RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 438
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 25 2009, 09:03 PM   #31
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Re: Calling all beer aficionados

Trappist Westvleteren 12 - 24 bottles from ebay for about $350. Type: Belgium Quadrupel. Alcohol content: 10.2%

It certainly deserves the title of the best beer in the world.

Pour a bit into a chalice. The head was very dense and creamy. The taste is very very rich and malty. There are variety of fruits, spices, dark chocolate and caramel malt. Very much reminded me of St. Bernardus 12 (another world class Belgium Quadrupel) but more urbane.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 09:30 PM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

JKTim wrote: View Post

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Definitely possible. I'm not even sure it's in Illinois yet. I've only ever had it in Iowa.
Boulevard Wheat is only just now starting to make inroads from Missouri.
Ah yes. Missouri was the other place I had it. It needs to get a move on. I want to be able to buy it.
Old June 25 2009, 10:37 PM   #33
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Never trust a beer you can see through or water that you cannot.
Old June 25 2009, 11:00 PM   #34
Kochi
Lieutenant Commander

The Most Interesting Man In the World is right. Dos Equis is my favorite. Not too light. Drink it in a glass for the full effect. Nice aroma.
Pacifico is good also. But Dos Equis is better for summer.
Old June 26 2009, 02:00 AM   #35
Terengo
Captain

I'm currently enjoying Fat Tire Skinny Dip, which is a light yet rich summer brew. I like most of the Schlafly Brewery products, but I don't know how far from St. Louis that reaches.

I used to like Busch Select (yeah, Busch - wanna make something of it?), which was a nice uncomplicated beer, but I don't drink Busch products any more. I doubt if my protest is even the tiniest blip in InBev's revenue stream, but sometimes you need to stand on principle.
Old June 26 2009, 02:57 AM   #36
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Admiral Jarok wrote: View Post
I'd recommend a Mexican beer called Pacifico. Really good taste to it, and it's light enough for any hot summer. This is a pretty good review of the beer.
Don't listen to "the most interesting man in the world", this cerveza is better!

And since your first question just said to post a beer I like and describe, I'll go with my favorite beer: Guinness! Need I say more?
Yeah, you probably don't need to say more with Guinness. It's better on tap and better over the pond. But, aside from that, most people know what it tastes like and it's definitely enjoyable.
Old June 26 2009, 04:10 AM   #37
Maestro
Vice Admiral

JKTim wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
New Glarus Spotted Cow

You'll probably be hard pressed to find it out East, but it's damn good year round.
New Glarus does not distribute outside the state of Wisconsin.
It's lack of distribution does not reduce its goodness, nor my love for it.
Old June 26 2009, 04:16 AM   #38
Admiral Jarok
Commander

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Admiral Jarok wrote: View Post
I'd recommend a Mexican beer called Pacifico. Really good taste to it, and it's light enough for any hot summer. This is a pretty good review of the beer.
Don't listen to "the most interesting man in the world", this cerveza is better!

And since your first question just said to post a beer I like and describe, I'll go with my favorite beer: Guinness! Need I say more?
Yeah, you probably don't need to say more with Guinness. It's better on tap and better over the pond. But, aside from that, most people know what it tastes like and it's definitely enjoyable.
It's amazing how much better it is over the pond. I went to London several years back, and I was surprised (in hindsight, I shouldn't have been) at how much better it tasted. Sure it's great in the states, but I still long for that UK Guinness
Old June 26 2009, 04:19 AM   #39
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I honestly didn't think it was the same beer at first.
Old June 26 2009, 04:29 AM   #40
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yeah, this sounds like the kind of thread posted by a drunk guy, but I'm actually sober right now. Which, when you think about it, is kinda why I'm starting the thread.

Last year, I decided to become a beer connoisseur of sorts (no, NOT a drunk). The goal was to try a different type of beer every week and learn the differences between them so I could recommend them to different people or buy a specific one when I was in a certain mood. Unfortunately, about two months into this experiment, I ran out of money and had to resort to crappy macrobrews (although not all macrobrews are bad, since I am a fan of Yuengling).

Now here's where all you beer lovers come in. My suggestion is to post a beer that you like and describe it (is it a bitter hoppy beer, is it light, etc) and when the best time to drink it is. I will then compile this list and drink the beers that catch my eye.

There's also a second challenge. I'm looking for a good summer beer. By that, I mean something light and drinkable (Budweiser has the right idea about the word "drinkability", they were just wrong that it applied to them). It shouldn't taste like water, though (or have a general "bad" taste like Bud). Ideally, it should actually be quite flavorful (the point here is that if you say Guinness you lose).

And with that, I'll start the topic:

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA:
A pretty hoppy beer (the IBU is something like 60). It has a good flavor. Definitely a beer for those who love hops. Not something you're supposed to drink in mass quantities, but to sit back and enjoy or drink with food.

This is my review of Stone Imperial Russian Stout..Granted I wrote it when I was 19 years old . Not only is Stone a great brewery but this is an incredible beer.

"This is a true imperial stout, drinks like velvet and pours like a three course mean in a class with a perfectly retained, foamy light brown head. Aroma is one of chocolate and dark fruits, alcohol is present but not overpowering. A smooth and oily mouthfeel and a flavor of perfect balance for a 10.8% abv imperial. One of the biggest weakness in these high abbreviation brews is over sweetness and a lot of residual sugar, that Stone brewery seems to have mastered and counterbalanced with the appropriate dryness of a Guinness Extra Stout and the sweetness of A Mackeson XXX delightfully merged into near perfection. Excellent brew."

I don't branch out as much these days. I've tried over 600 different kinds of beer and I'll need some discretionary spending money before I resume that hobby.
Danoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 06:03 AM   #41
Anthony Sabre
Commodore

My favorite so far is Belhaven Scottish Ale. Deep, rich and smooth taste. Perfect for unwinding after a long day at work. I'd drink it during the spring or summer.
Anthony Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 06:15 AM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome

I ordered a Boulevard Wheat tonight at Buffalo Wild Wings (apparently it is in fact available in Illinois now), but they gave me something else instead. I'm pretty sure it was a Widmer, and I just didn't like it. Too hoppy. I'm just not a fan of hops.
Old June 26 2009, 11:26 AM   #43
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Anthony Sabre wrote: View Post
My favorite so far is Belhaven Scottish Ale. Deep, rich and smooth taste. Perfect for unwinding after a long day at work. I'd drink it during the spring or summer.
I find it too heavy for summer in the West Coast area. Leinies are available here, though, and they are good-if a little potent.

I think a summer brew should lack fruit(usually) until I decide it needs a piece on top, like a slice of orange floating on a solid wheat.

Dos Equis is OK, but too heavy to BBQ to. I like something lighter. Pacifico is my beer of choice in July.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 02:27 PM   #44
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

TJinLOCA wrote: View Post
When I lived back east, my favorite was Upper Canada Lager. Not heavy at all, and really smooth and tasty (and apparently they're making a "Light" version of it now too, although I generally disdain light beers.) And I just discovered they make a Pale Ale now ... I'll have to try it!
Upper Canada is a good brewer, I like their stuff. My favourite right now, though, has to be Sam Adams Boston Lager. It's got a very rich flavour, malty and with hints of wood and smoke. Very tasty and very drinkable at the same time.

As for good summer beers, I enjoy both Ste-Ambroise Pale Ale and Creemore Springs Lager. Both are nice light, crisp beers, perfect for a BBQ. I also enjoy Rickard's White, which is pretty good for a macrobrew (and widely available on patios ).