Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 25 2009, 05:55 PM   #31
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Racial Caricatures

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Cky wrote: View Post
I would have said they sounded more like rednecks than the sterotyped black person. Nobody complained about Jazz in the first film.

And we're forgetting the fundamental flaw in this arguement - THEY ARE ROBOTS. Not to mention they studied Earth's languages through the World Wide Web. I'm surprised none of them talked in lulz.
The fact that he was an alien never stopped the Jar Jar complaints.
And yet the heads of the Trade Federation got a pass.
Is it cos they aint black?
Old June 25 2009, 07:28 PM   #32
davejames
Vice Admiral

Mark de Vries wrote: View Post
Besides, is it okay if they were based on rednecks and not if they were based on black people? Still stereotyping...
No offense, but I've never understood this argument. Considering their much more tragic history in this country, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that we SHOULD be a lot more sensitive to them over other groups.

I always have to cringe everytime I hear some white dude complain about how rough we have it in this country.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 07:59 PM   #33
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

davejames wrote: View Post
Besides, is it okay if they were based on rednecks and not if they were based on black people? Still stereotyping...
No offense, but I've never understood this argument. Considering their much more tragic history in this country, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that we SHOULD be a lot more sensitive to them over other groups.

I always have to cringe everytime I hear some white dude complain about how rough we have it in this country.
Why? treating people special because of their race is still discriminatory.
Old June 25 2009, 08:04 PM   #34
captcalhoun
Admiral

Cky wrote: View Post
I would have said they sounded more like rednecks than the sterotyped black person. Nobody complained about Jazz in the first film.

And we're forgetting the fundamental flaw in this arguement - THEY ARE ROBOTS. Not to mention they studied Earth's languages through the World Wide Web. I'm surprised none of them talked in lulz.
your memory is faulty. i remember people bitching that they were Japanese racist stereotype thingies.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:15 PM   #35
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post

your memory is faulty. i remember people bitching that they were Japanese racist stereotype thingies.
And along the same lines, Watto was criticized, by the majority for being a Jewish merchant stereotype, although some saw him as a slight on Arabs.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:17 PM   #36
captcalhoun
Admiral

oh, yeah, that too. with his avarice and big nose and cod Yiddish accent. oy vey, etc.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 08:22 PM   #37
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Yeah I remember that too.
Old June 25 2009, 08:28 PM   #38
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Many of the Transformers in the original cartoon and comic fit various cultural stereotypes.

Jazz and Blaster have always sounded like urban blacks. Blaster spends most of his time break-dancing ffs. I never heard anyone complain about it until Michael Bay made his little movie.

People on the Internet can go fuck their sensitive little selves, quite frankly.

Have any, I don't know... BLACK people weighed in on this or is this a bunch of guilty white hand wringing over nothing again? Serious question.
Old June 25 2009, 08:58 PM   #39
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Many of the Transformers in the original cartoon and comic fit various cultural stereotypes.

Jazz and Blaster have always sounded like urban blacks. Blaster spends most of his time break-dancing ffs. I never heard anyone complain about it until Michael Bay made his little movie.
Really? Jazz was voiced by one of the greatest legends of all time, Scatman Crothers. There is a reason why he sounded like an urban black...because he was voiced by an urban black man.

I don't know about Blaster and Buster Jones, but Buster has played some black characters as well.

Plus, you know BOTH OF THEIR HISTORY FIT WITH THEIR VOICES.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 09:08 PM   #40
davejames
Vice Admiral

Maybe on a purely technical level, but we're not a bunch of robots here. To act like discrimination against whites is no different than discrimination against blacks greatly diminishes what their culture went through in this country (and the effect it continues to have on current generations).

I just find it strange how eager some are to brush that history aside, and pretend we're all magically on the same level playing field now where the past doesn't matter.
Old June 25 2009, 09:12 PM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Really? Jazz was voiced by one of the greatest legends of all time, Scatman Crothers. There is a reason why he sounded like an urban black...because he was voiced by an urban black man.

I don't know about Blaster and Buster Jones, but Buster has played some black characters as well.

And aside from the voice, I don't remember Crothers' Jazz being all that "urban" anyway. He had kind of a cool way about him, but he wasn't a walking caricature like the movie version.
Old June 25 2009, 09:19 PM   #42
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Maybe on a purely technical level, but we're not a bunch of robots here. To act like discrimination against whites is no different than discrimination against blacks greatly diminishes what their culture went through in this country (and the effect it continues to have on current generations).

I just find it strange how eager some are to brush that history aside, and pretend we're all magically on the same level playing field now where the past doesn't matter.
It's not so much brushing history aside, as saying "Yeah, it happened, now lets move past it."
Pretending it never happened isn't the way, but dwelling on it isn't either. Equality means equality, not special rights for everyone who's not a white man.
And no, I'm not saying "poor little white man, losing all the perks" I'm saying if everyone is equal then treating some people as though they're special breeds problems, not solves them.
Old June 25 2009, 09:25 PM   #43
SamusAranX
Fleet Captain

I think the problem is people overreact. Al Sharpton is already engaging on a crusade against these characters.

Yes, something can be done in poor taste, or found to be racist or stereotypical. Doesn't mean it has be the next major race issue.

Like I said, I found them to be tasteless and embracing stereotypes, but doesn't mean I have to constantly express this view in public or make it an issue on my agenda. I simply acknowledge my distaste and share with others if asked is all. Who is to say the producers intended it? If it really was so intentional or so offensive it needed to be a subject of nationwide outcry and public apologies, wouldn't the voice actors had said something before the film was finished or released?

As the old saying goes, there are bigger fish to fry.
Old June 25 2009, 09:40 PM   #44
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post

And aside from the voice, I don't remember Crothers' Jazz being all that "urban" anyway. He had kind of a cool way about him, but he wasn't a walking caricature like the movie version.
That's true to.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 09:44 PM   #45
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Did he really have a gold tooth???
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote