RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 770
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"
Excellent 97 77.60%
Above Average 15 12.00%
Average 10 8.00%
Below Average 1 0.80%
Poor 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11 2009, 04:55 AM   #271
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 2: Mere Mortals - (SPOILERS)

Trent,

Thank you, as always, for your very detailed and thoughtfully considered review. I'm sorry that so much of Mere Mortals did not work for you, and I hope that you find Lost Souls more to your liking. I look forward to reading your thoughts regarding the trilogy's conclusion.

~ David Mack

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 04:16 PM   #272
bluedana

Hi, there. I just finished the Destiny trilogy last night.

I totally need a cigarette.

I know that this is technically a Mere Mortals thread, but it makes no sense to me to separate the books – they are seamless and wonderful. I plunged headlong from one to the other (yay for Kindle, download the next book in under a minute!).

I have to say I haven’t read any of the previous Trek Lit (sorry, KRAD, et al.) since I stopped reading TOS books in the late 80s. I’m familiar enough with TNG (stopped watching the series when I decided the crew was freaking irritating, didn’t “get” the movies), not so much DS9 (I like it but haven’t made it past the end of Season 2 yet) or Voyager (can’t seem to catch it from the beginning on Spike). I’ll admit my real Trek obsession is ENT (stop laughing) and I only picked up Gods of Night because I was desperate for an ENT novel that wasn’t part of the TGTMD relaunch. Erika Hernandez’ story was the closest I could get, so I figured it would be worth the cost of the download.

I devoured it, and Mere Mortals and Lost Souls as well. It’s been a while since I’ve read any novel or series that was THAT GOOD. Like seriously torn between wanting to race to the end and never wanting to reach the last page GOOD.

(Thank you, Mr. Mack, for including those lovely passages where Erika attempts to contact her "lost love" Jon Archer as she reaches his time, and fails. I actually teared up. I know, I’m ridiculous.)

Even though I came in pretty ignorant of most of the characters (both screen and novel), I had no problem following the plot or caring about the different crews. Even Picard and Troi (both of whom I’d gladly airlock on a normal day) melted my cold heart. Yes, I most likely missed a lot of inside references, but the characters were so well presented that I didn’t notice. And I thought the whole “destruction of worlds” idea was handled beautifully. Most of the characters I’d never met before, yet I still grieved with them. I wasn’t burnt out on the Borg, and I saw the end coming by mid-Lost Souls, but that was because it was such an elegant solution and made so much sense.

As soon as I finished Lost Souls, I downloaded Glass Empires (as I said: desperate for ENT-related stuff) in large part because David Mack is one of the authors. I got a real charge out of Nan Bacco, so Articles of the Federation is next on my to buy list.

I probably will read the entire trilogy again, from beginning to end, before the end of the summer.

Yeah. That good.

Last edited by bluedana; June 12 2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Correct book title.
bluedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 04:40 PM   #273
Ood Sigma
Commander

bluedana wrote: View Post
I got a real charge out of Nan Bacco, so Federation is next on my to buy list.
Not sure if this was a typo, but the book you want is called Articles of the Federation. The book Federation is also a great read, but has nothing to do with Nan Bacco.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 05:25 PM   #274
JD
Admiral

Yeah, Federation is TNG/TOS crossover that takes place during the series (or at least TNG, I haven't read it myself).
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 06:00 PM   #275
bluedana

It was a typo, of sorts. Thanks for the correction. I already have it in my "Save for Later" queue, so I'd have ended up with the right book. But I've corrected the above post, so that the author gets proper credit.
Old June 12 2009, 06:32 PM   #276
David Mack
Writer

Hi, there. I just finished the Destiny trilogy last night.

I totally need a cigarette.
I know the feeling. Of course, that's just because I'm a reformed smoker. (Thanks to my wife.)

I devoured it, and Mere Mortals and Lost Souls as well. Itís been a while since Iíve read any novel or series that was THAT GOOD. Like seriously torn between wanting to race to the end and never wanting to reach the last page GOOD.
Thanks, very kind of you to say. I'm always happy to hear from a satisfied reader.

(Thank you, Mr. Mack, for including those lovely passages where Erika attempts to contact her "lost love" Jon Archer as she reaches his time, and fails. I actually teared up. I know, Iím ridiculous.)
Now that the trilogy is out there, and has been widely read, I can probably say now without spoiling anything: Even though it has ships and crews from the 24th century, Star Trek Destiny is actually Erika Hernandez's story. It would have been impossible to market it that way, but if I'm to be honest, that's what it is.

As soon as I finished Lost Souls, I downloaded Glass Empires (as I said: desperate for ENT-related stuff) in large part because David Mack is one of the authors.
I hope you enjoy my short novel in that volume, The Sorrows of Empire. And you might be interested to know that I am currently working on expanding it to double its original length with new material; the full-length expanded edition of The Sorrows of Empire will be out in January.

I probably will read the entire trilogy again, from beginning to end, before the end of the summer.

Yeah. That good.
Again, too kind. Thanks!

Old June 12 2009, 10:42 PM   #277
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

I have to say I havenít read any of the previous Trek Lit (sorry, KRAD, et al.)
No need to apologize. One of the hopes for Destiny was that it might serve as a gateway drug for some.

I got a real charge out of Nan Bacco, so Articles of the Federation is next on my to buy list.
Cool! Do let me (well, all of us) know what you think of it!

David Mack wrote: View Post
Now that the trilogy is out there, and has been widely read, I can probably say now without spoiling anything: Even though it has ships and crews from the 24th century, Star Trek Destiny is actually Erika Hernandez's story. It would have been impossible to market it that way, but if I'm to be honest, that's what it is.
Was that supposed to be a secret?

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 11:04 PM   #278
David Mack
Writer

KRAD wrote: View Post
Not a secret, per se. Just a bit more truth in advertising than I was able to share when Pocket was first trying to market the books.

Old June 17 2009, 03:43 AM   #279
flemm
Fleet Captain

KRAD wrote: View Post
Reading the novels certainly leaves no doubt I gather she appears in Enterprise at some point. I'm watching that series on DVD currently, but I haven't encountered her yet. Now I'm looking forward to it, though, because the tale of her long solitude and eventual transformation was a thrilling one.

Beyond that I was most impressed by the sheer mass of continuity that had to be digested and interpreted to compose this story. The revelation concerning the Borg actually manages to plausibly explain many of that adversary's multiple incarnations over the years, while revitalizing them to the point that they are intimidating once again, which they have not been for some time.

The accumulation of Trek continuity may well have become a liability in the wider market, but I was pleased to see it can still be a strength in these pages.

I appreciated the attention to detail. Even characters that were not and could not be the focus of this tale were vivid at times. Geordi's decision to stand up to Picard, for example, and Worf's reaction to his choice. "It was an act of great honor," or words to that effect.

Thanks
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 12:41 AM   #280
Charles Phipps
Commander

Re: Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...ls-review.html

I must say that I really enjoyed this volume of the Destiny trilogy, even more so than the former. The touching degeneration and redemption of Captain Hernandez as contrasted to her crew, was just some genuinely good writing all around. I think you did an excellent job of making the Captain entirely understandable while, at times, unsympathetic. A lot of what really works about ST is the fact that you expect a lot of the usual "outs" from Star Trek to happen only they don't--leaving our heroes with "realistic" consequences for the insane situations they find themselves in.

I will say, however, my pet peeve about Star Trek politics did show up. Basically, the Thollians HORRIFIED reaction to real politc and pretending it was a personal slight. The fact we know the consequences of this and how it goes completely off the rails makes it even worse. I had a hard time wrapping my head around their perspective (giant spider brains or not). Still, awesome work.
Old June 14 2013, 04:25 AM   #281
David Mack
Writer

Well, the reaction of the Tholians makes a lot more sense when viewed in the context of the events that occur in the Star Trek Vanguard saga.

Glad you enjoyed the second book, and Captain Hernandez's tale in particular; that was my favorite part of the book to write — perhaps my favorite part of the entire trilogy.

Old June 14 2013, 05:14 AM   #282
Shane Houston
Lieutenant Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

David Mack wrote: View Post
Well, the reaction of the Tholians makes a lot more sense when viewed in the context of the events that occur in the Star Trek Vanguard saga.

Glad you enjoyed the second book, and Captain Hernandez's tale in particular; that was my favorite part of the book to write — perhaps my favorite part of the entire trilogy.
Your love of Captain Hernandez's tale shows. In my opinion it's what makes the Destiny trilogy the best Trek story I've ever read. While reading it I often asked myself what I would have done if I were in the situations she and her crew had been placed in all parts of the trilogy.

The Destiny series did so well, not because it was a great Star Trek story, or even a great science fiction story. But a great story. Period. It's the only three Trek books I've convinced non Trek fans to read and enjoy.

I'm glad it set the tone for the Trek stories to come.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote