Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 16 2009, 07:42 PM   #31
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: What I Don't Like About the USS Kelvin

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
While Gene Roddenberry is dead, all the way until Nemesis, you didn't see rocket like exhaust shoot out the backs of the warp-nacelles...
ST: XI had bright flashes coming from the nacelles. Not terribly different from TNG in that respect really, except that the thingy is on the back.

Nemesis had literal exhaust coming out the the nacelles when the Enterprise jumped to warp.
Old June 16 2009, 07:46 PM   #32
Love Actually
Admiral

View Love Actually's Twitter Profile

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
While Gene Roddenberry is dead, all the way until Nemesis, you didn't see rocket like exhaust shoot out the backs of the warp-nacelles...
ST: XI had bright flashes coming from the nacelles. Not terribly different from TNG in that respect really, except that the thingy is on the back.

Nemesis had literal exhaust coming out the the nacelles when the Enterprise jumped to warp.

Dude, that was farting.
Old June 16 2009, 08:20 PM   #33
Silversmok3
Commander

SilentP wrote: View Post
I managed to count 20 shuttles that survived to the frame before the fade towards the title part. With 800 people to sort between them, does anyone think 40 people per shuttle is a stretch (or somewhere close to that number in case Pike was rounding up etc.), especially if not every shuttle was packed, like the medical one, or do you reckon that those shuttles are spacious enough to hold 40 each?

Well,methinks a lot of those 800 crew bit it when Nero savaged the Kelvin beforehand. How many of those unfortunate souls in number we really cant calculate,but with casualties considered thered be far less than 800 who'd need a lift off the ship.
Old June 16 2009, 08:33 PM   #34
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
Jeri wrote: View Post
Well, you can just forget it; there's nothing to dislike about the Kelvin.
She did seem to have a rather fetching chain of command. And a cute doctor.
Dude piloting the shuttle was, too, in addition to aforementioned.

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
Well,methinks a lot of those 800 crew bit it when Nero savaged the Kelvin beforehand. How many of those unfortunate souls in number we really cant calculate,but with casualties considered thered be far less than 800 who'd need a lift off the ship.
Kirk's dad saved 800 lives -- quoth Christopher Pike. So -- not dead.
Old June 16 2009, 10:52 PM   #35
BorgPhil
Lieutenant Commander

is it possible that the 800 people saved weren't all necessarily on the Kelvin? We heard them comminicating with a starbase, Pike could have included the people on that who would have also been at risk if the Narada hadn't been disabled, assuming it was pretty close by.
BorgPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 11:00 PM   #36
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander

Why did Nero attack the Kelvin?
Fish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 11:33 PM   #37
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

SNIP lost list of complaints

CuttingEdge100
Aside from that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Fish1941 wrote: View Post
For friends of the family who died on Romulus, maybe his in-laws? To wit:

(mods, I'm not sure if this image is okay... hopefully? )
Old June 16 2009, 11:40 PM   #38
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

I just think the ship didn't conform to pre-timewarp events. Everything after 2233/4 was changed... but stuff PRIOR to 2233/4 was the same right?

CuttingEdge100
Ever consider joining a Church? Devote some of this asinine nitpicking twords worshiping the Lord? We have ONE TRUE GOSPEL that never changes and is not open to debate.

In other words we have a canon that you can devote yourself to... as opposed to this endless wanking over an act of fiction that can be smoothed over by using your imagination.
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:05 AM   #39
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well:
  1. We don't know that the 1701 Enterprise was the biggest ship in TOS. All we know is that a "starship" is something special, and there were only twelve like her. Some fans have no problem with three-nacelle dreadnoughts, myself among them.
  2. Older technology could potentially make for a greater crew and bigger ship in the form of the Kelvin. (Although I still have issues with 800 people fleeing in those shuttles... )
  3. I don't think the Kelvin's warp core is necessarily in the secondary hull - I think it's all hangar. I somehow think the reactor might be contained in the warp nacelle, which could then itself simply be ejected. If the warp core is in the secondary hull, ejection of both the secondary hull and nacelle might be possible.
In any case, I wouldn't stress over it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:09 AM   #40
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Just as an idea, something to toss back and forth: we know George Kirk saved 800 lives. Is it possible that the Kelvin was transporting people at the time she encountered the Narada?

It's own standard crew might be a lot less than that. And if the Kelvin were carrying passengers, perhaps she had a greater than usual number of shuttles too? Perhaps larger ones with increased cargo capacity.

He'd set off on a mission to destroy federation worlds. After going through the wormhole the first thing he sees is a federation ship. He also needs to interrogate someone about the location of Spock, and isn't in the mood for a friendly chat.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:13 AM   #41
Praetor
Vice Admiral

The Badger wrote: View Post
Just as an idea, something to toss back and forth: we know George Kirk saved 800 lives. Is it possible that the Kelvin was transporting people at the time she encountered the Narada?

It's own standard crew might be a lot less than that. And if the Kelvin were carrying passengers, perhaps she had a greater than usual number of shuttles too? Perhaps larger ones with increased cargo capacity.
A very good possibility. I'm also rather fond of the idea that there were one or two less armed ships following a bit behind the Kelvin off screen, and that their complement, combined with the Kelvin's, was 800. The Kelvin's sacrifice would be the only thing that allowed them to escape.

He'd set off on a mission to destroy federation worlds. After going through the wormhole the first thing he sees is a federation ship. He also needs to interrogate someone about the location of Spock, and isn't in the mood for a friendly chat.
Exactly.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 17 2009, 01:41 AM   #42
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Kestrel wrote: View Post
<snip>

http://myspace.roflposters.com/image...5D.myspace.jpg

(mods, I'm not sure if this image is okay... hopefully? )
I suppose that depends. I don't have much of a problem with the image itself, but how does myspace.roflposter.com feel about people hotlinking directly to their images?

Praetor wrote: View Post

A very good possibility. I'm also rather fond of the idea that there were one or two less armed ships following a bit behind the Kelvin off screen, and that their complement, combined with the Kelvin's, was 800. The Kelvin's sacrifice would be the only thing that allowed them to escape.
This reminds me of an old rumor(?) which surfaced at AICN months ago about some supposed footage which showed a convoy of some sort. Not sure whether that was ever verified, debunked or simply went away on its own.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:56 AM   #43
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Now that's interesting, M'. I thought I had just made that up.
Old June 17 2009, 02:00 AM   #44
FrankR
Lieutenant Commander

Didn't Robau tell George that "We're on our own." That hardly sounds like there were any other ships or bases nearby.
Occams razor people; the simplest explanation is the Kelvin has about 800 crew that escaped in shuttles.
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 02:00 AM   #45
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Now that's interesting, M'. I thought I had just made that up.
You did, but it happened to jog a memory of something from a while back.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote