Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 2 2009, 04:38 AM   #46
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

I think the synopsis for the Romulan War novel is different. They removed the mention of attacking Earth.
Old July 2 2009, 05:47 AM   #47
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Marie1 wrote: View Post
I'm curious about Precipice since I'm reading Summon the Thunder at the moment, after reading what the linked site said about it... it's like..."what happened...?"

*puzzled*

Soon I'll get to find out!
It's worse for me - I usually read in as close to chronological order as possible and mostly wait until my next run to read any new books (the recent trend towards more connected novels has made me rethink this policy in the novels set in the 24th century, though). I'm getting close to them, but I've still only read the FIRST Vanguard novel.

On the topic of the covers, I've got to say, they do feel fairly... underwhelming. I can understand the reasoning, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree here - specifically, I disagree with the idea that there is some kind of embarrassment with reading a Star Trek novel - a novel based on a TV show that is still watched and loved by fans both long-term and recent after forty plus years? I've proudly read my novels in plain sight from age nine, and have never once been mocked for it.

Synthesis' cover is especially visually unappealing to me - to my eye, the cover resembles a romance novel more than a sci-fi novel. Given that I'm a twenty-one year old male, THAT would be embarrassing for me to be seen reading, far more than reading a Star Trek book ever would.

However, I guess I'm somewhat in the minority in that I don't think the 'Unworthy' cover doesn't look all that bad. It actually makes me think of the opening credits of Voyager. That one and Vanguard look really nice.

I agree with the comments on T'Pol's head and face looking very odd, though. I also think there's something wrong with Archer's face. Not sure what exactly, but something just looks... off.

Marlena's face also looks to be lighted different than her body. Am I alone in that I kinda liked the full body shot of the two from the stand-in cover more than the close ups? Though I would also like to see something a little more evident that this is the mirror universe than just the title and the bearded Spock - maybe a Terran Empire symbol or something?
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:06 AM   #48
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I'll be honest; I still think the best TrekLit covers are the Avatar books. Though either way, I've been reading trek books on Kindle since March, and the lack of covers really hasn't bothered me at all.

I do love the Neverending Sacrifice cover, though; I may buy that book just to have the cover. It's lovely.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:17 AM   #49
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Does anybody know if they're going to be selling the TNES cover in larger sizes? If so, who would be the legitimate seller?
Old July 2 2009, 07:19 AM   #50
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Does anybody know if they're going to be selling the TNES cover in larger sizes? If so, who would be the legitimate seller?
I've never heard of them doing anything like that. I know KRAD has the cover art for Diplomatic Implausibility in a larger size, but I believe that was a special arrangement with the artist.

I think it'd be pretty brilliant if they sold prints of some of these covers, but I suppose the market would be rather small.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 07:30 AM   #51
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

It probably would be a small market. But, there is a such thing as print-on-demand for art prints, just one at a time as people order them. Sites like deviantART or cafepress provide a venue. Now, I bet the publisher could do it a little better than that, but they could also work with one of those sources or something similar, as a way to get it done.
Old July 2 2009, 10:27 AM   #52
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

It probably would be a small market. But, there is a such thing as print-on-demand for art prints, just one at a time as people order them. Sites like deviantART or cafepress provide a venue. Now, I bet the publisher could do it a little better than that, but they could also work with one of those sources or something similar, as a way to get it done.
Stephan Martinere is an artist of Trek covers. He did the cover for Sky's the limit which is a very beautiful cover. I loved it that I contacted him directly and asked if it was available to purchase and he linked me to his site.

He's got a lot of neat stuff there for purchasing and the prices vary depending on the work.

On a side note: Where is the cover link to the NES?
Old July 2 2009, 11:30 AM   #53
Kirks_Flying_Wig
Commander

Man of Steel wrote: View Post
Stephan Martinere is an artist of Trek covers. He did the cover for Sky's the limit which is a very beautiful cover. I loved it that I contacted him directly and asked if it was available to purchase and he linked me to his site.

He's got a lot of neat stuff there for purchasing and the prices vary depending on the work.

On a side note: Where is the cover link to the NES?
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File...fice_cover.jpg

Trekmovie might have a larger size.
Kirks_Flying_Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 01:13 PM   #54
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

Such a pretty cover.

Thanks for the link Kirk.

Who's the man in the photo? Hard to make out.

Nice to see Cardassia.
Old July 2 2009, 01:27 PM   #55
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Is this the first time a Tellarite has featured on cover art?
The Tellarite crewmember in CoE/SCE has been on the virtual covers.

But I'm excited that I own this costume ("It's A Wrap!" eBay auctions), that appears on the cover of "The Romulan War"!

Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 02:17 PM   #56
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

I have to agree with some folks here. Several of these covers made me wince. I can see why there are so many covers with just ships on them, if this is what they do with the portraits of the characters.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 02:22 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
On the topic of the covers, I've got to say, they do feel fairly... underwhelming. I can understand the reasoning, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree here - specifically, I disagree with the idea that there is some kind of embarrassment with reading a Star Trek novel - a novel based on a TV show that is still watched and loved by fans both long-term and recent after forty plus years? I've proudly read my novels in plain sight from age nine, and have never once been mocked for it.
There's a misinterpretation here about the thinking behind Pocket's cover philosophy. The idea of having covers that you wouldn't be embarrassed to read on the subway has nothing to do with whether they're Star Trek or not, just with whether they're good cover designs or not. The goal isn't to hide their identity as Trek novels, simply to reject the old, cheesy cover designs of the past. It's not about being ashamed of ST, it's about wanting to make ST look as classy as it deserves to look.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 03:27 PM   #58
JD
Admiral

I really think that most of the actual designs of the covers are pretty cool, and I would probably really like them, but IMO the actual excution just needs work.
Old July 2 2009, 07:09 PM   #59
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

But I'm excited that I own this costume ("It's A Wrap!" eBay auctions), that appears on the cover of "The Romulan War"!

Therin in a Tellarite costume? I've crossed over into some warped Mirror Universe, haven't I?
Old July 2 2009, 09:06 PM   #60
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Very nice, Therin...you wear it well.