Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 26 2009, 05:40 AM   #151
Tom Servo
Commodore

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

I went to see it last night. I liked the first film well enough and hoped for more of the same. But this film was a mess. Thats not to say I didn't enjoy myself, I did, and the film's VFX shots are incredible. But the rest was....blah. There was way way WAY too much comic relief. The movie almost did not know what it wanted to be. It tried to be so dramatic and intense in some shots, that he comedy bits, especially the physical comedy was completely out of place.

While I realize that this was just a film about giant robots fighting, I would liked this film to have had the stronger story and characterizations of the first film. Unfortunately it did not. I really cannot see how anyone could put this film over a film like Star Trek, and I believe the critics have been right about both films.

A C+/B- from me.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 05:48 AM   #152
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Are you sure it was Ryan? Every source I've seen says it was Turturro.
According to transformerslive.blogspot.com:

Arcee - Grey DeLisle
The Fallen - Tony Todd
Jetfire - Mark Ryan
Mudflap - Reno Wilson
Skids & Wheelie - Tom Kenny
Soundwave & Devastator - Frank Welker
Sideswipe - Andre Sogliuzzo
The Doctor (Scalpel) - John DiCrosta
an ancient Prime - Kevin Michael Richardson

IMDB says that Peter Cullen has a live action role (as "Autobot Hologram") as well as Optimus Prime's voice. But where was this? I didn't see any such hologram in the film.
As is often the case with movies in production or that have just been released, IMDB is wrong.
Old June 26 2009, 05:51 AM   #153
Blue_Trek
Captain

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
I just got back from seeing Transformers 2 with a packed house. I've been tracking various reviews, and the online reaction to the movie for the past several days and the feeling has generally been negative or at best mixed, that I have seen.

So imagine my surprise when the audience I saw it with burst into applause at the end. And I too very much enjoyed the movie, more than the first one perhaps, not sure yet. The big-budget action, the huge epic feel, even some of the silly lowbrow humor came off great in the theater.

Don't believe the reviews, don't believe the haters. The movie has a plot. The Twins are not as bad as some people have complained. And the action is some of the most insane stuff ever put onscreen. I swear, they utilized close to every major weapon system in the US arsenal in that final battle.

But I am still puzzled. Usually the internet/critics can give me a feel for how a movie will come across. But for this particular movie the critical response is really at odds with how much the general audience loves it. Rottentomatoes is usually a good barometer, but is wildly wrong this time. And it confuses me as to why that would be the case, is Michael Bay really that hated?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tran...iews_users.php

68 from users vs 22 from critics, that's a huge gap.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tran...name_order=asc

Star Trek was 95 critics vs 88 users much closer.

So you are correct, my Imax was sold out at 2pm and I couldn't get a seat even. First time I go in the afternoon and can't get a seat. Going next week now.

Here is one part of the answer Megan Fox, her drawing power in a action flick is huge with the boys of all ages.
Old June 26 2009, 06:53 AM   #154
FemurBone
Vice Admiral

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post

Here is one part of the answer Megan Fox, her drawing power in a action flick is huge with the boys of all ages.
I find that hard to believe. No chick is hot enough to make guys shell out 10 bucks to see a movie when they can see hot chicks on the internet for free.

Transformers is a popular brand. The title draws people in. You could put any chick in that role and it would be the same result.
Old June 26 2009, 02:17 PM   #155
Blue_Trek
Captain

FemurBone wrote: View Post
Blue_Trek wrote: View Post

I find that hard to believe. No chick is hot enough to make guys shell out 10 bucks to see a movie when they can see hot chicks on the internet for free.

Transformers is a popular brand. The title draws people in. You could put any chick in that role and it would be the same result.
I agree, but as I said it's only ONE PART of the draw. The comments on the internet about Megan Fox show that it is a variable, maybe smaller than I thought, as you make a good point.
Old June 26 2009, 02:56 PM   #156
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Below Average

Bad plot, though it had a lot of funny moments which is what got it bumped up from Poor.
Old June 26 2009, 03:23 PM   #157
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I kept an eye out for this. So basically Devastator's compontents are simply several vehicles and not actual decepticons? Does the movie contradict what this movie poster says?
I wouldn't say that. Think of the Constructicons as a "model" of Transformer, much in the same vein as the classic "Seekers" Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp were three identical models except for colors. Each Constructicon could transform into an individual robot and potentially become part of Devastator. On the ship, Mixmaster, Long Haul and I think Rampage were shown transforming to robot mode and then diving into the water. The same exact model of Constructicons were shown later combining into Devastator, it's just that we didn't see them go into robot mode first.

I thought the Devastator transformation was one of the most amazing parts of the film from an effects perspective. You really got a sense of the character's power and scale, and he looked like a big, brutal ape which works for a character named "Devastator". I particularly liked the way his head formed, and how he had to drag it off the floor, very cool.
Old June 26 2009, 03:33 PM   #158
Agent Richard07
Retired

God Magnus wrote: View Post
Think of the Constructicons as a "model" of Transformer, much in the same vein as the classic "Seekers" Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp were three identical models except for colors. Each Constructicon could transform into an individual robot and potentially become part of Devastator. On the ship, Mixmaster, Long Haul and I think Rampage were shown transforming to robot mode and then diving into the water. The same exact model of Constructicons were shown later combining into Devastator, it's just that we didn't see them go into robot mode first.
So the constructicons who didn't form part of this particular Devastator could have since they were the same model as the ones who did? That makes more sense, though I didn't notice multiple models of each constructicon.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 05:50 PM   #159
exodus
Fleet Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
how can anyone claim there was no story? The Fallen wants the Matrix to destroy the sun, get more energon and create more Decepticons to ravage the galaxy and the Autobots try to stop him.

it's not fucking war and peace!
Exactly.

The point is, kids will love it and it will sell more toys.
Old June 26 2009, 06:22 PM   #160
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
how can anyone claim there was no story? The Fallen wants the Matrix to destroy the sun, get more energon and create more Decepticons to ravage the galaxy and the Autobots try to stop him.

Exactly.

And thus the true meaning of Transformers is revealed.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 07:26 PM   #161
Ethros
Vice Admiral

So, Transformers 2: The Search For More Money

Just for my 2 cents on Megan Fox... I just don't see the big appeal. She's not unattractive, yet not attractive either. She just kinda exists, weird.
I think it's because her charatcer, esp in the first film, is this stupid "popular" up-her-own-arse bitch, and I don't find that quality remotely appealing in women.
Plus it looks like the puts her makeup on with a trowel
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 07:35 PM   #162
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Exactly.

It's a fact that Hasbro has never tried to hide.
Old June 26 2009, 07:43 PM   #163
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Exactly.

It's a fact that Hasbro has never tried to hide.
Sadly you wouldn't think that from listening to the Transformers Fanatics.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 08:12 PM   #164
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntV5hLnVM0
Old June 26 2009, 08:15 PM   #165
Teelie
Vice Admiral

I liked it, not loved it. There were holes big enough to drive that Destructicon monstrosity through but I'm also not expecting Oscar material or something with a deep, compelling storyline.

Fools who look for that are just that, fools. It's a popcorn summer action flick. These are not known for having plot, storylines, character development or intelligence in abundance. If you want to go watch robots fight, lots of explosions and crude jokes, it'll entertain you. Otherwise prepare for disappointment.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote