Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 1 2009, 06:36 AM   #16
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Favorite alien race

Yes. What happened, is that they swapped the Romulans and Klingons. The Romulans had a bit of a code of honor while the Klingons were just merciless thugs.

Now the Klingons have the code of honor and the Romulans are sly thugs.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 06:54 AM   #17
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Heh...I'm not so sure about the modern Klingons REALLY having a code of honor... Don't get me started on those guys. I am one of those who thinks maybe the Feddie-Klingon alliance went a little (read: WAY) too far.
Old July 1 2009, 07:18 AM   #18
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Meh. The Klingons are vastly overrated and their appeal escapes me.

I once had a big tall guy dressed as a Klingon come up to little ole 5-6 me and say something that sounded threatening in "Klingon."

Too bad for him I know about ten words of "Romulan." After I answered him back (standing right up in the personal space of someone bigger than I is no problem,) he said "What language was that?"

"Romulan," I said proudly. "Have a nice day!"

He was at a loss for words.

My idea of fun at a Star Trek convention is to walk past a group of Klingons and shout "Long Live Romulus!"

The things I hear in return!

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Hah, I enjoyed harassing the "Klingon" at the sci-fi convention I went to. Spoke Cardassian (my made-up version of it...isn't that sad? ), insulted his honor, the whole works.
Old July 1 2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Osiris Aten
Lieutenant

JD wrote: View Post
All of the discussion about Cardassians in the philosophy got me wondering what everyone's favorite races are, and if you have a favorite book(s) focusing on them.
For me it's, in no particular order:
Klingons (A Time for War, a Time For Peace, Left Hand of Dstiny, Art of the Impossible)
Cardassians (A Stitch in Time, Terok Nor, DS9 Relaunch)
Andorians (Paradigm)
Romulans (Serpent Among the Ruins, ENT: Relaunch)
In fiction, I really enjoy a good villian, and so I would have to say the Romulans (TOS. TNG. & DS9) because they were always behind the scenes manipulating situations. However, the Dominion would ultimately be my favorite w/ Changeling leaders, Vorta "middlemen," and the Jem'Hadar warriors. The Founders made the Romulans appear tame in comparison especially after the destruction of the Obsidian Order & Tal Shiar fleet & they actually engaged the Federation in a full-scale war.
Old July 1 2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Hah, I enjoyed harassing the "Klingon" at the sci-fi convention I went to. Spoke Cardassian (my made-up version of it...isn't that sad? ), insulted his honor, the whole works.
Ah, yes several cutting remarks that did great damage to his ego. Superior Cardassian intellect wins out again.

Seriously, we lost a war to THAT rabble?

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 11:06 AM   #22
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

I'm going to mention a race no one else has, even though no one has really written a book that truly featured it: Caitians.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 04:58 PM   #23
Marie1
Rear Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post

Oh, what can I say. The pointy-ears, smarts and passion of both races get me every time.
Passion?

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
Ah, yes several cutting remarks that did great damage to his ego. Superior Cardassian intellect wins out again.

Awesome!! LOL!!!!!!!
Vote: RA Avatar Contest #21!
"He sings lounges? I'm not familiar with that musical form."
-Taran'atar, DS9-R Mission Gamma 3 --Save Taran'atar!
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 05:22 PM   #24
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

The Rihannsu. The Romulan Way is my second favorite Trek novel.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 06:01 PM   #25
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Lost???

More like the Federation refused to take a stand when their "allies" got out of line. And who knows--we had it down to a stalemate before Dukat the Traitor took over...we could've won yet!
Old July 1 2009, 07:07 PM   #26
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Lost???

More like the Federation refused to take a stand when their "allies" got out of line. And who knows--we had it down to a stalemate before Dukat the Traitor took over...we could've won yet!
Of course our superior tactics and strategy where winning the day but the Klingon's cloaks give them a big advantage in Ship to Ship combat.
Damn Romulans...

And yeah the Federation should have payed more attention to their unstable allies, the KE is a extremist state based on a blood stoaked ideology of 'honourable' combat. That's not going to end well for anyone. (except for the Founders...)

Old July 1 2009, 07:10 PM   #27
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Indeed. And how dare they condemn Cardassia for subjugating and attacking other worlds, while ignoring the less-than-kind actions of their "allies"...
Old July 1 2009, 07:26 PM   #28
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Indeed. And how dare they condemn Cardassia for subjugating and attacking other worlds, while ignoring the less-than-kind actions of their "allies"...
I suppose it's only so they can keep the Klingons on side due to their effectiveness as shock troops againist the Federations enemies.
Humans, so predictably treacherous.

Or they could just be bloody fools.

Old July 1 2009, 07:28 PM   #29
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

A mix of both. So foolish and naive they don't even REALIZE they're treacherous. And that's what makes them dangerous.
Old July 1 2009, 07:36 PM   #30
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Vulcans

Cardassians

Bajorans

and

Changelings/Founders - because they are actually different, and because formerly oppressed people who become the ultimate oppressors and conquerors makes for a great story. The only problem is that their physical representation wasn't all that convincing (they've imitated solid humanoid form too much, and too often with Odo-like shapeless face - it would have been more interesting to see them either in non-humanoid shapes, or posing as members of other races for infiltration purposes; both were done, but rarely).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote