Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28 2009, 05:22 PM   #211
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

The movie's domestic take so far is $201 million and its total worldwide take is $281 million.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 05:24 PM   #212
ExcaliburZeta
Ensign

I saw this in IMAX on Friday with my friends and it looked amazing.

That's about the only positive I can give this movie though. It was otherwise a bloated mess. Everything that made me laugh in the first few minutes was making me groan by the 30th time we had to witness it by the middle part of the movie. The twins having some of the most screentime out of all the Transformers just speaks to the level of mentality Michael Bay was trying to achieve in this film.

I agree with some of the previous posters in saying that there really was no dramatic tension in the movie. I knew Optimus would be resurrected as soon as he died. The Decepticons were completely incompetent and wow did Megatron turn into a total wuss. In the first movie the Autobots were running from him in fright...in this one he gets the shit kicked out of him by literally everybody. And sad to say that even the titular "Fallen" was a total waste of a character.

Leg humping, ball jokes, Simmons' jock strap, Mikaela whining about love in the middle of Egypt...it got old really quickly. And Devastator, who when he transformed made me think a really great scene was coming up, just ends up choking on the twin and getting destroyed by a railgun? Wow. And I loved Jetfire to death (one of the only good parts of the movie), but just pulling out his spark to form Super Optimus..I'd much rather have seen a team-up of the Autobots. That and when the only good battle of the movie was the forest fight didn't really help me get through the 2 1/2 hour movie.

I really enjoyed the first movie, still did when I watched it earlier in the week. Left the theater shaking my head this time. One of my friends said I was being too critical of it since it was a TF movie, but all I know is that I enjoyed the first one and did not with this one.

Better pray to the Prime Spirits (in another WTF scene) that a sequel will be Bay-less.

^^^ Great link too, the Decepticons' incompetence is horrendous especially when they are dealing with the likes of the Twins who can overcome Devastator. Almost made me wish they'd blow up the Earth...

-Calvin and Hobbes
ExcaliburZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 07:30 PM   #213
davejames
Vice Admiral

Now that I think back on it, did we see any interaction between Prime and the other bots at ALL in this movie?

There might have been a brief moment here or there, but for the most part it felt like the only real robot interaction of any kind was between the twins (and a very brief exchange between Ratchet and Ironhide).

I'm not some TF purist who wanted this to be an robot-centered story or anything, but I at least wanted a LITTLE more interaction between the bots this time!
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 07:36 PM   #214
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much of this is Bay's fault, and how much of this was scripted? I'm curious to see a Transformers 3 without Michael Bay. Keep Orci & Kurtzman on board and let's see what they deliver without being pressured by Bay to insert all of this crap that he wants.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 07:45 PM   #215
captcalhoun
Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siGtn_SxKbs&NR=1
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 07:54 PM   #216
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 08:50 PM   #217
TGTheodore
Writer

Place your bets. I say a drop of at least 60-70% box office between weeks ...

--Ted
Old June 28 2009, 09:49 PM   #218
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Yeah, I really don't think this thing will have legs. At all.
Old June 28 2009, 09:56 PM   #219
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Considering it's already made nearly $400 million worldwide, I don't think it really even needs legs at this point.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 10:10 PM   #220
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Daneel wrote: View Post
Considering it's already made nearly $400 million worldwide, I don't think it really even needs legs at this point.
That's the sad part about it.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 10:19 PM   #221
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Indeed. It's already surpassed Star Trek's international total. I haven't seen Transformers: ROTF, but I can't imagine it deserves this much success.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 10:25 PM   #222
FemurBone
Vice Admiral

Daneel wrote: View Post
Indeed. It's already surpassed Star Trek's international total. I haven't seen Transformers: ROTF, but I can't imagine it deserves this much success.
It doesn't, but Transformers is a popular brand so people will go see it out of curiousity. I doubt they'll see it again though.
Old June 28 2009, 10:26 PM   #223
MPH
Rear Admiral

Im supprised its made so much. I like the first film but had no desire to see this in the cinema plus with the awful reviews its been getting.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 11:00 PM   #224
Braxton
Fleet Captain

exodus wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
how can anyone claim there was no story? The Fallen wants the Matrix to destroy the sun, get more energon and create more Decepticons to ravage the galaxy and the Autobots try to stop him.

it's not fucking war and peace!
Exactly.

The point is, kids will love it and it will sell more toys.
And yet, this movie isn't really made for the kids. Look at all the sexual references, cussing, and vulgarity in this movie. Kids will see it but they shouldn't. Hasbro's obviously not trying to aim this at only kids but they should be making it an enjoyabled family movie. FAIL.

Also, Optimus Prime is ruined. He executes a Decepticon! Optimus Prime does not execute. He expressed regret over defeating Megatron in the first movie. Megatron all of a sudden becoming a servant to The Fallen is rather pathetic as well. I'm a fan of many of the Megatron characters so this little bit here really irks me. Megatron is not a 'servant' to anyone.

A good box office take does make a great movie.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 11:48 PM   #225
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Braxton wrote: View Post

Also, Optimus Prime is ruined. He executes a Decepticon! Optimus Prime does not execute. He expressed regret over defeating Megatron in the first movie.
Two problems there

1) Optimus Prime to Dinobots: Dinobots destroy Devastator.

Prime actually ordered Grimlock and the other Dinobots to kill he Constructicons pretty easily

2) Optimus Prime to Megatron: One shall stand and one shall fall.

Prime is telling Megatron only one of them is going to survive this fight.

Also you say Prime felt Regret ?

The only thing I got from that scene was Prime being disgusted by Megatron begging for Mercy.

Megatron all of a sudden becoming a servant to The Fallen is rather pathetic as well. I'm a fan of many of the Megatron characters so this little bit here really irks me. Megatron is not a 'servant' to anyone.
Megatron was Unicron's servant in the 1986 movie, you know "I will give you a new body and new troops to command and nothing you belong to me now."

And don't give me that it was Galvatron stuff he was still the same guy.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote