Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 30 2009, 08:27 AM   #61
Sci
Admiral

Re: Parody of Giacchiono's Star Trek theme music.

mverta wrote: View Post
Nobody has to apologize or justify what they like or don't like; I'm not saying that. I thought the movie was substance-less ass with absolutely no character development, which sold both Kirk, the Enterprise, and the entire courageous mission of the show short. But I don't wish people to have had a bad experience; if you loved it, that's great!: You had fun, and didn't feel like you'd paid $10 to be bent over without a towel to bite on. You're not "less than" in my eyes because you had fun and I didn't.

_Mike
"Nobody has to apologize for or justify what they like or don't like; I'm not saying that. The movie was pure trash that no one with a brain could love, but I don't wish you to have had a bad experience! You're not 'less than' in my eyes because you have no taste and I do. And I'm not saying your mother is a whore, I'm just saying it's interesting that she has money."
Old June 30 2009, 09:48 AM   #62
mverta
Ensign

Sci wrote: View Post
The movie was pure trash that no one with a brain could love
...Except I didn't say that. I said exactly the opposite; I said specifically you're not less-than for liking this movie. You had to invent insults I didn't hurl to make your case. Seems to me you're working awfully hard to make yourself a victim. If you liked it, you liked it; great. I didn't. Big deal.

And I certainly didn't call your mom a whore; everyone I know has had her for free.

ZING! Okay, relax, everyone.

Anyway...

_Mike
Old June 30 2009, 09:56 AM   #63
mverta
Ensign

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Then again, you're married to Danica McKellar, so you must be doing something right.
I've given hope to millions.

_Mike
Old June 30 2009, 02:33 PM   #64
Sci
Admiral

The movie was pure trash that no one with a brain could love
...Except I didn't say that.
No, but when you compare the fact that some people enjoyed the movie to the fact that some people eat insects, it kinda undermines any pretensions of civility you've maintained.
Old June 30 2009, 02:35 PM   #65
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

"Nobody has to apologize for or justify what they like or don't like; I'm not saying that. The movie was pure trash that no one with a brain could love, but I don't wish you to have had a bad experience! You're not 'less than' in my eyes because you have no taste and I do. And I'm not saying your mother is a whore, I'm just saying it's interesting that she has money."
Perfect. You've hit the tone just right.
Old June 30 2009, 03:03 PM   #66
mverta
Ensign

Well, if you say so. I can only type the same thing so many times. Can't really argue with a dude who thinks he knows better than you do what you're saying, can you? And I already tried to clarify any misunderstanding.

_Mike
Old June 30 2009, 05:20 PM   #67
Sci
Admiral

Well, if you say so. I can only type the same thing so many times. Can't really argue with a dude who thinks he knows better than you do what you're saying, can you? And I already tried to clarify any misunderstanding.
The point is not so much that I know better than you do what you're trying to say. The point is that you worded it in such a way that you sounded like you were being incredibly rude to people who liked the film even if you did not mean to.

I mean, seriously. Comparing liking Star Trek to eating insects? Did you really think no one would be insulted by that? Let's be reasonable here.

Having said all that, I must give props to any fellow geek who has managed to convince Danica McKellar to marry him. Good going, man!
Old June 30 2009, 05:29 PM   #68
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

I mean, seriously. Comparing liking Star Trek to eating insects? Did you really think no one would be insulted by that? Let's be reasonable here.
What's the difference? I bet if you asked, those people might say they really like eating insects.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 07:06 PM   #69
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Nobody has to apologize or justify what they like or don't like; I'm not saying that. I thought the movie was substance-less ass with absolutely no character development, which sold both Kirk, the Enterprise, and the entire courageous mission of the show short. But I don't wish people to have had a bad experience; if you loved it, that's great!: You had fun, and didn't feel like you'd paid $10 to be bent over without a towel to bite on. You're not "less than" in my eyes because you had fun and I didn't.

_Mike
I loved the movie ... saw it three times and almost put off buying my kid a new pair of shoes to see it a fourth. I'll buy the DVD, too, when it comes out.

But it was just dumb, popcorn-level entertainment. There was nothing thought-provoking to be found in any of it, unless you consider the debates about the size of the Enterprise a sign of something thought-provoking. And almost as many WTF moments as lens flares.

So I see what you're saying here and don't take your comments as insulting in the least, Mike. Don't let the insect-eaters around here twist your words into something you didn't actually say.
Old June 30 2009, 07:19 PM   #70
Jeyl
Commodore

Thanks for sharing your opinion Mike. I share your opinion towards the movie as well as it's music. Good job pointing out the repetitiveness of it.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 08:37 PM   #71
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
What's the difference? I bet if you asked, those people might say they really like eating insects.
Plus, insects have a lot of protein. So, you know, they're actually more substantive than Trek XI.
Old June 30 2009, 11:52 PM   #72
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Oh ssnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
Old June 30 2009, 11:52 PM   #73
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Plus, insects have a lot of protein. So, you know, they're actually more substantive than Trek XI.
Well, it isn't like that's especially hard.
Old July 1 2009, 12:27 AM   #74
Penman
Ensign

I always feel there's something fundamentally elitist (in the worst sense of the word) about people who automatically elevate "thoughtful" movies with "ideas" over movies that, to them, are idea-free popcorn "escapist" movies.

There's more skill, artistry, thought, and successful execution of intention in Abrams' Star Trek than in 99% of those dreary indie films about someone's misfit-quirky-misunderstood so-called life and totally predictable coming-of-age moment, or someone's dysfunctional adults dealing with dying/dead parents, et al. Critics unjustifiably elevate those movies' accomplishment because they want to be thought of smart, savvy filmgoers, even though the films themselves are every bit as boring and derivative as the latest Michael Bay abortion.

Well, to make a big show (Spielberg's term) work and work well, as I think Star Trek does (and Spielberg of course often does), is a much, much harder task than making a quiet little film about a coffeehouse barista who finally gets to sing her songs or publish her poems.

So when a big show movie comes along that really works, critics' reflexes are often set: That's why even the positive reviews are so full of "Well, it's just a popcorn movie, but I liked it a lot..." throat-clearings. It's too bad, because ST is a major movie accomplishment.

Taste wars are futile, and I don't want to try to talk anyone out of what they like or hate. I just wish we were more open about our true reactions, and that we didn't feel the need to disparage the taste of others.

(And it's more than a little oogy to congratulate anyone on their hot spouse. Just...oogy.)
Penman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 01:47 AM   #75
mverta
Ensign

Penman wrote: View Post
I always feel there's something fundamentally elitist (in the worst sense of the word) about people who automatically elevate "thoughtful" movies with "ideas" over movies that, to them, are idea-free popcorn "escapist" movies.(And it's more than a little oogy to congratulate anyone on their hot spouse. Just...oogy.)
To point 1: Turns out there's a middle ground, where you can have an event movie that says something. I know it's rare, but it exists. If you feel my little bit here was glib, you're more than welcome to hear my expanded analysis/commentaries on why I felt the film mishandled the most basic elements of dramatic storytelling and character development, recorded after I got home from the screening:

http://mikeverta.com/Posts/ST_Commentary_Pt.1.mp3
http://mikeverta.com/Posts/ST_Commentary_Pt.2.mp3

As for my wife, it's only "oogy" if you view her as a sex object and nothing more. Her "hot" qualities, I assure you, are superceded by her brilliance, compassion, and strength. She's the finest human being I've ever had the privilege of knowing, and that's what makes her hot, to me. Plus, what an ass on that girl. Dayum!

_Mike