Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 13 2009, 03:57 AM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: "John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
And some casting news:

Hollywood Reporter

Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins will star in "John Carter of Mars," the adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs book series that Andrew Stanton is directing for Disney.

Kitsch will play the title character, Carter, while Collins is playing Dejah Thoris, the heir to the throne of Mars' Helium kingdom.
Kitsch has a bit of a generic "square jaw" look, not that thrilled about him, but Collins is interesting for Dejah Thoris. Her looks match the role, even tho I sort of expected a mixed-race actress, or someone of un-identifiable ethic background.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 05:52 AM   #32
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ Not just Disney, but Disney in Utah!
Will Dejah be wearing a chador or burqa?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 06:08 AM   #33
FreezeC77
Commodore

She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.

Too bad this is Disney
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 06:31 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Three small highly wrought ornaments should do the trick.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 09:45 AM   #35
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, they're likely to get the violence right, but not the nudity. What a world.

I'm not familiar with Michael Chabon, but a quick skim of his Wiki page made me smile; he seems to have a similar attitude toward writing as I do.
Old June 13 2009, 10:39 AM   #36
Darth_Daver
Captain

What is John Carter of Mars about? Is it good? Should I read the book?
Darth_Daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 10:50 AM   #37
Valin
Rear Admiral

Darth_Daver wrote: View Post

Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels are among the greatest science fantasy adventure stories of all time. They've inspired artists and writers from Howard to Henlein to Roddenberry to Lucas, among others.

I'm a fan (obviously); I'm hoping that they do as good a job with the Barsoom stories as Jackson did with Middle Earth.
Old June 13 2009, 01:51 PM   #38
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

It's important to note that you should read A Princess of Mars, since that is the book on which the movie is based. John Carter of Mars was the end of the series and, IMO, a lesser book.
Old June 13 2009, 02:23 PM   #39
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

"John Carter of Mars" is actually two different stories together in one volume. The first, "John Carter and the Giant of Mars", was originally intended as a juvenile story, and it shows. Although Burroughs eventually published this as a 'straight' Mars story, it is almost unanimously considered non-canonical by fans and scholars.

The other story in the collection, "Skeleton Men of Jupiter", is a short, somewhat underdeveloped novelette which was the last Mars story Burroughs ever wrote.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 02:37 PM   #40
ATimson
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Yeah, they're likely to get the violence right, but not the nudity. What a world.
Somehow, I just don't think that the movie would make back its production costs if it were rated R.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 02:59 PM   #41
Ubik
Commodore

The first book, "Princess of Mars," is a lot of fun. It's entirely brainless, of course, and racist, and misogynist, and Imperial, and all sorts of other things you would expect from this kind of book, from that period - but it's far better written, I think, than most other stuff of its type. What I mean by that is, it's not boring. The action is exciting, and the visuals are great fun. Don't expect the least bit of plot, characterization, or intelligence, though.

Interesting that everyone is hoping the movie is aimed at adults - why? The book is a kid's book. People read it when they're 12. Yes, it has lots of violence and nudity, but in that giggly non-realistic sort of way you get from comic books aimed at 12 year-olds. This isn't an adult book, and it shouldn't be an adult movie - it should be exactly what the book is: comically violent, over-the-top nonsense.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 04:53 PM   #42
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

BTW, A Princess of Mars among others are part of the Project Gutenberg public domain e-text library.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/pmars-table.html

And it wasn't just Dejah that was naked but JC himself which would never ever happen in an American film I'd reckon.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 05:57 PM   #43
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Ubik wrote: View Post
The first book, "Princess of Mars," is a lot of fun. It's entirely brainless, of course, and racist, and misogynist, and Imperial, and all sorts of other things you would expect from this kind of book

Racist? Really? You got that from the book/series? I found it to be quite opposite - more of a condemnation on racism. Red and Black men/Barsoomians are good guys and the White men/Barsoomians were evil. This written at the time when the Red and Black humans were still treated as second-class (or worse) citizens while the Whites were the top of the pecking order.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 06:59 PM   #44
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I highly recommend the John Carter books. They're among the best Pulp adventures ever written.

ToddPence wrote: View Post
The other story in the collection, "Skeleton Men of Jupiter", is a short, somewhat underdeveloped novelette which was the last Mars story Burroughs ever wrote.
I believe "Skeleton Men" was the first third of a trilogy, which is why it seems anticlimactic; at least, I think I heard that somewhere.

ATimson wrote: View Post
Somehow, I just don't think that the movie would make back its production costs if it were rated R.
Depends on the initial budget; and think of what they'd save in wardrobe.

Actually, I've always pictured John Carter movies in the early 30s B&W style. To be more specific, I like the idea of an alternate universe where all those Weismuller-O'Sullivan Tarzan movies were John Carter movies instead.
Old June 13 2009, 07:30 PM   #45
Goliath
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
It's the American way, is it not?

I'm not familiar with Michael Chabon, but a quick skim of his Wiki page made me smile; he seems to have a similar attitude toward writing as I do.
I've read Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union, and I thought it was one of the best genre novels I've read in years. It's both an outstanding alternate-history novel, and an outstanding detective novel. It's Nebula award was well-deserved.

If that's a fair indication of the quality of Chabon's work, then the script is in good hands.

Colour me stoked. The Warlord of Mars, on the big screen at last. It's about time.