that it has been changed (some of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY as we knew them wiped out ie. a reboot) by the events of the movie; but the producers were forced to throw in the stuff about "alternate timelines" in order to appease the canon freaks and prevent mass suicides.
Could be and that suits me just fine. Relegating all that came before nuTrek to oblivion is really OK with me. I will still enjoy all that material but, hopefully, NONE of those stories will ever be revisited. Even my 13-year-old son knows it's foolish to remake the Wrath of Khan.
Old July 2 2009, 09:50 AM   #33
Jax
Admiral

I wish the writers would of addressed the issue properly on screen with clear writing because Spock says Alternative Universe but the way the plot is written it all indicates Spock just meant there universe have been changed and not the spinoff Universe theory that the Orci hinted at offscreen. Orci and the other one should of done better in that area but IMO The Prime Universe history has been wiped and replaced but I think time finds a way to get back on track and events will still happen close to what we know unless we see reboots of TNG in future of course.

But if the spinoff Universe idea works for you fine.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 05:46 AM   #34
xman
Commander

Creedence wrote: View Post
That was AWESOME! NuTrek FTW!
Thanks, I'll be here all week.
Old July 3 2009, 06:36 AM   #35
npsf3000
Lieutenant Commander

Instead of simply travelling back in time, Nero travelled back in time AND into an already-existing parallel universe. This so-called 'diagonal time travel' has already happened once in Star Trek: the Defiant in 'In a Mirror Darkly'. In my opinion, this is the best explanation because it explains why all the technology looks completely different. Nero destroying the USS Kelvin doesn't explain that at all.
This is the worst explanation because it removes any attachment to this universe - because its just another parallel universe - if things go bad go to another one.

"all the technology looks completely different"

Two explinations.

A)
This is the 21st century, things have to progress for the show to be realistic, how come TOS looks outdated even though its set in the future?.

B)
Time is a Dimension, if your going to allow time travel then your going to have to come to grips with the fact that things in the future can effect the past. (Think 2d pond and stone thrown into it, the ripples travel out both ways, not just one).
Old July 3 2009, 06:14 PM   #36
Creedence
Lieutenant Commander

npsf3000 wrote: View Post
Time is a Dimension, if your going to allow time travel then your going to have to come to grips with the fact that things in the future can effect the past. (Think 2d pond and stone thrown into it, the ripples travel out both ways, not just one).
That is one of the coolest explanations I've ever heard for why the "past" invariably looks different from recorded history when people from the "future" visit it.