Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 22 2009, 10:15 PM   #76
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

Saquist wrote: View Post
I can only imagine what Mr. Probert would have done with CAD at his disposal. I knew there was only so much that could be done On 2D. 3D is a great error check for intruding objects.
Mr. Probert makes some comments about working with computers on design in this thread: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=34669

I know some have already talked about design already but I have say my biggest problem with the Excelsior and Enterprise Class starships was the ill placed Power unit in the Spine of the Secondary hull. It was far too vulnerable. (Then again it made for a great sequence)

You chose the best best ship.
I really only have that problem with the "Enterprise Class" (Constitution Refit). The Excelsior has a much beefier neck, allowing the VIC to fit much better, and safely. I am tossing around in my head the idea of doing Excelsior next... though it is in a tight fight with Miranda. First, I'm going to finish Enterprise.
CTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 01:30 AM   #77
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Tonight's Neck Work sucked. I won't even bother posting the results, since I am tossing them out and starting fresh. Maybe I'll have something to show tomorrow.
Old June 23 2009, 03:00 AM   #78
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

CTM wrote: View Post
I am tossing around in my head the idea of doing Excelsior next... though it is in a tight fight with Miranda. First, I'm going to finish Enterprise.
Obviously the choice is yours, but a number of people have made efforts to map out the Miranda, albeit in 2D. The Excelsior is a clean slate, as far as I'm aware, which might make it more fun to work on.
Old June 23 2009, 03:52 AM   #79
Probert
Starfleet Design

FYI - Mr. Probert has actually been known to post on these boards from time to time. I don't know if he has actually looked at this thread, or my implementation of his designs in here, but you can find quite a few of his perspectives on other projects around the franchise if you poke around.
Yup, I've peeked in a few times and it looks like you're doing an amazing job. I would have liked to discuss the cargo area a bit but you were already pretty well into it. Incidentally, you might be interested to know that the turbo tube doors are curved in that area and your rectangular door enclosures are unneeded. As far as my sliding secondary deck and the adjacent lifeboat housings are concerned, those details are for another time... small points considering what all you've accomplished.

Andrew-
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 04:00 AM   #80
Probert
Starfleet Design

Ooops, I just spotted a few cargo deck lifeboats,... nice.
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 12:45 PM   #81
Saquist
Commodore

Has anyone noticed that the Plasma Transfer Conduit to the Engines travels on the highly exposed top deck of the Excelsior's Secondary Hull? I guess there was really noway to avoid it with this design. The aft end it quite thin.

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I am tossing around in my head the idea of doing Excelsior next... though it is in a tight fight with Miranda. First, I'm going to finish Enterprise.
Obviously the choice is yours, but a number of people have made efforts to map out the Miranda, albeit in 2D. The Excelsior is a clean slate, as far as I'm aware, which might make it more fun to work on.

FaltorPan & CTM,
Shocking for me to say but Excelsior deserves it more than Miranda.
CTM, have you learned to do fly by's in CAD yet?

Probert wrote: View Post

Yup, I've peeked in a few times and it looks like you're doing an amazing job. I would have liked to discuss the cargo area a bit but you were already pretty well into it. Incidentally, you might be interested to know that the turbo tube doors are curved in that area and your rectangular door enclosures are unneeded. As far as my sliding secondary deck and the adjacent lifeboat housings are concerned, those details are for another time... small points considering what all you've accomplished.

Andrew-
A pleasure to meet you Mr. Probert.
I've appreciated your work on the franchise.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 01:56 PM   #82
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Probert wrote: View Post

FYI - Mr. Probert has actually been known to post on these boards from time to time. I don't know if he has actually looked at this thread, or my implementation of his designs in here, but you can find quite a few of his perspectives on other projects around the franchise if you poke around.

Andrew-
Thank you for your notice Mr. Probert. This is still very much a work in progress, and I welcome any additional insight you can grant me. The nature of this CAD model is such that literally everything can still be changed quite easily - and many things still will be. For example, the Turbolifts as you pointed out have curved doors in that area. At present, I am simply dropping in a pre-defined model block of the turbolift, tube, and square door assembly. This is mostly so I can keep track of where the lift stations are. I fully intend to go back and swap out these (and any others that require it) with more customized lift stations. I have also been letting the overall fitting of the cargo-bay into the secondary hull knock around my head for a while - and I'm seriously looking at either re-sizing either the deck or the whole secondary hull to make it work. Consider this a "first draft" (although a very detailed first draft), and if you are willing to disabuse me of any of my misconceptions or misinterpretations, I am happy to learn from the process - and make this a more accurate model.

Charles
Old June 23 2009, 02:02 PM   #83
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

FalTorPan wrote: View Post

FaltorPan & CTM,
Shocking for me to say but Excelsior deserves it more than Miranda.
CTM, have you learned to do fly by's in CAD yet?
My reason for doing the Miranda has more to do with having an available "set" for my role-playing group than anything else. I will be using this Enterprise as a set for a refit of the FASA Constitution class when it is finished, and a Miranda would be a good choice as a contemporary. I imagine it would be easier to do than Enterprise, as it is not nearly as complex a fitting problem - nor do we have as many visible interiors of the Miranda's as we do of the Enterprise to have to find a way to fit inside.

The Excelsior is a good choice for the reasons stated, but my role-playing group won't have need of an Excelsior for quite a while. I figure I could throw together a Miranda by using much of the primitives from this model, and then take Cary L Brown's approach to the TOS Enterprise and apply it to the Excelsior.
Old June 23 2009, 02:48 PM   #84
Saquist
Commodore

I was thinking you'd do Miranda because like the movie much was the same in the design. I like modular designs. Makes more sense in Fleets.

I can't wait to see this with a Transparent hull...
I don't know how to do it in Auto CAD 2007 because they've done something different with the materials library but Auto CAD 14 makes it simple application and removal.
Old June 23 2009, 03:48 PM   #85
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking you'd do Miranda because like the movie much was the same in the design. I like modular designs. Makes more sense in Fleets.

I can't wait to see this with a Transparent hull...
I don't know how to do it in Auto CAD 2007 because they've done something different with the materials library but Auto CAD 14 makes it simple application and removal.
I'm building the hull on a separate layer, so I just turn it on or off if I want to see through it.
Old June 23 2009, 06:42 PM   #86
Saquist
Commodore

It's more than that. It's an incredible visual effect. Like looking at the human body with the skin barely visible. CAD has colored transparencies that when added with a light souce make really intresting effects.
Old June 23 2009, 10:08 PM   #87
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Not in my ancient copy :-D
Old June 26 2009, 07:40 PM   #88
Saquist
Commodore

How big is this file sofar?
Old June 27 2009, 03:38 PM   #89
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Just over 98MB
Old June 27 2009, 04:19 PM   #90
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Just over 98MB
Dude, ya need to invest a few $$$ in a new powerhouse machine and new software.

98MB is TINY. That's like a single texture in "modern" terms.

Seriously, though... I'm impressed by what you've done so far, but can't help but think what you could do with better tools.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote