Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old June 14 2009, 12:30 AM   #1
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

S5 had a better shot at happening than we thought...

From a response to a question I posed on Doug Drexler's blog:

We had heard that Mr. Berman, and the new CBS bosses were not clicking, and that did not bode well for a 5th season. We figured it was 50/50. Enterprise never had really bad ratings. It actually was pulling better numbers than Galactica, which was a hit for Sci Fi. What really killed it, IMO, was Les Moonves, the head over there. He didinít get Star Trek, didnít care for sci-fi, and there was no love loss between him and Mr. Berman (or so Iíve heard).

50/50 is a lot better than most people were thinking.

It also confirms that people "behind the scenes" were hearing and thinking the same thing a lot of us on the outside were thinking: Moonives was the axeman that killed the show.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 04:08 AM   #2
caisson2delta
Captain

Re: S5 had a better shot at happening than we thought...

That's really a shame. I still don't know why TPTB didn't try to pitch the show to maybe SciFi or somewhere else. One can only imagine what cool things may have happened in season 5 and beyond.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 08:24 AM   #3
joncreed
Commander

Back in '05, Viacom's cable channel Spike wanted "Enterprise" for Season 5 since the old UPN no longer wanted any type of Sci-Fi; Spike was looking for an original series to be their flagship- at that time, I think they were showing repeats of "Voyager" and TNG. "Enterprise" would have scored BSG type ratings for Spike BUT it was rumored that Moonves used his influence in the Viacom hierarchy to quash the deal with Spike.

Also, DVR ratings were not counted back in '05 as they are now- the DVR repeats combined with first-run ratings were quite respectable for UPN.
joncreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, I was really hoping ENT would end up moving to Spike. I'm not surprised that Moonves seems to be the common denominator in all these rumors. I'll bet he let Moonlight die for similar reasons, even though it was doing well for a Friday show and had developed a pretty strong following.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

caisson2delta wrote: View Post
That's really a shame. I still don't know why TPTB didn't try to pitch the show to maybe SciFi or somewhere else. One can only imagine what cool things may have happened in season 5 and beyond.
Paramount/CBS (who owned the TV rights to the Star Trek franchise) had a number of cable outlets (including Spike TV); and a NUMBER of UPN affiliates wanted a 'first run syndication' deal (ala the TNG and DS9 series model) - but the studio was not all all interested in shopping the show. The feeling was that 18 years an 23 seasons was a good un for any franchise, and they would maintain a higher profit margin by just selling the stardard repeat syndication rights.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Hi darkwing. Any chance of a link, please?

Mr. Moonves no doubt attributes the current success of the film to his decision to cancel Enterprise in the first place. And since it could never have got off the ground without CBS willingness to loan the rights back to Paramount...
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 12:24 PM   #7
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Hi darkwing. Any chance of a link, please?

Mr. Moonves no doubt attributes the current success of the film to his decision to cancel Enterprise in the first place. And since it could never have got off the ground without CBS willingness to loan the rights back to Paramount...
There's no one link...just a general consensus that was prevelant around here at the time: that the show was going down no doubt about it early on in the season.

As far as Trek rights go, the film rights never left Paramount as they were split off from the TV rights when CBS and Paramount were separated from each other.
Old June 14 2009, 12:57 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

As far as Trek rights go, the film rights never left Paramount as they were split off from the TV rights when CBS and Paramount were separated from each other.
That's not my understanding...

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...7&postcount=25

The rights to distributing previously made Star Trek movies, certainly. CBS Studios own all the trademarks for Star Trek and permission has to be saught to use them... even a Paramount Pictures Executive keen to get the ball rolling on a new feature-film. In the past, that was easier with the TV and film arms basically part of the same business entity.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 01:39 PM   #9
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

^That's newer information than I had...
Old June 16 2009, 05:31 AM   #10
commodore64
Vice Admiral

Les Moonves
He seems kinda like the clueless wonder. I read a NY Times Magazine article with him that scared me. For example, he thinks doing something like the naked news (where a naked woman, or stripping woman reads the news) is a good idea. He was also behind some of the retooling of the show and the one that Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) suggests should be out golfing rather than provide dumb ideas for the show. And he did provide some dumb ideas.
Old June 16 2009, 09:39 AM   #11
Mach5
Rear Admiral

commodore64 wrote: View Post
Les Moonves
He seems kinda like the clueless wonder. I read a NY Times Magazine article with him that scared me. For example, he thinks doing something like the naked news (where a naked woman, or stripping woman reads the news) is a good idea. He was also behind some of the retooling of the show and the one that Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) suggests should be out golfing rather than provide dumb ideas for the show. And he did provide some dumb ideas.
And Jolene should have known better than to publicly (and quite condescendingly) trash the guy who signed her paycheck. But that's another story. I would dare to assume that ENT's demise was as much Berman's fault, as it is Moonves.' There was this interview with Garret Wang that someone posted over at VOY forum some time ago, in which Wang said that most of the CBS brass hated Berman's guts, and just waited for an excuse to kill his project and kick him out.
Old June 17 2009, 01:11 AM   #12
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I think that if ENT had been allowed to finish its seven year run the show would have been as fondly remembered as DS9. This Moonves guy sounds like a real Bonnie Hammer.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Middleman
Captain

View Middleman's Twitter Profile

We had heard that Mr. Berman, and the new CBS bosses were not clicking, and that did not bode well for a 5th season. We figured it was 50/50. Enterprise never had really bad ratings. It actually was pulling better numbers than Galactica, which was a hit for Sci Fi. What really killed it, IMO, was Les Moonves, the head over there. He didinít get Star Trek, didnít care for sci-fi, and there was no love loss between him and Mr. Berman (or so Iíve heard).

Would you be kind enough to provide the link?
Old June 21 2009, 11:57 PM   #14
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

^ I did ask that too. It wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Drexler had to pull the comment. Probably not wise to badmouth any employer (a past or a potential future one). Although personally I don't see how personal comments enter into it... as their disclaimer goes "views stated in these commentaries do no reflect the opinion of CBS Corporation". But you hear cases of employees being fired for spouting off in an online blog.
Old June 22 2009, 12:36 AM   #15
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Middleman wrote: View Post

Would you be kind enough to provide the link?
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
^ I did ask that too. It wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Drexler had to pull the comment. Probably not wise to badmouth any employer (a past or a potential future one). Although personally I don't see how personal comments enter into it... as their disclaimer goes "views stated in these commentaries do no reflect the opinion of CBS Corporation". But you hear cases of employees being fired for spouting off in an online blog.
As of right before I type this, it's still up:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...erprise-class/

He talks about Berman's allergy to anything "loud" in the main post, but the portion I quoted is in the responses at the bottom:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...#comment-13623