RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 519
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old June 25 2009, 08:00 PM   #1066
Shaw
Commodore

Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Then (Insert favority deity here) help the bridge crew if that backs up and somebody just had an Arcturian burrito.
So what are you saying here? That that would be the perfect spot in case of an emergency where the crew would need to vent the atmosphere into space?
Old June 26 2009, 03:31 AM   #1067
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

That is a good point.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of the crewman with the questionable taste in burritos coming back onto the bridge with the advice of "Do NOT go in there!" just ahead of the mind-numbing stench pouring out from the vents under the communications console.
Old June 26 2009, 03:56 PM   #1068
doctorwho 03
Captain

Oh, god. What can of worms did I open?

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old June 26 2009, 05:39 PM   #1069
Shaw
Commodore

doctorwho 03 wrote: View Post
What can of worms did I open?
Can of worms?

My mistake, I was under the impression we were discussing a different type of can.
Old June 27 2009, 02:05 AM   #1070
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Gagh, perhaps?
Old July 1 2009, 01:48 AM   #1071
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Shaw wrote: View Post
The Smithsonian released a number of images that had not been seen before...
The Smithsonian just added some new X-ray images, check em out
Old July 1 2009, 04:42 AM   #1072
Shaw
Commodore

Thanks for pointing that out... those are great images!
Old July 1 2009, 06:19 AM   #1073
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Almost enough there to put together some real construction blueprints.
Old July 1 2009, 08:26 PM   #1074
doctorwho 03
Captain

I was looking over my photos of the 11-foot model taken during my trip to DC back in 2006, and I noticed right next to the 1837 secondary hull decal near the hangar bay is some kind of clear bulb thing I never realized was there before. It wasn't until I watched "Conscience of the King" when I realized that bulb was used by the Remastering team as the elusive Ion Pod. Was that the original intent of that bulb or was it just a light?

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old July 1 2009, 09:23 PM   #1075
Shaw
Commodore

I was looking over my photos of the 11-foot model taken during my trip to DC back in 2006, and I noticed right next to the 1837 secondary hull decal near the hangar bay is some kind of clear bulb thing I never realized was there before. It wasn't until I watched "Conscience of the King" when I realized that bulb was used by the Remastering team as the elusive Ion Pod. Was that the original intent of that bulb or was it just a light?
It was originally (before remastering) a blinking formation light that was in sequence with similar lights on the primary hull.

Honestly, the attempt to add more effects footage to Court Martial (and point out the ion pod) in the remastered version was a mistake. It was best left unknown rather than attempting to repurpose something that already had a function.

But in the end it served the purpose that the remastering team wanted... it let them do something extra and visually interesting.
Old July 2 2009, 03:13 AM   #1076
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Shaw wrote: View Post
It was originally (before remastering) a blinking formation light that was in sequence with similar lights on the primary hull.

Honestly, the attempt to add more effects footage to Court Martial (and point out the ion pod) in the remastered version was a mistake. It was best left unknown rather than attempting to repurpose something that already had a function.

But in the end it served the purpose that the remastering team wanted... it let them do something extra and visually interesting.
It's especially problematic when your realize the size of that detail... and the fact that it's not large enough to be a "pod" at all. More like a "coffin."

Which, I s'pose, was sort of the point in that episode, but still, from a practical standpoint, not really very logical. Not unless the TOS ship was presumed by the SFX guys to be "Abrams-sized."
Old July 2 2009, 07:53 AM   #1077
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

It's easy enough to work around that, though, and just figure that the light blew during the trip through the ion storm.

After all, it's not like there's some Loony Toons sign popping up, saying, "HERE'S WHERE THE ION POD WAS, KIDS!"

So, my scheme of the ion pods being launched from the B/C deck at the end of the big umbilical is still just as viable.
Old July 2 2009, 10:25 PM   #1078
Praetor
Vice Admiral

... or anywhere else for that matter.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old July 3 2009, 12:28 AM   #1079
Maurice
Vice Admiral

After all, it's not like there's some Loony Toons sign popping up, saying, "HERE'S WHERE THE ION POD WAS, KIDS!"
Most often practiced by Tex Avery, which he did at both Warners and MGM.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old July 3 2009, 11:53 AM   #1080
Shaw
Commodore

It's easy enough to work around that, though, and just figure that the light blew during the trip through the ion storm.

Interesting point... I don't recall if I've actually seen the remastered episode at this point (I have the old DVDs and the version I bought for iTunes was the original), so other than the effects shots shown on YouTube and in screen captures, I'm not sure how the changing of the bulb was presented in the context of the story.

But you are correct in that nothing originally filmed would have said what was happening beyond "repairs".
Closed Thread