MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 11 2009, 06:45 AM   #136
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: TITAN: Animated Series

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Well...I found time.

I'm afraid my work does not measure up on the technical side at all to yours (me + drawing hands especially = bad), but I still hope that in some way this will capture the wonderful character you detailed for us.

This is for you, Mr. Thorne!

You kidding? It's AWESOME.

Well done!

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:04 AM   #137
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thanks.

I do speak the honest truth, though, when it comes to your technical skills. It's very clear you have the superior understanding of anatomy and giving your characters more lifelike poses. Are there any particular materials or techniques you used to get to that point?
Old June 11 2009, 04:38 PM   #138
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

Honestly?

I'm self taught. My parents got me a copy of Gray's Anatomy when I was a kid but the best help came from HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY and lots of drawing. LOTS of drawing of stuff from real life.

And i'm still crap at cars.

My best friend is a fantastic artist and just watching him work taught me a lot (much the same as reading the work of other writers). Osmosis can't be oversold.

And you have to push out of your comfort zone and draw stuff you know you probably can't at first.

And, of course, I'm still crap at cars.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by Geoff Thorne; June 11 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 11 2009, 04:42 PM   #139
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Geoff Thorne wrote: View Post
Honestly?

I'm self taught. My parents got me a copy of Gray's Anatomy when I was a kid but the best help came from HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY and lots of drawing. LOTS of drawing of stuff from real life.

and i'm still crap at cars.

I totally agree. I still have How to Draw the Marvel Way myself. Plus just get out there with a sketch book and draw what you see around you.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:43 PM   #140
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Titan Designer wrote: View Post

It was actually described as a smaller version of the Soverign(Enterprise's) Bridge in Taking Wing.

But As I said this was just my vision of the bridge, but this not the official design.
I like your Titan bridge! The only thing I might change are the non-command station chairs. Maybe a little wider aisle between the side stations and the tactical station horseshoe too. Otherwise, I think that looks nicer than most of the other bridges on the real Star Trek shows!
Old June 12 2009, 01:30 AM   #141
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Honestly?

I totally agree. I still have How to Draw the Marvel Way myself. Plus just get out there with a sketch book and draw what you see around you.
Did you find that book helped you with other styles in addition to drawing in a comic-book style?
Old June 12 2009, 02:10 AM   #142
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Nerys, I really like that drawing.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 03:23 AM   #143
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Well...I found time.

I'm afraid my work does not measure up on the technical side at all to yours (me + drawing hands especially = bad), but I still hope that in some way this will capture the wonderful character you detailed for us.

This is for you, Mr. Thorne!

You kidding? It's AWESOME.

Well done!
I agree that is Awesome
Old June 12 2009, 03:51 AM   #144
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Honestly?

Did you find that book helped you with other styles in addition to drawing in a comic-book style?
Mainly I got the fundimentals (SP sorry) from it. I have had to really take a my sketch book with me everywhere as just sketch.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 06:02 AM   #145
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thanks, guys...MUCH credit given, of course, to Mr. Thorne for fleshing (scaling?) out this adorable Cardassian!
Old June 12 2009, 06:53 AM   #146
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

Thanks, guys...MUCH credit given, of course, to Mr. Thorne for fleshing (scaling?) out this adorable Cardassian!
and now I'm blushing.

Actually Dakal kind of snuck up on me. But I agree, he's really a fascinating character.

Old June 15 2009, 07:08 PM   #147
Jeyl
Commodore

How long before it gets the green light?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 01:24 AM   #148
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
How long before it gets the green light?
I'm going to say a LONG time. Don't hold your breath.

Been busy with real life stuff. More art soon. Feel free to add your own.

Old June 16 2009, 04:01 AM   #149
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

...but the best help came from HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY and lots of drawing. LOTS of drawing of stuff from real life.
Yep I bought that as a kid and studied and practiced and studied and practiced....and then abandoned it. I was cleaning out a book shelf Sunday and the kids found an old IBM binder that I had that I took to meetings. Few notes in there but a bazillion drawings. The kids discovered that the old man at one point in his life could draw. Personally I think they are nuts but they have caused me to start picking up the sketch pad again. Oh and I keep buying that book (its still in print buried among all the magna stuff) for kids as a present. Gotta keep growing talent.

Dont feel bad. Hands kill me. I was never able to capture the life in them. Also all of my drawings tend to slant to the left. But what the hell its all about having fun.

Having gone over this thread I have just a few comments. Thanks for doing this. Having read the series I love to see a representation of the characters and I think you have done a great job. In you style for these, while not my cup of tea (I'm an old fart Marv Wolfman, George Perez, John Byrne styles fan), I do recognize the great job you are doing and hope you continue.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 05:28 AM   #150
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

FrontLine wrote: View Post
...but the best help came from HOW TO DRAW COMICS THE MARVEL WAY and lots of drawing. LOTS of drawing of stuff from real life.
Yep I bought that as a kid and studied and practiced and studied and practiced....and then abandoned it. I was cleaning out a book shelf Sunday and the kids found an old IBM binder that I had that I took to meetings. Few notes in there but a bazillion drawings. The kids discovered that the old man at one point in his life could draw. Personally I think they are nuts but they have caused me to start picking up the sketch pad again. Oh and I keep buying that book (its still in print buried among all the magna stuff) for kids as a present. Gotta keep growing talent.

Dont feel bad. Hands kill me. I was never able to capture the life in them. Also all of my drawings tend to slant to the left. But what the hell its all about having fun.

Having gone over this thread I have just a few comments. Thanks for doing this. Having read the series I love to see a representation of the characters and I think you have done a great job. In you style for these, while not my cup of tea (I'm an old fart Marv Wolfman, George Perez, John Byrne styles fan), I do recognize the great job you are doing and hope you continue.
Thanks for all that and for joining in in the spirit of this.

This Animated style is quicker and easier for me than others and I really, honestly do think it's time for another Trek Animated series whether it's TITAN or not. Why should those Star Wars guys have all the fun?

I love all those things on your list (and the artists and writers too). I have no illusions that this will amount to anything more than fun but, as Arthur Bach always says, that's the best thing to have.

Last edited by Geoff Thorne; June 16 2009 at 08:42 AM.