Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 18 10.17%
Above Average 38 21.47%
Average 50 28.25%
Below Average 30 16.95%
Poor 41 23.16%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19 2009, 06:48 PM   #31
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Cky wrote: View Post

But the problem was, did anyone else feel that Starscream was just a complete pussy during the whole film? I loved the Starscream from the first film, and as far as I know, Starscream always secretly hated Megatron and Optimus because he thought their personal battle wasn't for the best of his race, and he wants to overthrow Megatron and take control of the Decepticons.
Um Cky Starscream has always been a self serving slightly cowardly prick who only wants Megatron dead so he can be top dog and he hates Optimus just because Prime is the leader of the Autobots, so it sounds like Bay is being true to the source material in this case.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 07:03 PM   #32
Saul
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

But the problem was, did anyone else feel that Starscream was just a complete pussy during the whole film? I loved the Starscream from the first film, and as far as I know, Starscream always secretly hated Megatron and Optimus because he thought their personal battle wasn't for the best of his race, and he wants to overthrow Megatron and take control of the Decepticons.
Um Cky Starscream has always been a self serving slightly cowardly prick who only wants Megatron dead so he can be top dog and he hates Optimus just because Prime is the leader of the Autobots, so it sounds like Bay is being true to the source material in this case.
Yep, it's got a strong G1 vibe in this.
Old June 19 2009, 07:20 PM   #33
Cky
Captain

Yeah I know he's been a self serving coward, but in this he just sounded like a complete pussy. Made his voice higher and never really fights.
Old June 19 2009, 07:49 PM   #34
Saul
Rear Admiral

But he is a self serving coward who never challenges Megatron directly. He just wants power. Check out the first episode of G1 series and the dynamic is the same.

Love Megatrons line, even in death he is still a leader. Then he says hello to his master...
Old June 19 2009, 08:13 PM   #35
captcalhoun
Admiral

Starscream fights Prime in the forest fight and gets his right arm lopped off in the process!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 10:18 PM   #36
payndz201
Commodore

The good points:
• More robots. No complaints about a lack of giant alien transforming robots in a movie about giant alien transforming robots, this time.
• The comedy was much better (and less forced) than the first movie, with almost no 'wacky' racial stereotypes. Sam's parents and Simmons had some genuinely funny moments, to my surprise.
• Jetfire. Best character in the entire film.
• Megatron and Starscream's abusive master/slimy servant double-act.

The bad points:
• Way, way, waaaaay too long, with whole sections that just plodded. Nothing as blatantly time-wasting as the hacker subplot from the first movie, but they could easily have dumped the 'asshole National Security Advisor' stuff.
• Even at this ridiculous length, it still felt disjointed, as though they'd chopped out various bridging scenes and replaced them with...
• EXPOSITION. Jetfire may have been by far the most entertaining character, but he still got lumbered with the colossal monologues explaining the backstory. Memo to Michael Bay: spinning the camera round and round while a character is delivering a lecture is not a substitute for writing that exposition in a more interesting manner. God damn, Orci and Kurtzman are hacks.
• The Autobots are actually less developed than in the first movie. Optimus delivers a couple of blandly noble speeches, Bumblebee mopes like a child then shoots stuff, Ironhide and Ratchet get maybe ten lines between them. The others barely register, apart from Master Shake and Meatwad - er, the Twins.
• Other than Megatron, Starscream and Wheelie, the Decepticons are pretty much nameless cannon fodder. At least the bad guys in the first movie introduced themselves - and got to show off their cool transformations before being killed. This lot just growled and then were randomly shot by the US military.
• Nobody involved in the movie seemed to be aware that Egypt and Jordan are two completely different countries that don't even share a border (they're separated by, y'know, Israel) and that the Pyramids and Petra are over 250 miles apart.
• Again, it's a movie that I suspect will be easier to follow on DVD - the action in the robot battle scenes is just too close in to follow on a big screen. All I saw in the forest battle was: blur, blur, blur - hey, some blue, that must be Optimus! - blur, blur, I think that was Starscream, blur, blur, something blue hit something dark grey, so I guess Optimus hit Megatron, blur, blur - woo, not-Blackout just got fucked up! Somehow - blur, blur... oh, crap!
• The Fallen was a rather boring villain, just another growly Evil Overlord - and if he'd been chilling on his base on one of Saturn's moons for all this time, why were the Decepticons in the first film so bothered about finding and kowtowing to Megatron?
• Nitpicking: the Predator that we see taking off is a real one with a pusher propeller, but the one that arrives at the battle a few minutes later is the same fictional one from the first movie (probably the exact same shot, cheapasses ) with a jet engine.
• There were no smarts involved in taking out any of the bad guys, no tricking them into making mistakes, no playing on their personality flaws. Just shooting them with increasingly bigger guns.
• And the biggie... at least in the first movie, one Autobot and a couple of soldiers we vaguely knew died amongst all the mayhem. This time? Even bigger mayhem, but...

The first movie had many, many faults, but I think I preferred it to this because it (scarily) felt more coherent and didn't fall back on ALIEN MAGIC™ to get the main characters out of terminal scrapes.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 10:34 PM   #37
MNM
Captain

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Devin from CHUD is calling it a "woeful disaster".

How am I not surprised...
On Twitter he posted "TRANSFORMERS is a disaster. A tedious, grueling disaster." He states that he enjoyed the first movie a lot but went on to ask of the second film "why is it so BORING? why is there so little action? Why so much slooooow bullshit?"
I dont know who he is, but: "Why is there so little action"? The guy clearly didnt watch the film, it's full of action.

An awesome movie. A better plot than the last one in my opinion, more Transformers, action ,explosions, some comedic moments, Megan Fox and many, many occasions where she is either running in full chest bouncing slow motion or slipping around in positions designed, (purely coincidentally I am sure), to show off as much a glimpse of her wonderous rack as can be. What more can a film require?
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 12:21 AM   #38
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

payndz201 wrote: View Post
The first movie had many, many faults, but I think I preferred it to this because it (scarily) felt more coherent and didn't fall back on ALIEN MAGIC™ to get the main characters out of terminal scrapes.
Least it had the right name this time
Old June 20 2009, 12:31 AM   #39
Aragorn
Admiral

So how is John Turturro with Jetfire's voice.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 01:35 AM   #40
FemurBone
Vice Admiral

I saw it last night for the advanced screening, and I have to say - do not watch this film if you love the first one. Honestly, Bay hasn't improved the film in the slightest and this is annoying to say because the first Transformers film is in my top 3 films, but this one doesn't make the cut.

A modest 7/10 for me.
You trash the film and then give it a 7/10?

A bad movie should get 2/10 or3/10.

A 7/10 implies the movie was good.
Old June 20 2009, 07:28 AM   #41
captcalhoun
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
So how is John Turturro with Jetfire's voice.
the Jetfire voice actor's great. he's British (says bollocks even), doesn't sound at all like Turturro.
Old June 20 2009, 10:01 AM   #42
Cky
Captain

FemurBone wrote: View Post
I saw it last night for the advanced screening, and I have to say - do not watch this film if you love the first one. Honestly, Bay hasn't improved the film in the slightest and this is annoying to say because the first Transformers film is in my top 3 films, but this one doesn't make the cut.

A modest 7/10 for me.
You trash the film and then give it a 7/10?

A bad movie should get 2/10 or3/10.

A 7/10 implies the movie was good.
I did "trash" the film, but as I've said in most of my posts, I did like the movie, just there were so many things that annoyed me about it. But looking over them I still can't deny the underlining fact that it's a Transformers movie, and my love of the first film brings this one up.

I thought the storyline was okay There were some very strange plotholes that I didn't like, like why they were so hung up on saving Megatron when they had The Fallen there lying in wait. It was things like that that annoyed me. My list of things I enjoyed about the movie is dwarfed by the list of the things that annoyed me.

Like for example the Autobots, we never got to really see them, or have a personality.
Old June 20 2009, 07:08 PM   #43
captcalhoun
Admiral

Sideswipe's fucking badass though.

so badass, he makes Robau look like a wuss!
Old June 20 2009, 10:27 PM   #44
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Sideswipe's fucking badass though.

so badass, he makes Robau look like a wuss!
HERETIC! BURN HIM!
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 10:44 PM   #45
Aragorn
Admiral

Robau created the All-Spark.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote