RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,840
Posts: 5,327,414
Members: 24,552
Currently online: 515
Newest member: mekogas

TrekToday headlines

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 18 2009, 12:20 PM   #31
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral
 
FalTorPan's Avatar
 
Location: Out there... thataway.
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I just watched Superman Returns for the first time in a few years. I love that movie. I know others don't, but I think it's great.
I love the movie, too, and I believe that (1) Lois knew that Superman was Jason's biological father, and (2) Richard knew that he wasn't Jason's biological father.
__________________
Watch ASTRONUTS! Visit Trekplace! Check out my personal website!
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 08:00 PM   #32
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I've been checking this thread on and off, and what it all comes down to is that everything is open to interpretation. Whether or not Richard knew about Jason's parentage would depend on what Lois had known from the very beginning.

Let's consider the following. If Lois didn't know of Jason's biological father, then that would make her a very stupid, clueless woman. (One could argue about the amnesia/memory loss, but that's assuming SR's continuity is linked to the first two Donner films). If Lois DID know who Jason's real father was and she kept it from Richard, that would make her a liar.

EDIT:

In sum, Superman/Clark didn't know (at least not at first).

Lois might have known.

Richard didn't know (IMHO, nor did he care) until it was made apparent to him.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Last edited by Gryffindorian; June 18 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 03:04 PM   #33
MNM
Captain
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

I admit it's been a while since I saw this film, but is there any evidence in it to show that the kid is actually Supermans? all I remember is a piano flying across the room, but that it wasnt shown how that had happened, it was more an assumption that the kid had done it, and it could have just as easily been the boat they were on lurching that did it?
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

MNM wrote: View Post
I admit it's been a while since I saw this film, but is there any evidence in it to show that the kid is actually Supermans? all I remember is a piano flying across the room, but that it wasnt shown how that had happened, it was more an assumption that the kid had done it, and it could have just as easily been the boat they were on lurching that did it?
Well, the piano scene, we see the piano fly across the room at a really fast rate. The shot cuts to the kid who has his hands outstretched where the piano was. The piano could have spontaneously moved, or the boat could have rocked, but considering there was no jarring movement to force the piano to move a such a great speed, this is unlikely.

Also, his Asthma suddenly stopped, which links to the flashback earlier in the movie that Clark gained perfect vision when he learned how to fly.

Also, there is the fact that Lois tells Superman and Superman comes to the house later to give him the speech his father gave him. So, unless Superman was under a horribly mistaken assumption, the kid was his.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 03:22 PM   #35
MNM
Captain
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Broccoli wrote: View Post
MNM wrote: View Post
I admit it's been a while since I saw this film, but is there any evidence in it to show that the kid is actually Supermans? all I remember is a piano flying across the room, but that it wasnt shown how that had happened, it was more an assumption that the kid had done it, and it could have just as easily been the boat they were on lurching that did it?
Well, the piano scene, we see the piano fly across the room at a really fast rate. The shot cuts to the kid who has his hands outstretched where the piano was. The piano could have spontaneously moved, or the boat could have rocked, but considering there was no jarring movement to force the piano to move a such a great speed, this is unlikely.

Also, his Asthma suddenly stopped, which links to the flashback earlier in the movie that Clark gained perfect vision when he learned how to fly.

Also, there is the fact that Lois tells Superman and Superman comes to the house later to give him the speech his father gave him. So, unless Superman was under a horribly mistaken assumption, the kid was his.

So it's more an educated guess rather than anything outright said? Thought I didnt remember that line.

If that is all so, then I doubt Richard knew.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:35 PM   #36
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

She also lies to Lex and tells him that Richard is the boy's father, but we all know that's not true.
Been awhile since I saw the movie, but from what I recall she didn't answer Lex.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 08:40 AM   #37
xman
Commander
 
xman's Avatar
 
Location: Lotus Land, eh
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

sojourner wrote: View Post
She also lies to Lex and tells him that Richard is the boy's father, but we all know that's not true.
Been awhile since I saw the movie, but from what I recall she didn't answer Lex.
My DVD player is on the fritz so I can't check right now to be absolutely certain, but I own the movie and I just watched it a few weeks ago and as I recall it, Lex asks her directly who, "that boy's father" is and she replies, "Richard". I could be wrong. I've been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure that's what's said.
__________________
He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 04:14 PM   #38
Worf2DS9
Writer
 
Worf2DS9's Avatar
 
Location: Canada, eh
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

^ Yeah, that's what she said. Then Lex replied, "Are you sure?"

As for the piano, wouldn't it be safe to assume that it was also nailed down like everything else to prevent it from moving around on the high seas? A simple lurch of the yacht wouldn't have shot the piano across the room at such a high rate of speed (not to mention exactly where it needed to go, nor at the precise second it needed to). To me, it's pretty obvious Jason did the deed.
__________________
Shorts in: SNW5 | SNW7 | SNW9
+ Star Trek: Corps of Engineers - "The Light"
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 06:06 PM   #39
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

^ I thought it was indisputable that Jason moved the piano. This thread is the first time I've seen anything else suggested.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 07:06 PM   #40
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

sojourner wrote: View Post
She also lies to Lex and tells him that Richard is the boy's father, but we all know that's not true.
Been awhile since I saw the movie, but from what I recall she didn't answer Lex.
She said "Richard", but did so in a frightened manner, which can indicate two things: 1) She was simply scared, because Lex was asking things specifically about her kid or 2) She knew that the kid was Supes' and didn't want Lex to know and/or have Lex expose the Kryptonite to Jason (which, of course, he does moments later in which Jason doesn't react to it).
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 09:24 PM   #41
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Yeah she replied Richard in a very defensive way...maybe even still trying to convince himself, and then Lex responds "Are You Sure" (one of the best lines in the film) and despite what everyone else says I still think that Jason was reacting to the Kryptonite. It didn't effect him completely like Clark because his powers have developed just starting to but the reaction in the face (along with already being scared of the situation) seemed to indicate a reaction of some kind to the mineral.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 10:31 AM   #42
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain
 
Nick Ryder's Avatar
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI Da Brew City
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Course the fact that Lois could even have Superman's kid blows... literally... Niven's "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex" theory.

Richard probably knew Lois was a closet slut, so he figgered if it wasn't his kid, it was someone else's... but hey... he still gets to do the horizontal mambo and watch her parade around in silky lingerie... so hey... win some lose some
__________________
"Here you are in the club with your bottle full of Bud, you got grillz you got bling, but playa you don't know a thing..." Alice Cooper - Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
Nick Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 04:32 PM   #43
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

NickRyder wrote: View Post
Course the fact that Lois could even have Superman's kid blows... literally... Niven's "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex" theory.
Only half of it, that she would be unable to carry a superfetus to term. Apparently, the lack of yellow sunlight in the womb helps in that regard, as does the fact that the baby is half human.

But, it does nothing to dissuade us from the belief that Superman's shotgun-like ejaculation would completely annihilate Lois if they had sex. The only reason they were able to make love in Superman 2 is that Clark gave up his powers and was no stronger than a mortal human at the time.

And that's as good an explanation as any for why Superman left her after getting his powers back.

Last edited by hyzmarca; June 21 2009 at 05:12 PM.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 05:10 PM   #44
xman
Commander
 
xman's Avatar
 
Location: Lotus Land, eh
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
... But, it does nothing to dissuade us from the belief that Superman's shotgun-like ejaculation with completely annihilate Lois if they had sex. ...
A fun supposition, but unnecessary. Does Clark destroy every coffee cup he picks up? Does he leave destructive footprints in his wake wherever he goes? No. He has control over his powers. One can argue that we lose control during orgasm which might technically be more realistic, but not much fun for story telling. So, in my mind Superman has Super Kegles and can control his ejac.
__________________
He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 05:17 PM   #45
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Superman Returns: Did Richard Know?

Picking up a coffee cup is a voluntary action; ejaculation is not. And besides, it could be great from a storytelling point of view, if used properly. It would just lead to a rating higher than PG-13.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
jason lane, lois lane, richard white, superman, superman returns

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.