Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 18 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
ST XI novel and Spock Prime (SPOILER)

Does the ST XI novelization go into any more detail as to what Spock Prime's role will be in the rebuilding of Vulcan society?

All he said in the film was that he'd helped find a suitable site for a colony for the survivors of Vulcan. Does the novel say what he himself will do there? Will he assume leadership of the colony? Has he told anyone else (Sarek, for example) who he is?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

Re: ST XI novel and Spock Prime (SPOILER)

No. No. No. and No.
I bought the novelization hoping it would have more, anything, than the movie. but, no, it doesn't. I suspect the Abrams camp. There is an interview with Alan Dean Foster in the Star Trek magazine that I want to read to see how this novelization came about.
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Christopher
Writer

^No reason to "suspect" anyone. Foster was hired to write the novelization extremely late in the game. He had literally only weeks to write it. He didn't have time to expand on it too much. Actually he does fill in a lot; there's much more detailed discussion of events in the book than there is in the film. But he didn't have time to expand on everything.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
PaulSimpson
Writer/Editor

Christopher wrote: View Post
^No reason to "suspect" anyone. Foster was hired to write the novelization extremely late in the game. He had literally only weeks to write it. He didn't have time to expand on it too much. Actually he does fill in a lot; there's much more detailed discussion of events in the book than there is in the film. But he didn't have time to expand on everything.
One point in the interview that surprised me: when I asked Alan how long he had to write the book, he said "four weeks" but that that was normal for this sort of project... The impression I definitely got was that this didn't really differ from his Transformers or Terminator books in terms of time. The only difference - which actually probably *helped* the book - was that, very unusually, there was an actual finished film for him to watch before he started work on the novelisation. Normally there's not even a rough cut.

Paul