Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 15 2009, 06:27 PM   #1756
AdmiralSteven
Lieutenant Commander

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
Also, I'm of the opinion that Scarlet Pomers is one of the better child actors Trek has gotten.
I had to look Scarlet Pomers up, the name didn't ring a bell, but man has she grown into a beautiful young woman. Has it really been that long since Voyager's been on? Wow, I never would have recognized her if I didn't look her up.
Old June 15 2009, 07:20 PM   #1757
M
Vice Admiral

AdmiralSteven wrote: View Post
I had to look Scarlet Pomers up, the name didn't ring a bell, but man has she grown into a beautiful young woman. Has it really been that long since Voyager's been on? Wow, I never would have recognized her if I didn't look her up.
She definitely is a beaut, yes.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«

Last edited by M; June 15 2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Freakin' typo
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 07:30 PM   #1758
Praetor
Vice Admiral

GodBen, why was my PM ignored?

Anyway, glad you're back to your reviews.

I rather liked "Once Upon a Time" because it felt very realistic in terms of the way the characters behaved, and, again, as others have said, was a good use of Neelix other than Wacky Alien Comic Relief (tm). Also, I may just be gullible, but I honestly thought Naomi's mother might have died and Neelix would have to raise her. Honestly, I would not have minded that at all. Like with Chakotay's almost-kid from "Basics," this would have given the "parent" character something nice to do, and contributed to the idea of Voyager as a unique growing community in space.

Why can't I have nice things?

Was there too much of the holo-cartoons? Sure. But they were pretty entertaining, IMO. Treevis was terrific. Being a premature curmudgeon myself, I do enjoy a good curmudgeonly character.

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
Also, I'm of the opinion that Scarlet Pomers is one of the better child actors Trek has gotten.
To me, Scarlett Pomers was nothing short of the best child actor Trek had to offer. Others — like Noley Thornton and Wil Wheaton — were great, too. But Scarlett was the best.
Definitely agreed. Scarlett was and is very, very talented, and a very lovely young woman. I enjoyed her on "Reba."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 07:47 PM   #1759
kimc
Coffee Mod

GodBen: I'm sorry the manwhoring didn't work out for you. It's amazing what a few well-placed bribes can do. Nothing personal, you understand. Oh, and I'm glad you're continuing the thread.

Alex1939: You will stop the trollish behavior in this thread (and any other for that matter) or you will get a warning. Your call.

The rest of you I will repeat DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

If you believe someone is here just to cause trouble then either notify or wait for a mod to notice. We'll handle it.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 08:16 PM   #1760
Mareika
Commander

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Mareika wrote: View Post
I think it`s Kate Vernon (BSG) who played Valerie Archer, not Ellen Tigh.
Kate Vernon did play Archer but she also played the BSG character Ellen Tighe.
Oh yes, you`are right. I should watch BSG more often.
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 08:19 PM   #1761
Alex1939
Captain

kimc wrote: View Post

Alex1939: You will stop the trollish behavior in this thread (and any other for that matter) or you will get a warning. Your call.

Why cause I made a joke and then answered someone's question why I bother to read the thread? And in the answer I give props to the original poster of the thread and state my overall feel on Voyager.

Yet that's trolling?

Touchy touchy.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 08:38 PM   #1762
kimc
Coffee Mod

Alex1939 wrote: View Post

Why cause I made a joke and then answered someone's question why I bother to read the thread? And in the answer I give props to the original poster of the thread and state my overall feel on Voyager.

Yet that's trolling?

Touchy touchy.
Hey, I don't make the rules. It's my job to make sure you follow them though so it's up to you if you can or not. Please don't showboat any more in this thread. If you wish to discuss further you can pm me.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:21 AM   #1763
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Please don't showboat any more in this thread.
Damn, I may as well just give up this thread right now. But I've already done that once this week.

Timeless (****½)

Miracles do happen. Sometimes a person finds a winning lottery ticket discarded on the street. Sometimes a plane can crash-land on water with no casualties. Sometimes a woman will agree to sleep with me before I get to chance to spike her drink with rohypnol.

But the rarest miracle of all is a great Harry Kim episode.

There's really only one thing which holds me back from giving this episode the full five stars, and that thing is the non-explanation about the slipstream drive and why they can't use it to take several big "hops" back to the AQ. Everything else about this episode was pretty great; the characterisation of future Harry, the juxtaposition of the story in the future with the story in the "present", Voyager's crash-landing. And even though there is a big reset button ending the episode makes the reset satisfying, unlike Year of Hell where the reset detracted from the episode.

But this episode has one huge flaw; it treats history as though it were a single strand, and everybody knows that when you change history you create an alternate timeline like the ones Worf visited in Parallels. This is all explained by quantum mechanics which is the most awesome scientific theory of all time, even beating out evolution via natural selection. There's no reason for Kim and Chakotay to sacrifice themselves to save Voyager because Voyager already survived in another timeline. I don't know how the writers thought they were going to get away with this pitiful excuse of a time-travel concept.

Harry Deaths: 3
Old June 16 2009, 01:32 AM   #1764
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

GodBen wrote: View Post
But this episode has one huge flaw; it treats history as though it were a single strand, and everybody knows that when you change history you create an alternate timeline like the ones Worf visited in Parallels. This is all explained by quantum mechanics which is the most awesome scientific theory of all time, even beating out evolution via natural selection. There's no reason for Kim and Chakotay to sacrifice themselves to save Voyager because Voyager already survived in another timeline. I don't know how the writers thought they were going to get away with this pitiful excuse of a time-travel concept.
"Timeless" may only get four and a half stars, but this paragraph gets five.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 01:47 AM   #1765
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I was going to argue about how it's confirmation about how Voyager managed to survive that whole thing... but then my time travel headache started up and I went to go get the aspirin.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 01:55 AM   #1766
Korasine
Ensign

GodBen wrote: View Post

What exactly are you going on about here?
First of all, you said it yourself - quantum mechanics is just a THEORY.
Second of all, Timeless's approach to time travel is Star Trek's most common approach to time travel, only did the new Star Trek movie really take the "quantum mechanics" approach to time travel stories.
Its ridiculous to mark an episode down because it didn't adhere to your favorite scientific theory, that's ludicrous. That's like marking an episode down because they find out the universe wasn't formed by the big bang.
Korasine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:05 AM   #1767
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Korasine wrote: View Post
What exactly are you going on about here?
First of all, you said it yourself - quantum mechanics is just a THEORY.
The phrase "just a theory" irks me somewhat. Theories aren't just abstract concepts, they are a framework built around established facts. There's a theory of gravitation to explain how gravity works, but that doesn't make gravity any less real.

Second of all, Timeless's approach to time travel is Star Trek's most common approach to time travel, only did the new Star Trek movie really take the "quantum mechanics" approach to time travel stories.
I realise that, now go reread my post and take a look at the wink smiley at the end. It might also help if you knew my opinions of the new Trek movie which I posted several dozen pages back.
Old June 16 2009, 02:10 AM   #1768
Korasine
Ensign

Quantum mechanics theory IS purely theoretical unlike gravity. There have been no tests of "quantum mechanics", it is simply a case of some scientists making crap up off the top of their heads.
And if your last paragraph meant that you don't like Star Trek XI's approach to time travel (parallel universes for every occasion so why give a damn?) then I agree...
I still think Timeless is overrated though and think Wang's performances really taints the episode, he just couldn't act.
Korasine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:22 AM   #1769
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

"Timeless" gets 3.5 stars out of 4 from me.

It is another outstanding high concept sci-fi episode by Brannon that joins the ranks of episodes like Cause and Effect, Timescape, Parallels, All Good Things, Deadlock etc.

It is amazing how they were able to make this one hour episode feel almost as if it were a two hour epic. The visual effect sequences were imaginative and well executed, the various imagery i.e. the frozen tomb of Voyager was just as gripping as the story, the Borg technology that allowed for the reset button was not only clever but answered how Seven was aware of FC events, the dialog was sharp, the character interactions had depth and the writers nicely used previously established technology i.e. the slipstream drive as a welcomed bit of continuity--love that when it happens, and we get a neat cameo from LeVar Burton.

I think it just goes to show that Brannon enjoys writing his own stuff than being in charge of the writing room and overseeing the show. How else do you explain how his episodes were the highlights of season five yet the season as a whole was middling. I also thought this was a much better 100th episode than either TNG's decent but varied Redemption or DS9's mediocre "The Ship"
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:22 AM   #1770
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Timeless

Has to be one of my most favourite episodes of Voyager. And it's a Harry episode! Can't think of any others that have topped it (at the moment, anyway).
I watched it last night myself and really have to applaud Garrett Wang's acting. Is it my imagination or does he play future Harry better than past Harry? Maybe because this character was actually worth playing. I also liked the Doctor's input and his verbal slap-in-the-face to put Kim back on track at the end. Chakotay got some ok screen time too.

Even though I knew Kim would fix the whole mess somehow by the end of the episode, and of course not get Voyager back to the Alpha Quadrant cos that was just never a possibility , I really felt for him when he thought he had failed. And in those last few moments when he finally did it, I screamed "yes!" too. Oh, if only Harry could be cool throughout the whole series...
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote