RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,912
Posts: 5,388,243
Members: 24,718
Currently online: 496
Newest member: Tribblemaker

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15 2009, 11:45 PM   #31
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

I wonder if there will ever be a day when I'll have an interest in reading Marvel again.

There should be a website that keeps a scorecard of who's dead and who's alive this week. Are Janet van Dyne and Sue Richards still dead? Bill Foster? What about Batman? And Sue Dibny?
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 11:50 PM   #32
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Are Janet van Dyne and Sue Richards still dead? Bill Foster? What about Batman? And Sue Dibny?
Jan's dead (she recently showed up in iHerc in casino-Hell gambling for a resurrection.). Sue was never dead. The ultra-minor Bill Foster remains dead.

Those latter two are DC; the former was never dead either, he's in a cycle of death and rebirth (though nobody else knows that at the moment).
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 12:12 AM   #33
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

So now Bruce Wayne is the only superhero who is dead that we are waiting to return?
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:37 AM   #34
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

I always liked Steve Rogers and his Captain America is important. But I like Captain America under Bucky better.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 02:45 AM   #35
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

I just bought the first two trades of "Death of Cap", do I need to read the four trades that proceeded it? That would be #1-24. I also got "Fallen Son", should I read that before the first Death trade or concurrently with it?
__________________

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 03:07 AM   #36
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Does the new Cap still look like this?

__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 03:27 AM   #37
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

*sigh* Everytime the talk turns to Cap, someone has to dredge up that old picture. Can we please leave in in the 90's where it belongs?


The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
So now Bruce Wayne is the only superhero who is dead that we are waiting to return?
Bruce Wayne is not dead. He didn't die in RIP and he didn't die in FINAL CRISIS.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:03 AM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

I'm kinda peeved that Bucky hasn't really done anything super extreme in the last two years?

What is his legacy?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:14 AM   #39
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Dream wrote: View Post
Does the new Cap still look like this?

That's not Captain America.

It's Major Boobage!
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:57 AM   #40
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Scotty the Adulterer is about the first interesting thing ever to happen to the character.

I think a few people forget how Jean was behaving when it started, too.
You do realize that "Scotty the Adulterer" is an (unfortunate) history of his, right? I mean, I love Cyclops, but it's kinda hard to ignore the fact that he has an unhappy history with telepaths. It sucks, because otherwise Slim is pretty much a paragon of virtue, but not an annoying paladin-type.

"I LOOVE you Madeline, let's get married and have a baby."
"No wait, Jean's back, I LOOOVE her, I'm leaving you."

Wiki says it best:
"When he married Madelyne Pryor, Scott had thought he had found a replacement for Jean. Over time however, he realized that while Maddie looked like Jean, it was not her emotionally. Scott then began to emotionally distance himself, while fixating unhealthily on Jean. Scott would later leave Maddie and their child, upon hearing of Jean's return." (emphasis mine)

And blaming Jean for Scott's infidelity is weak sauce and classic blame-the-woman thinking. What makes it worse is he tried to excuse it because it's telepathic and therefore not real. The hell? Buddy, your wife is a telepath!

Leaving aside that though, the Scott/Jean romance is in the Top Five Ever of superhero stories, so how can you say breaking that up is the first interesting thing to happen to the character? Did you enjoy breaking up Peter/MJ also?

Thrall wrote: View Post
.
Well, yeah, they would keep him around. He brought in a lot of the glitter vamps who would never read a Captain America book normally.
You mock, but Marvel could use some of those so-called "glitter vamps" if you want any sort of readership even approaching pop-culture levels instead of the tiny, sad shell of what it once was. Just look at what "Star Trek" has done for the cultural awareness (let alone perception) of this very board's subject matter!

Newski wrote: View Post
How about they create a character not based on the archetypes, and let the character develop?
You mean like working with your archetypical brainwashed assassin, letting him grow and develop into the man he could have been? Letting him struggle internally, trying hard to live up to the ideals of his once-mentor - and pretty much succeeding? You mean that sort of development, where a pitiless killer pulls himself up by his bootstraps into an actual hero?
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."

Last edited by Kestrel; June 16 2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: emphasis, spelling
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 05:02 AM   #41
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just bought the first two trades of "Death of Cap", do I need to read the four trades that proceeded it? That would be #1-24. I also got "Fallen Son", should I read that before the first Death trade or concurrently with it?
You don't need to read the preceding trades, though they're great stories on their own. Fallen Son is a sideproject; doesn't really matter how you choose to read it, it doesn't affect the main title.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 05:08 AM   #42
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

I more thought Alex was more of a bastard for shacking up with Maddie after Scottie was finished with her. Doesn't that mean that he owes his brother a night or two with Lorna?

Black widow is almost 70. Bucky is only that old on paper. He's spent most of the last 8 decades sleeping, even if the Super... Wait? Bucky wasn't a Super Soilder? How the hell did he survive being frozen after he fell off the skulls rocket?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I more thought Alex was more of a bastard for shacking up with Maddie after Scottie was finished with her. Doesn't that mean that he owes his brother a night or two with Lorna?

Black widow is almost 70. Bucky is only that old on paper. He's spent most of the last 8 decades sleeping, even if the Super... Wait? Bucky wasn't a Super Soilder? How the hell did he survive being frozen after he fell off the skulls rocket?
The Wizard did it...
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 05:34 AM   #44
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain
 
LutherSloan's Avatar
 
Location: Doing the Federation's dirty work
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

The interview IGN did with the Marvel execs makes it sound like Steve Rogers is not necessarily going back to being Captain America again. It would make sense for him to take over at SHIELD once this Dark Reign thing is done.
__________________
Deputy Director, Section 31

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 06:27 AM   #45
Newski
Captain
 
Newski's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to Newski
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Kestrel wrote: View Post

You mean like working with your archetypical brainwashed assassin, letting him grow and develop into the man he could have been? Letting him struggle internally, trying hard to live up to the ideals of his once-mentor - and pretty much succeeding? You mean that sort of development, where a pitiless killer pulls himself up by his bootstraps into an actual hero?
The point was he was built around being this troubled person, he was designed to be this darker edgier character, tailor made for a generation raised on The Punisher and other anti heroes. A generation who is more interested in how much heroes cry than anything else.
Newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
captain america, comics, impeach queseda

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.