Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 23 2009, 09:21 PM   #301
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official Welcome Thread

Hello, I'm Trekgirl, otherwise known as Randi. I've been a Trekkie (yes, trekkie, not trekker) since The Original Series. I've never really known what the difference between Trekkie and Trekker was, but when anyone asks the mouth says Trekkie. Go figure.
I've watched (and now own) all the serieses (is that a word?) although, ashamedly, i gave up on Enterprise. (Don't worry, i've already beaten myself with a painstick for that one.)
However, when asked which is my favorite i always have to say TOS. Shatner was (and still is, thank heavens) God. He may be a bit oversized now, but he is still God.
I've lurked here for a while now and it was the new movie that finally got me to de-cloak. I feel the need to "DISCUSS" and there arent many people in my real world to do that with.
I loved JJ's movie, i loved the cast and i swear to The Great Bird seeing it (three times so far) has made me feel younger and more energized than i have in a long time.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to introduce myself and thank you for giving me a place to 'tawk' with other fans!!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 09:32 PM   #302
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
I've remained amazingly spoiler-free so far. All I know is two of the actors involved in the movie and I saw the first trailer way back when.

I'm going to see it tonight at a local cinema. They're showing it tonight in the English original, yay!

I'll look forward to being able to read this forum after I get back.

At the risk of sounding extremely stupid...does this mean that other countries show the movie dubbed? I find this "fascinating". (OUCH!) And surprising! I never knew!
Old June 23 2009, 09:44 PM   #303
indranee
Vice Admiral

not all of them dub it. it depends.

welcome to the forum, btw.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 12:34 AM   #304
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to post here.

I was raised on TOS. We went to see all the movies, and we'd religiously watch TNG when it was out. I never quite got into DS9 (as I really liked Babylon 5 at the time), and Voyager totally lost me. I went to see Generations and First Contact, but after that, I just wasn't as into Trek as I once was. So I missed out on Enterprise, though now, I'm thinking I might have to go back and watch that one.

I was excited about the Star Trek movie, partially because of casting (especially ZQ for Spock, since I'm a Heroes fan). I'd say I love TOS and TNG about the same: hard for me to choose. The new movie has rekindled my interest, and I've been catching TOS when I can. I adore some of the montages put together and placed on Youtube. Lots of fun there.

It's a big thing for me to see the same movie twice. I hadn't done that in a long time... And I did that with Madea Goes To Jail, because it was so funny and yet so deep. So for me to be going to see ST2009 tonight for the 4th time is pretty big!! But I would have seen it more, had I the opportunity. Tonight's the first night I'm driving since I messed up my ankle, in early May.

I've been enjoying the threads, here, and I'm grateful for how welcoming everyone's been, too. Thanks, y'all!
Toruika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:05 AM   #305
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Welcome, new people!

trekgirl wrote: View Post

I'm going to see it tonight at a local cinema. They're showing it tonight in the English original, yay!

At the risk of sounding extremely stupid...does this mean that other countries show the movie dubbed? I find this "fascinating". (OUCH!) And surprising! I never knew!
indranee wrote: View Post
Yeah, it varies by country. In Germany, for example, where Iasius lives, the people who did the German-speaking voices for some Trek series gained a certain celebrity status of their own and make convention appearances.

I think I recall someone saying about the Italian dub for one of the later Star Trek trailers that they recognized some of the voices as being those of popular dubbing actors.
Old June 25 2009, 05:08 PM   #306
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Welcome, new people!

trekgirl wrote: View Post

indranee wrote: View Post
Yeah, it varies by country. In Germany, for example, where Iasius lives, the people who did the German-speaking voices for some Trek series gained a certain celebrity status of their own and make convention appearances.

I think I recall someone saying about the Italian dub for one of the later Star Trek trailers that they recognized some of the voices as being those of popular dubbing actors.
I had no idea! Pretty funny that the dubbers gained their own popularity/notoriety~ Thanks for answering my question~
Old June 25 2009, 10:22 PM   #307
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Welcome trekgril and Toruika! Go forth, post, and be merry.
Old June 26 2009, 01:25 AM   #308
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

An Officer wrote: View Post
Welcome trekgril and Toruika! Go forth, post, and be merry.
Thanks! Have done and will do! *refrains from cheesy hobbit joke*
Toruika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 04:59 AM   #309
gimpy117
Commander

Hello I'm Gimpy117

Otherwise Known as Dylan

I'm going to be attending Western Michigan University This fall. I grew up with Voyager and have liked trek ever since. I am extremely happy to see trek back. I've always sorta been a closet fan however, I can't really say I'm a trekkie, rather I'm a good fan.

I live in wonderful Traverse City, MI, and cherry fest starts Sunday oh geez it's gonna get crazy here
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 06:53 AM   #310
M'Sharak

gimpy117 wrote: View Post
I've always sorta been a closet fan however, I can't really say I'm a trekkie, rather I'm a good fan.
We take all kinds.
Old July 3 2009, 06:47 PM   #311
trampledamage
Clone

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
gimpy117 wrote: View Post
I've always sorta been a closet fan however, I can't really say I'm a trekkie, rather I'm a good fan.
We take all kinds.
That they do - hey, they even let me in

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 04:09 AM   #312
Mrs_Whatsit
Commander

Hi, I'm Mrs_Whatsit. I've been a Trek fan since the original run of TOS in the 60s, and have faithfully watched and enjoyed every series and movie since then. It's been a huge part of my life; Mr_Whatsit and I bonded over our shared love of Star Trek on our first date, and he even asked me to marry him while we were watching a TNG episode (although neither of us can remember anymore which episode it was).

I loved, loved, LOVED the new movie, and I found this place while trolling the Internet for more information. I've already posted a few times in the Karl Urban-related threads (Dr. McCoy has always been my favorite, and Mr. Urban has revitalized that particular crush in a BIG way ) and a couple of other threads as well, but I thought it was time I said hi to everyone in general. So hello, and thanks to all who have been so friendly and welcoming!
Mrs_Whatsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 03:39 AM   #313
Chrisisall
Commodore

Hi, I'm from the "everything important I know I learned from Star Trek" place.
Love Kung-fu & Firefly & Dark Angel as well.
Toodles.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 09:35 PM   #314
Rory B. Bellows
Cadet

Greetings, I am known as Rory B. Bellows. I used to read this site a lot, but I've been away for several years! I see lots of changes here! Anyway, I'm glad to be back and look forward to you all thinking that I'm an idiot-and being correct
Rory B. Bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 11:07 PM   #315
M'Sharak

Welcome, new people!