Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 15 2009, 06:56 PM   #16
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile
Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Is Brubaker handling the "Reborn" series?
Old June 15 2009, 06:57 PM   #17
Aragorn
Admiral

The New Adventures of the First Avenger: Captain America: The New Missions
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 07:25 PM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Far as I know Brubaker is still on Cap yes, and not surprised about this announcement either. I've enjoyed Bucky as Captain America but liked him better as Winter Soldier. Steve coming back in time for his own movie isn't a shock. Probably won't pick up the issue since I too collect trades.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 07:36 PM   #19
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

I know Brubaker is on Cap, but the "Reborn" is a separate, 5-issue series.

I'm mostly a DC guy, but Brubakers run on Captain America has been nothing short of stellar - it's one of my top 3 overall books, period, and I've definitely enjoyed the Bucky-as-Cap arcs as well.
Old June 15 2009, 08:43 PM   #20
miraclefan
Commodore

WOW! what a surprise. I saw this coming even before they killed him! Another reason why I left the BIG two.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 09:11 PM   #21
Thrall
Commodore

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^Scotty the Adulterer is about the first interesting thing ever to happen to the character.

I think a few people forget how Jean was behaving when it started, too.
Go read Dark Phoenix Saga, The Simonson's X-Factor run, or X-Cutioners Song and get back to me on that, fanboy.

Well, at least they'll bring back Classic Cap..... I'm tired of the "new" Captain America... You know, the one who uses a gun, totally defeating the entire purpose of a Superhero in the first place?
Bucky is awful, awful, awful and is a perfect representation of what is wrong with the creative mentality over at Marvel. Or should I say lack there of. If I wanted a second-rate Cable clone, I would have read X-Man.
Old June 15 2009, 09:55 PM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
Bucky is awful, awful, awful and is a perfect representation of what is wrong with the creative mentality over at Marvel. Or should I say lack there of. If I wanted a second-rate Cable clone, I would have read X-Man.
Have you actually read any of his stories? He's nothing like Cable.

Anyway, not surprised. Brubaker's run has been one big series of successes, so I expect his Reborn miniseries will be no different (and I'll be interested to see Hitch working with someone other than Millar for the first time since, er, I guess The Authority).
Newski wrote: View Post
Well, at least they'll bring back Classic Cap..... I'm tired of the "new" Captain America... You know, the one who uses a gun, totally defeating the entire purpose of a Superhero in the first place?
Plenty of superheroes use firearms; heck, Cap himself has in the past (particularly the Golden Age).

And Bucky hardly ever uses the gun, in any event; and when he has, he's shot to wound.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 09:59 PM   #23
Thrall
Commodore

He's a gritty anti-hero with a robot arm and a gun. The only difference I saw was that his gun isn't as big and he's more angry-emo then Hayden Christenson.
Old June 15 2009, 10:02 PM   #24
CaptainCanada
Admiral

He's a gritty anti-hero with a robot arm and a gun. The only difference I saw was that his gun isn't as big and he's more angry-emo then Hayden Christenson.
He's not an anti-hero. After recovering from his experiences as the Winter Soldier, New Cap has been determinedly trying to be a Steve-style superhero.

- Homer Simpson
Old June 15 2009, 10:14 PM   #25
Thrall
Commodore

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
He's not an anti-hero. After recovering from his experiences as the Winter Soldier, New Cap has been determinedly trying to be a Steve-style superhero.
Don't kid yourself. He was supposed to be the hip, edgy Captain America. Armed with a dark and tortured past - not mention emo-hair - he'd make the world safe for Twilight fans everywhere. Oh, and something about freedom and justice in there somewhere too.

Kind of reminds me of when they killed off Optimus Prime and tried to replace him with a hip, cool counterpart. Bucky's probably going to be just as well remembered as Ronemus Prime(I think that's what his name is? was?). You can't improve on a classic and Bucky proved that. I'm looking forward to when he's killed off again.
Old June 15 2009, 10:20 PM   #26
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Don't kid yourself. He was supposed to be the hip, edgy Captain America. Armed with a dark and tortured past - not mention emo-hair - he'd make the world safe for Twilight fans everywhere.
Er, no.

Also, he got a hair cut like three years ago.
I'm looking forward to when he's killed off again.
Doubtful, given how popular he is; fans like him and creators like using him now that he's been brought back. Unless Brubaker has it as an endgame of his story (possible, but he's a big Bucky fan, so I tend to doubt it), I expect him to be a fixture of Cap's supporting cast (and Steve really needs as much supporting cast as he can get).

- Homer Simpson
Old June 15 2009, 10:37 PM   #27
Thrall
Commodore

Also, he got a hair cut like three years ago.
Fair enough. That would be when I gave up on the series. All I've heard since has made me nothing but glad I did.

Doubtful, given how popular he is; fans like him and creators like using him now that he's been brought back. Unless Brubaker has it as an endgame of his story (possible, but he's a big Bucky fan, so I tend to doubt it), I expect him to be a fixture of Cap's supporting cast (and Steve really needs as much supporting cast as he can get).
Well, yeah, they would keep him around. He brought in a lot of the glitter vamps who would never read a Captain America book normally.
Old June 15 2009, 10:40 PM   #28
the Dagman
Commodore

I remember when they killed him off in Cap #25 most fans, myself included, were predicting Steve Rogers would return at or around issue #50. That issue hit the stands last month. We all predicted it and were right, within a small margin of error. We win! Consider yourselves to all to be no-prized.
Old June 15 2009, 10:57 PM   #29
Newski
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Newski

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Newski wrote: View Post
Plenty of superheroes use firearms; heck, Cap himself has in the past (particularly the Golden Age).

And Bucky hardly ever uses the gun, in any event; and when he has, he's shot to wound.

That was then. When they brought back Steve Rogers, they brought him back as the character we know and love today.

Other heroes use guns. But that's besides the point. This is Captain America. The reason he doesn't use a gun is because he is a man at his peak, using his wits against the enemies of Freedom, Liberty, and Democracy (He's loyal to his country's ideals more than the country, which is why I like him). Using a gun has brought him down to the level of the common soldier.

Don't kid yourself. He was supposed to be the hip, edgy Captain America. Armed with a dark and tortured past - not mention emo-hair - he'd make the world safe for Twilight fans everywhere. Oh, and something about freedom and justice in there somewhere too.
Thrall, I like you..... This is exactly what they were going for... Trying to make a new edgy anti hero.... Because hey, that sells.... How about they create a character not based on the archetypes, and let the character develop? Anyway, while we are talking about the anti heroes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEgwqlyX20
Newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 11:04 PM   #30
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Kind of reminds me of when they killed off Optimus Prime and tried to replace him with a hip, cool counterpart. Bucky's probably going to be just as well remembered as Ronemus Prime(I think that's what his name is? was?). You can't improve on a classic and Bucky proved that. I'm looking forward to when he's killed off again.
From a grown-up perspectve, RODimus Prime is actually a surprisingly awesome character, even if he does turn into a futuristic winnebago for some reason.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote