Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 1 2009, 10:03 PM   #31
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Unworthy- I liked the simple shot of Voyager in space for Full Circle. It really projected the tone of the book, feeling contemplative, hopeful, sad, majestic, and simple all at once. This time around, it feels uninspired, though. The Voyager render also doesn't hide that it's CGI all to well. I wonder what happened to the design-in-progress with Seven and Chakotay on the front.

Enterprise- It's not as awful as all the posters on TrekMovie are saying (not that anything seems to please that crowd), just... plain. It says "Enterprise", but not "Romulan War". I like T'Pol finally in uniform, though.

Titan- Um... when did Jonathan Frakes start posing for the covers of romance novels? The flying open collar of the undershirt is a little extreme. Minuet seems awkward, too. Not bad besides that, though. It would be plain, but it's not an event novel like the previous two.

Vangaurd- Awesome shot, but ever since his blog opened I've been a Drexler fanboy, so that opinion is expected.

I'm looking forward to these books, although I need to catch up on Titan and Vangaurd before I get to them.
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 10:04 PM   #32
J47
Commander

I didn't mind the shot of Voyager on the Full Circle cover, but to repeat the idea on the next book feels uninspired. This is made worse by the feeling that the artwork is unfinished and could use some polishing.

My issue with these is that, with the notable exception of The Never-Ending Sacrifice, the covers for the upcoming novels feel like a return to the era of a lack of inspiration for Trek covers dominated by floating heads in space. Granted the Titan and Vanguard covers stay true to established motifs (and are well executed, just like their predecessors), but does this mean that from here on out we'll be seeing uninspired ship shots for Voyager's relaunch? The cover for The Romulan War does not, in any way, convey a 'war' to me, not even a cold war; instead it makes me think we're going to be getting a lot of cerebral diplomatic conversations. The Sorrows of Empire's cover is bland, bland, bland - are we on Vulcan? And the cover for The Soul Key just looks cheap.

I guess this just goes to show how spoiled we've been over the last couple of years when it came to gorgeous artwork for our Trek covers.
J47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 10:36 PM   #33
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

The cover for Unworthy is the same image from this month of the 2009 Ships of the Line Calendar. So it's not an original image, but in my opinion it does look better on the book than in the calendar.
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:03 PM   #34
historypeats
Rear Admiral

J47 wrote: View Post
I didn't mind the shot of Voyager on the Full Circle cover, but to repeat the idea on the next book feels uninspired. This is made worse by the feeling that the artwork is unfinished and could use some polishing.

My issue with these is that, with the notable exception of The Never-Ending Sacrifice, the covers for the upcoming novels feel like a return to the era of a lack of inspiration for Trek covers dominated by floating heads in space. Granted the Titan and Vanguard covers stay true to established motifs (and are well executed, just like their predecessors), but does this mean that from here on out we'll be seeing uninspired ship shots for Voyager's relaunch? The cover for The Romulan War does not, in any way, convey a 'war' to me, not even a cold war; instead it makes me think we're going to be getting a lot of cerebral diplomatic conversations. The Sorrows of Empire's cover is bland, bland, bland - are we on Vulcan? And the cover for The Soul Key just looks cheap.

I guess this just goes to show how spoiled we've been over the last couple of years when it came to gorgeous artwork for our Trek covers.
My feelings exactly. "Floating heads again...dammit" was the first thing that came to mind.

And as for Margaret's comment about what amount to "Trek-lite" covers...look, I understand to a certain extent where she's coming from. I feel less awkward about reading Trek books on the Kindle in public than if I'm holding a paperback.

But here's the thing: that attitude's left over from being friends with a whole bunch of people who couldn't give a damn about Trek.

That's also left over from a time before a new Star Trek film could pull in $250 million domestically.

I can't imagine that shame over being seen with a Trek novel in public has any appreciable impact on Pocket's bottom line.

And if it does, that still doesn't excuse these lazy designs. As someone else alluded to earlier, "Star Trek" is still on the cover; people are still wearing Starfleet uniforms on them. Those designs are plenty recognizable. They're just amateurish. Frankly, I'd be more embarrassed to be seen in public reading something with The Soul Key's cover than with The Never Ending Sacrifice's art. Even if you do have to go the floating-heads route, Titan's done a great job with theirs - Orion's Hounds color scheme works particularly well.

I'm still excited to read these, but there's no valid reason that I shouldn't demand what amounts to a nice garnish with the main course.
historypeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:23 PM   #35
Man of Steel
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Man of Steel Send a message via Yahoo to Man of Steel

If you have a book about a war, then why would u put a picture of a crew on the cover instead of something resembling a war?
Old July 1 2009, 11:23 PM   #36
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

You can almost see the bruise on Riker from where Troi slapped him silly.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:25 PM   #37
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Man of Steel wrote: View Post
If you have a book about a war, then why would u put a picture of a crew on the cover instead of something resembling a war?
Well, my guess: It shows us Archer, representing Earth, and his extraterrestrial allies, making a stand- united- against the Romulan's xenophobia-driven war machine?
Old July 1 2009, 11:54 PM   #38
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I have no job, but I'm looking, and I need to shell out loads of moolah for all these books and more besides...Grrrr

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 12:43 AM   #39
JD
Admiral

All of the books sound great, but I do have to agree about the Romulan War and Unworthy covers. IMO they're both boring and rather poor quality. Especially The Romulan War, IMO the picture is just weird looking. My only complaint about Unworthy is that it's another shot of Voyager, which we already got for FC. As for the others, I actually don't mind them so much, except I don't care for the way Riker's vest uniform looks with the shirt open like that. I do love the Precipice cover though, it's just as awsome as the other Vanguard ones, and I'm rather indifferent to Sorrows. It's not horrible in anyway, but there's nothing particularly awsome about it.

Now as for the descriptions, those I love. I think this is probably the most excited I've been for an entire group of Trek books in a while.
Old July 2 2009, 01:15 AM   #40
Marie1
Rear Admiral

I'm curious about Precipice since I'm reading Summon the Thunder at the moment, after reading what the linked site said about it... it's like..."what happened...?"

*puzzled*

Soon I'll get to find out!
Old July 2 2009, 03:09 AM   #41
shanejayell
Captain

About David Mack's "The Sorrows of Empire" wasn't that already out in the Mirror Universe omnibus?
shanejayell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 03:11 AM   #42
Ktrek
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Margaret described her cover philosophy at Shore Leave last year thusly: For her books, she wants covers that don't obviously look like Star Trek covers, that someone can read on the New York subway and not be embarassed by.
If that is true then she needs to re-think what is embarrasing. I think all but the Vangaurd book would be embarrasing for me to carry on the subway! In fact the word ashamed comes to mind.

Kevin
Old July 2 2009, 03:15 AM   #43
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

shanejayell wrote: View Post
About David Mack's "The Sorrows of Empire" wasn't that already out in the Mirror Universe omnibus?
This is a full-novel-length expanded version of that story.
Old July 2 2009, 03:32 AM   #44
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Is it expanded enough to buy it if you already own Glass Empires?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 03:35 AM   #45
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
Is it expanded enough to buy it if you already own Glass Empires?
It will be more than double the length of the original.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote