Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old June 30 2009, 07:25 PM   #331
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Very exciting!!

I'm curious- unnaturally bright green eyes here, and orange in another segment. Do you think the Vorta wear contacts to change their eye colour maybe?

Good riddance to the jerk who killed Sorabec, glad she was not forgotten! Also that the Vorta is sending groups with *no* Cardassians. Way to make the peoples united, stupid Vorta... esp. after the loyalty of some of the Cardassians outside.

Super curious to how it's going to play out!

I'm also curious about punching with the grain of your scales vs the grain of your opponants- did that not (since it's a Jem'hadar with a high pain threshold) not do more damage to Macet? Are the scales stuck in his skin?
Old June 30 2009, 08:22 PM   #332
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Macet probably DOES have scales embedded in his skin and they may have sliced deep; he'll have to get that treated once this is over, though I doubt in the heat of the battle that he feels the pain as strongly as he will later. Right now, all he cares about is that he landed his blow and accomplished what he intended to accomplish with it. Of course, Cardassian scales in that part of the body are much smaller--so tear away a Jem'Hadar one and you've torn away more area than with Cardassian microscales.

It was Arawil that had the orange eyes. Based on Weyoun's and Kilana's eyes, I've imagined Vorta as having much brighter and unusual eye colors than humans tend to have.

And to both of you--yeah, I LOVED letting the Cardassians get their payback on the traitors!
Old June 30 2009, 08:54 PM   #333
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Oh...sorry for the double-post, but I have one more piece of news to announce! I have just finished writing the battle sequence!

There will be more action to come--but this whole sequence is the most difficult thing I had planned for myself for the entire book, and I am VERY proud to have finished!!!

I am HOPING this means I'll speed up in posting new sections...
Old June 30 2009, 10:38 PM   #334
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Macet probably DOES have scales embedded in his skin and they may have sliced deep; he'll have to get that treated once this is over, though I doubt in the heat of the battle that he feels the pain as strongly as he will later. Right now, all he cares about is that he landed his blow and accomplished what he intended to accomplish with it. Of course, Cardassian scales in that part of the body are much smaller--so tear away a Jem'Hadar one and you've torn away more area than with Cardassian microscales.

It was Arawil that had the orange eyes. Based on Weyoun's and Kilana's eyes, I've imagined Vorta as having much brighter and unusual eye colors than humans tend to have.

And to both of you--yeah, I LOVED letting the Cardassians get their payback on the traitors!
Oh... I always thought they had purple... but that's not to say it couldn't be changed of course- and in the case of your Vorta, they'd use to to throw the Cardassians off too.

Also- eewww.

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Oh...sorry for the double-post, but I have one more piece of news to announce! I have just finished writing the battle sequence!

There will be more action to come--but this whole sequence is the most difficult thing I had planned for myself for the entire book, and I am VERY proud to have finished!!!

I am HOPING this means I'll speed up in posting new sections...
Woo hoo! (especially that last sentence! )
Old July 1 2009, 02:14 AM   #335
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I dunno that they're always purple--but then again, maybe I wasn't looking closely enough! If I do need to edit that, lemme know.

And we'll see! But hopefully clearing this hurdle will help me on writing speed for awhile.
Old July 1 2009, 03:01 AM   #336
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Horrayyyy!! Me likes readin' 'em!! =)
Now I can haz more!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the Vorta we saw on screen all had similar pale purple eyes... at least on DS9. Different shades perhaps.

Off the top of my head (thanks MA!) we've seen close-ups of
Eris
Weyoun
Borath (you can kinda tell, maybe I'll make a better picture than MA's)
Deyos (paler eyes)
Gelnon (also needs a better picture!! Can everyone see?)
Kilana
Yelgrun
Keevan (ugh, I'll find a better one tomorrow... blech)
Luaran

I wouldn't say that means they can't be other colours, especially if it's artificial. (My poor Jem'Hadar have to spend so much time looking at Vorta, you see...)
Old July 1 2009, 06:06 AM   #337
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

You know what's funny about Luaran? I think she's been borrowing makeup from the Cardassians...
Old July 2 2009, 02:46 AM   #338
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Could be worse... she could have borrowed it from the Breen! LOL
Old July 2 2009, 06:35 AM   #339
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

But considering what the Breen might use...it would probably be better for the Cardassians if she did. Maybe she'd manage to kill herself.
Old July 2 2009, 03:37 PM   #340
Marie1
Rear Admiral

OOOO good one!!
Old July 4 2009, 05:35 AM   #341
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Hey, Nerys!

Just so you know, I'm up to page 8.

Great story so far!

I especially like Spiro's joining the ranks of the leaders--and his first experience with kanar!

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 07:20 AM   #342
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thank you so much for reading...I'm glad you're liking it!! :-)
Old July 4 2009, 07:47 PM   #343
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Quick question. I read Betrayel some time back. Isn't Berat the fellow who finds himself hiding in the dark corners of DS9?

And I take it Gul Veruul was the jerk who had Sisko and Co. mumbling over and over, "At leat Dukat could be reasoned with...."

Old July 4 2009, 07:59 PM   #344
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

OK, I'm up to Spiro's prayer before the battle.

Nice touch there. It really reminds me of the soldier in Saving Private Ryan, who always whispered a prayer before making his long-range shots with DEADLY accuracy.

Old July 4 2009, 08:34 PM   #345
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Very glad you liked Spirodopoulos' prayer. Such belief is not common among humans anymore, but to me it seemed very natural to the character.

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Quick question. I read Betrayel some time back. Isn't Berat the fellow who finds himself hiding in the dark corners of DS9?

And I take it Gul Veruul was the jerk who had Sisko and Co. mumbling over and over, "At leat Dukat could be reasoned with...."
Gul Veruul...I'm sure Berat would agree with that description!!!

And yes...Berat is the same guy. At least in the Sigils and Unions continuity--which does accept a slightly retconned version of Betrayal--Berat's rank right before the coup on Cardassia was that of the station's chief engineer, which in my Cardassian rank scheme, put him on equal footing with the station's XO. Which is how I explain Berat being a gul seven years after the DS9 incident.

One thing in the Sigils continuity--I'm sure you've already noticed it, but Berat does get shot again and this time the damage is pretty serious. The difference is he's in a psychologically/emotionally MUCH stronger place. And I really enjoy getting to show that strength that we never really got to see in Betrayal (except towards the very end).

Oh, and in case you're wondering about that, considering the descriptions in the book of how young Berat appeared, in my continuity that's due to the Cardassian lifespan. I actually have a formula for it, to determine the equivalent of a Cardassian's age in human years. So in my version, Berat was actually 38 at the time of Betrayal--but looks like he's 28 because Cardassians don't show their age as quickly, once they reach about 20 years old or so. By the time of The Thirteenth Order, Berat's 44 years old (and still looks like he's 32 1/2 years old).