MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2009, 08:00 PM   #136
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Tuln wrote: View Post
I wnet to see it with the need to leave the theater often (nature wasn't cooperating with me) but there were some things that puzzled me. First off I'm a huge fan of the franchise.

1. Megatron was a tank, but somehow he could still rocket around the city?
2. How exactly did the Matrix reform?
3. How does one activate a shard of the alspark to get it to bring machines to life?
1. cuz he's a flying tank or a triple changer
2. magic
3. bang it hard apparently. given the shard banged into the table and activated the Kitchenicons and banged into Jetfire and reactivated him. and when Sam bumped the Cube in 1 it activated Dispensor, Xboxatron and the car steering wheel.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:18 PM   #137
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

2. How exactly did the Matrix reform?
2. Remember the scene where Shia crossed over briefly to some Transformer version of heaven and met the 7 of the original Primes? They basically gave Shia their blessings and told him that it's his destiny to reactivate prime. I found the scene worth of a chuckle because I would never expect a moment of divine/spiritual interventation in a Michael Bay film.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:20 PM   #138
captcalhoun
Admiral

six. The Fallen was the seventh Prime.

you know, if Megatron's Prime's bro, that means Megatron's a Prime.

Megatron Prime...

it just sounds wrong...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:24 PM   #139
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I wnet to see it with the need to leave the theater often (nature wasn't cooperating with me) but there were some things that puzzled me. First off I'm a huge fan of the franchise.

1. Megatron was a tank, but somehow he could still rocket around the city?
Well in the cartoon in the 80s he turned into a gun and could fly.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 10:32 PM   #140
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Above Average. It wasn't the train-wreck I was expecting based on all the reviews and negative comments.

- It wasn't boring, it was fun and entertaining.

- It wasn't too long. I don't mind that it was 2.5 hours. I'm tired of these 70 minute popcorn flicks. I like a movie with a decent length. I hope the complaints don't scare the studio into making the next one too short.

- Great use of the human characters from the first movie. Well done. I especially loved Shia's and Turturro's performances. Shia is good with the wise cracks as always and did pretty well with that scene in class where he was on mental overload.

- The Fallen, as a villain, turned out to be better than I expected. I was surprised that Megatron was taking orders though.

- The whole 7 Primes thing is fascinating. Now I find myself curious and wanting names.

- The humor isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The only really bad line that sticks in my head was when Optimus Prime said "Pull over!" to that big wheeled decepticon at the beginning. That was lame. That bit with Devastator's balls was lame and unfunny too, but I had to laugh, because it was lame and unfunny. At least that's my excuse for laughing.

- When the movie started, I couldn't follow what was going on. The autobots were too busy-looking and the fight shots were so quick that everything looked like a mish-mash of parts on screen. I got used to it though and had no problem after that.

- That scene in the museum would have been a nice opportunity to introduce the Arialbots. They even had the concord and everything.

- When I saw the shuttle, I thought of Astrotrain.

- Having a decepticon that could mimic a human form was pretty impressive. I wonder if she was "fully functional". Hey you thought it too. Built in fleshlight perhaps? OK, I 'll stop now.

- I was impresed with how they updated Soundwave and his cassette.

- Even if it was just a conspiracy theory, I liked the idea of autobots living on Earth decades ago as classic vehicles.

Stuff I didn't like...

- Poor use of the autobots including the classic ones. That's been talked about at length already.

- Looks like they ignored the fact that Bumblebee got his voice back in the first movie.

- The movie made it seem like the public didn't know about robots from outerspace living among them.

- Didn't like Arcee's unicyle robot mode.

- Megatron's voice was unimpressive.

- I liked Devastator's ape-like movements, but he was too busy. At times, you couldn't even make out that he was a robot or anything in particular for that matter.

- The final battle seemed to be nothing but a lot of random explosions and running.

- In the first movie, I could buy that Sam could have a girlfriend that looked like Megan Fox, because it actually isn't uncommon for geeky/average joe's to have hot girlfriends these days, but this time it didn't ring true. Maybe it's because Megan Fox's persona is so exposed and well known in the media that I can't help but think of her instead of her character. In other words, I couldn't see Sam Witwicky with Megan Fox.

That's all I can think of for now.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 10:40 PM   #141
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
because it actually isn't uncommon for geeky/average joe's to have hot girlfriends these days
Is it?
Jeez... I guess mine got lost in the mail
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 10:43 PM   #142
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Ethros wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
because it actually isn't uncommon for geeky/average joe's to have hot girlfriends these days
Is it?
Jeez... I guess mine got lost in the mail
Yours too? Royal Mail really sucks.
Old June 25 2009, 10:49 PM   #143
davejames
Vice Admiral

Having a hot girlfriend is one thing, but I seriously doubt someone like Fox's character would be into someone like Shia's. At least not for very long. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 11:00 PM   #144
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ Yeah, them being together for 2 years was probably part of it.

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I really loved Shia's parents. Also hope there's more Prime in this one. I love me some Optimus.
Optimus Prime is always good. Sam's mother was annoying.

Jono wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Wow, seeing that size scale makes me wonder what will happen if they ever bring Metroplex or Trypticon into this.
Or Omega Supreme. I really hope he is in the next movie (if there is one).
So do I.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Devastator is not the combiner we all know from G1. He's the combined form of six or seven construction vehicles, true, but Long Haul, Rampage et al are seperate from him, literally. He's after Simmonds whilst the others are scrapping with the 'bots.
I kept an eye out for this. So basically Devastator's compontents are simply several vehicles and not actual decepticons? Does the movie contradict what this movie poster says?

Ethros wrote: View Post
...ending with a Linkin Park song...
I was hoping they'd use one of these...

Theme #1
Theme #2

Or maybe they did. I left before the credits finished.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 11:52 PM   #145
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Sam's mother was fucking annoying. The father at least had some depth and managed to tone it down a little.

- Great use of the human characters from the first movie. Well done. I especially loved Shia's and Turturro's performances. Shia is good with the wise cracks as always and did pretty well with that scene in class where he was on mental overload.
Agreed. Turturro was a lot of fun although I really could have done without that shot of him in a thong. *shudders*
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 12:29 AM   #146
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Green Day's song "21 Guns" must have been used about 20 times throughout the film
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2009, 01:44 AM   #147
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Aragorn wrote: View Post
So how is John Turturro with Jetfire's voice.
Mark Ryan voices Jetfire, the same guy who does Bumblebee.
Old June 26 2009, 02:53 AM   #148
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Sam's mother was fucking annoying. The father at least had some depth and managed to tone it down a little.
I liked Sam's parents in both films, although I could have done without the "reefer brownie" scene. I know the movie is rated PG-13, but the movie *is* a big-budget toy commercial.
Old June 26 2009, 03:19 AM   #149
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
So how is John Turturro with Jetfire's voice.
Mark Ryan voices Jetfire, the same guy who does Bumblebee.
Are you sure it was Ryan? Every source I've seen says it was Turturro.

Here's my big question, though:

IMDB says that Peter Cullen has a live action role (as "Autobot Hologram") as well as Optimus Prime's voice. But where was this? I didn't see any such hologram in the film.
Old June 26 2009, 04:33 AM   #150
Caliburn24
Commodore

I just got back from seeing Transformers 2 with a packed house. I've been tracking various reviews, and the online reaction to the movie for the past several days and the feeling has generally been negative or at best mixed, that I have seen.

So imagine my surprise when the audience I saw it with burst into applause at the end. And I too very much enjoyed the movie, more than the first one perhaps, not sure yet. The big-budget action, the huge epic feel, even some of the silly lowbrow humor came off great in the theater.

Don't believe the reviews, don't believe the haters. The movie has a plot. The Twins are not as bad as some people have complained. And the action is some of the most insane stuff ever put onscreen. I swear, they utilized close to every major weapon system in the US arsenal in that final battle.

But I am still puzzled. Usually the internet/critics can give me a feel for how a movie will come across. But for this particular movie the critical response is really at odds with how much the general audience loves it. Rottentomatoes is usually a good barometer, but is wildly wrong this time. And it confuses me as to why that would be the case, is Michael Bay really that hated?
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote