Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2009, 03:29 AM   #2386
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Consider: one who likes something is more likely to forgive or ignore any potential flaws. One who dislikes something is likely to point out any potential flaws.

Just sayin.'
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:38 AM   #2387
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

about why leave kirk on the planet..

hmm not only was spock not working on all cylinders but he may have
been afraid kirk would just escape from the brig.

As for Kirk . . . what is this guy’s problem? Confronting the Captain on the Bridge? Kirk would have never tolerated any officer or crewman doing the same to him.
not only was this a younger kirk looking at trying to do something before earth is destoryed we actually see conflict on the bridge during tos..
especially between bones and kirk.

And after meeting Old Spock, the latter reveals his knowledge of a nearby Starbase.
my thought is that he pulled that out of his mindmeld with Kirk. Kirk knew the fact, Spock had not... before the mindmeld.
uh where did he get the thing that nero marrooned spock two days before the destruction of vulcan.
and even if he did leave him a couple of days before i am pretty sure nero would make sure spock was no where near the outpost.
frankly one dosnt walk very fast through the snowy waste like that planet.
as to how spock knew about it (he tells young kirk he was headed toward it) spock may have seen it as they flew around the planet before he was left.
or he may have just remembered it.

oh..

And could someone please tell me why the cadets assigned aboard the Enterprise were wearing the same uniforms as the regular crew . . . instead of cadet uniforms? They had not graduated from the Academy.
seriously how much did you watch tos or the movies based on it.
cadets were supposed to have served aboard a ship while still a cadet.
they wore a uniform similar to other crew while doing so if they were at a certain level in the academy.

we see this with saavik in khan.
Old June 25 2009, 05:00 PM   #2388
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly, in the novelization, Spock did note that Kirk would likely escape from the brig if he put him there, so he marooned him instead. Spock Prime also had been on Delta Vega for two weeks, and had visited the base on DV multiple times (though somehow hadn't met up with Scotty. I didn't understand that when I read it, either... Why wouldn't Spock look to warn the federation? Unless communications were down, at the base.)

I think I need to find the novel and re-read that part. Anyone else read it? Help?
Toruika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 05:50 PM   #2389
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Toruika wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, in the novelization, Spock did note that Kirk would likely escape from the brig if he put him there,
Wow, another plothole. Not only does Starfleet have no security to speak of, they can't build any brigs worth their shit.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 05:56 PM   #2390
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, in the novelization, Spock did note that Kirk would likely escape from the brig if he put him there,
Wow, another plothole. Not only does Starfleet have no security to speak of, they can't build any brigs worth their shit.
Nope thats been there since Star Trek V with the easily broken back wall and no guards on duty, oh and TOS with Gary 7 not being properly searched to make sure he didn't have a device for breaking the force field generator.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 06:12 PM   #2391
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Nope thats been there since Star Trek V with the easily broken back wall and no guards on duty
The back wall was exploded outward by help from outside, and nobody was on duty because everyone was under Sybok's spell. Escaping on one's own was considered rather impossible.

, oh and TOS with Gary 7 not being properly searched to make sure he didn't have a device for breaking the force field generator.
Which a. has got nothing to do with the brig, and b. isn't their fault because Gary has access to disguised super technology of an advanced alien race.
Old June 26 2009, 12:22 AM   #2392
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

wow that describes some tos episodes.

i mean it isnt like no one ever broke out of the brig in a tos episode.
or even say over powered a security guard on the way to the sickbay.

but what ever version this is kirk and kirk was constantly breaking out of places.
Old June 26 2009, 12:41 PM   #2393
anthooz
Cadet

We must restore vulcan. Vulcan was at the core of Gene Roddenberry's vision.
www.restorevulcan.com

Together we can have an action film that also respects the vision of the past.

Live long and prosper

Anthony
anthooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 04:04 PM   #2394
indranee
Vice Admiral

not gonna happen.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 04:07 PM   #2395
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

anthooz wrote: View Post
We must restore vulcan. Vulcan was at the core of Gene Roddenberry's vision.
www.restorevulcan.com

Live long and prosper

Anthony
Trek fans do love their reset button, don't they. No matter how much they whine about it being overused.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 05:09 PM   #2396
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Salvor, you speak as if you're not one...
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 09:26 PM   #2397
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Salvor, you speak as if you're not one...
The fans are by no means a united entity. There are all sorts of opinions and divided factions within it.

So yes, I am a fan of Star Trek (the franchise) by all means but there are many times where I don't feel like I am a part or want to be considered part of a certain section of fandom.

Or to be more precise, in this case I am not part of the Trek fans that have been calling for a reset button as far as the destruction of Vulcan is concerned.
For better or worse, they made a decision to destroy it, they should stick with it and its consequences.

I hope I made clear what I really meant.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2009, 08:06 AM   #2398
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

anthooz wrote: View Post
We must restore vulcan.
Nope. Reset buttons would have completely castrated all balls that the franchise's future would have. If something brand-spanking new resorts to undoing any "damage" it did, then what's the point? We already know how everything is going to end anyways.

Vulcan was at the core of Gene Roddenberry's vision.
Yep. The planet that showed up once during TOS was at the core of Roddenberry's vision. If they were to have deleted Vulcan, we would be without one, maybe two episodes and a bunch of references. I think we could manage.

Live long and prosper

Anthony
How is this disrespecting the vision of the past? The fact that they were willing to go off and do their own thing? Hell, I'll bet that they did the whole "alternate timeline" thing for the sole purpose of letting the fans know that they can go to sleep at night with the knowledge that their favorite universe is still intact somewhere. I'm fine with Amanda being dead, I'm fine with Vulcan being gone, i'm fine with two Spocks, and I would be ok if there was more major changes in the next movie. I nominate the Russian wizz-kid, Ensign Chirpov ( ) for the next casualty.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2009, 12:43 PM   #2399
3D Master
Rear Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Hell, I'll bet that they did the whole "alternate timeline" thing for the sole purpose of letting the fans know that they can go to sleep at night with the knowledge that their favorite universe is still intact somewhere. I'm fine with Amanda being dead, I'm fine with Vulcan being gone, i'm fine with two Spocks, and I would be ok if there was more major changes in the next movie. I nominate the Russian wizz-kid, Ensign Chirpov ( ) for the next casualty.
Except that they didn't do the whole "alternate reality" thing, they did indeed do an "alternate timeline" thing, aka, the old timeline is gone, destroyed, changed, now the alternate timeline exists; as all time travel stories in Star Trek did before. This is what Spock described - a changed timeline, the old one being gone and destroyed.

Uhura then just pulls the term "alternate reality" out of her ass that has nothing to do with anything that Spock just said, and for some reason Spock just agrees with her.
Old June 27 2009, 04:07 PM   #2400
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Hell, I'll bet that they did the whole "alternate timeline" thing for the sole purpose of letting the fans know that they can go to sleep at night with the knowledge that their favorite universe is still intact somewhere. I'm fine with Amanda being dead, I'm fine with Vulcan being gone, i'm fine with two Spocks, and I would be ok if there was more major changes in the next movie. I nominate the Russian wizz-kid, Ensign Chirpov ( ) for the next casualty.
Except that they didn't do the whole "alternate reality" thing, they did indeed do an "alternate timeline" thing, aka, the old timeline is gone, destroyed, changed, now the alternate timeline exists;
Wrong.
as all time travel stories in Star Trek did before.
Wrong again.
This is what Spock described - a changed timeline, the old one being gone and destroyed.
And wrong yet again.

Uhura then just pulls the term "alternate reality" out of her ass that has nothing to do with anything that Spock just said, and for some reason Spock just agrees with her.
He agrees with her because that is what happened.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote