Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Which pairing do you prefer...
Spock/Uhura 48 66.67%
Spock/Christine Chapel 11 15.28%
someone else - I prefered episodic love interests who weren't part of the crew 2 2.78%
I don't want Spock to have a love interest at all 11 15.28%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 29 2009, 03:20 PM   #31
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Re: Shipper war: Spock/Uhura or Spock/Chapel?

Thanks for the link, Salvor.
Old June 29 2009, 03:29 PM   #32
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

No problem Jeri.
Here's a little something more...

Saldana described the moment she learned about it:
They locked us in the office at Bad Robot, so that we could read the script, and I dropped it and grabbed my Blackberry and kept saying, "This man's crazy! J.J.'s out of his mind. I'm not that aware about Star Trek, but I do know that [Spock and Uhura] never mingled. It's crazy!" But once I finished the script, it just made so much sense. They have the most similar characteristics. I almost feel like she had this admiration for Spock because he was older and sort of like a teacher, and there was this crush or platonic infatuation with someone that's wiser, wittier, handsome and had pointy ears. Why not?
Quinto went on to explain what he felt it meant to baby Spock to have this outlet.
The relationship between Spock and Uhura, that dynamic provides a lot of levity and humor between Kirk and Spock and between Kirk and Uhura. But between Spock and Uhura, I think it actually represents a depth, whereby Uhura is almost a canvas onto whom Spock can project the emotion that he is not able to express himself.
But of course Leonard Nimoy felt left out by Young Spock's conquest:
Frankly, I was extremely jealous of his scenes with Zoe Saldana, and I think it's totally unfair that I never got to do that. I will never forgive the writers and the director, for having put me in this position, to have to be watching that, rather than participating.
http://io9.com/5231407/the-romance-t...r-trek-forever

Old June 29 2009, 03:37 PM   #33
Jeri
Vice Admiral

That's our Nimoy! Thanks.
Old June 29 2009, 05:54 PM   #34
trampledamage
Clone

Nimoy is fantastic!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
Old June 29 2009, 06:27 PM   #35
indranee
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
No problem Jeri.
Here's a little something more...

Saldana described the moment she learned about it:
They locked us in the office at Bad Robot, so that we could read the script, and I dropped it and grabbed my Blackberry and kept saying, "This man's crazy! J.J.'s out of his mind. I'm not that aware about Star Trek, but I do know that [Spock and Uhura] never mingled. It's crazy!" But once I finished the script, it just made so much sense. They have the most similar characteristics. I almost feel like she had this admiration for Spock because he was older and sort of like a teacher, and there was this crush or platonic infatuation with someone that's wiser, wittier, handsome and had pointy ears. Why not?
Quinto went on to explain what he felt it meant to baby Spock to have this outlet.
The relationship between Spock and Uhura, that dynamic provides a lot of levity and humor between Kirk and Spock and between Kirk and Uhura. But between Spock and Uhura, I think it actually represents a depth, whereby Uhura is almost a canvas onto whom Spock can project the emotion that he is not able to express himself.
But of course Leonard Nimoy felt left out by Young Spock's conquest:
Frankly, I was extremely jealous of his scenes with Zoe Saldana, and I think it's totally unfair that I never got to do that. I will never forgive the writers and the director, for having put me in this position, to have to be watching that, rather than participating.
http://io9.com/5231407/the-romance-t...r-trek-forever
@ Len Nimoy!!

oh and thanks Salvor!
Old June 29 2009, 06:51 PM   #36
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

When I saw the thread title "Shipper war..." I was afraid to come in here. (I went through the ENT shipper wars. ) But I'm glad I looked in. First thread I've ventured into regarding Spock/Uhura, and it's interesting to see what folks think.

It worked for me in the film, for the reasons the writers discussed, and I'm hoping it will be followed up on in future films. And this is from a longtime TOS fan, who thought the Spock/Christine unrequited love in that show was quite poignant overall.

Thanks for the links, Salvor. Nimoy's comment was perfect!
Old June 29 2009, 07:34 PM   #37
JustKate
Rear Admiral

See, I am also a long-time fan, but I had and have no patience with all that y-e-a-r-r-r-r-r-r-ning Chapel did. It's just so weak and poor-little-woman-ish. I know that's partly because it was filmed in the 1960s, and that was typical of the time, but now? No. Or at least it shouldn't be. Yes, I know that even now in the 21st century, people still yearn after those they want but cannot have, and people presumably will in the 23rd century, too. But when it's a woman yearning after The Unapproachable Male, it's almost always dull and hackneyed. At least IMO.

So they needed to do something different - and why not Uhura? I admit it jolted me, not because of race but because it was Spock! and Uhura! SpockandUhura! UhuraandSpock! But who says a jolt is a bad thing? Not me, at least not in this case.

If they'd made it Chapel, it I would have hoped to God that we would have had something besides y-e-a-r-r-r-r-r-r-ning.

As for the question of Spock having a relationship at all, I was against it at first, but that was until I realized that we are simply talking about a series of movies here. I mean, I might have found it tedious in a TV show (mostly because most TV, and that includes Trek, is not good at showing long-term romances, and I lose patience with all that break-up-get-back-together stuff that TV is addicted to), but in a movie...it might work very well. It did in this one, for example, although I'm hoping in the next one we get to see more of Uhura as an officer rather than as a love-interest.

Last edited by JustKate; June 29 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 29 2009, 07:39 PM   #38
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
When I saw the thread title "Shipper war..." I was afraid to come in here.
Heh.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old June 29 2009, 09:44 PM   #39
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Heh. If it was a war, it's obvious which side is winning. I am pleasantly surprised by the results of this poll, after all the whining and fuming over Spock/Uhura storyline that I've seen on IMDB and all sorts of other places, with some people crying "OMG what about Chapel?!", others mad over Spock having a love interest at all and being "too emotional", and others shouting that Uhura should not be involved with anyone, especially not Spock, because it apparently "reduces" her, or hurts her dignity (? ). Not to mention those who just throw in slurs and offensive comments about Uhura that I won't bother to repeat. I guess, similar as with people who hate the movie, one can get the wrong impression that there are more people with negative opinions than there really are.

JustKate wrote: View Post
See, I am also a long-time fan, but I had and have no patience with all that y-e-a-r-r-r-r-r-r-ning Chapel did. It's just so weak and poor-little-woman-ish. I know that's partly because it was filmed in the 1960s, and that was typical of the time, but now? No. Or at least it shouldn't be. Yes, I know that even now in the 21st century, people still yearn after those they want but cannot have, and people presumably will in the 23rd century, too. But when it's a woman yearning after The Unapproachable Male, it's almost always dull and hackneyed. At least IMO.
QFT. But I have to say I generally dislike endless storylines about unrequited love, whatever the genders involved.

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Nimoy is fantastic!
And here's more from Nimoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYvHloEVjpw

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old June 29 2009, 09:50 PM   #40
Anika Hanson
Captain

Spock and Uhura are more interesting that Spock and nurse chapel.
Old June 30 2009, 02:25 AM   #41
Jeri
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak, where was that link supposed to go? When I click, it works a long time and finally gives me the main menu. If it was the ENT shipper wars, maybe it's really far back in the dusty basement shelves.
Old June 30 2009, 04:30 AM   #42
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Jeri wrote: View Post
M'Sharak, where was that link supposed to go? When I click, it works a long time and finally gives me the main menu. If it was the ENT shipper wars, maybe it's really far back in the dusty basement shelves.
It was supposed to go to the post in the "Gaila or Uhura" poll thread where the idea of a shipper war thread was first mentioned and I replied with "". Something funny happened with the board a little while ago, though, and now the link gives me a "Firefox can't find that page" error, just like every attempt to navigate did for a while. Not sure if that's going to self-correct or what.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old June 30 2009, 06:01 AM   #43
Vicki
Lieutenant Commander

HELL YES to Spock & Uhura!

I was pretty unspoiled for STXI so Spock/Uhura was a total surprise and I thought it fit perfectly. I loved Uhura following Spock into the turbolift. It works for me big time. Maybe not yet lovers but already aware of a committment to each other.

I think Uhura following Spock into the turbolift only works in the context of a previously acknowledged relationship. And I do believe that relationship already existed. She comforted him but that's not the kicker for me. That was Spock responding by (A) putting his head on her shoulder, and then (B) kissing her.

I've got the shipper gene and I never saw S/C. Chapel's hopeless longing after Spock just annoyed me.

And NO TRIANGLES in the next movie thankyouverymuch. Just the thought makes my teeth hurt.
Old June 30 2009, 06:07 AM   #44
Jeri
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak, I noticed something strange going on. The number of people in the forums is way off. In SF&F, there are normally about 30, and there are like 10. In the TV forum, there are usually 25 or so, and there are 4. And in here, there are usually at least 25, and there are about 4. That is weird. It's been like that for a couple hours, not just because it's late.
Old June 30 2009, 06:17 AM   #45
Aragorn
Admiral

I didn't read the whole thread, so has anyone chimed in with Uhura/Chapel?
Closed Thread