RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,745
Posts: 5,215,888
Members: 24,215
Currently online: 788
Newest member: rpoe0728

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:
Thumbs up! 21 17.80%
Thumbs down! 97 82.20%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 12 2009, 12:11 AM   #31
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

JustKate wrote: View Post
And Zameaze, there are men who find Janeway beautiful and desirable, too - and I am not just talking about her brain, either. Probably not as many as find Seven beautiful, but still, some would. And others are completely enraptured by Kes or some other character. In my years of "research" (I'm not sure how many since it's kind of hard to say at what age I started, but we are talking decades here), I've found that with men, you just never know what will push each one's individual buttons.
I get serious for once, and no one understands me. That'll teach me.

No it won't--sure, many men would pick Janeway because they really believed that they thought that she was the more desirable of the two. But, in reality, they would be settling for the best that they 'unconsciously' believed they could do.
Zameaze is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 12:16 AM   #32
Daneel
Rear Admiral
 
Daneel's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

I have no problem with the idea of C/7 -- it's how it was handled that was so frustrating. I mean, it's the final episode of a long-running series, and you just decide to suddenly pair up two characters out of the blue? No, I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly. Had it not been for "Human Error", in which we learn that Seven is at least attracted to Chakotay, it would have been completely unforgivable. As it is now, it's just a bungled mess -- unfortunately, one of many on Voyager.

And it's not like they had no opportunity. I think "Human Error" showed that there was potential for the development of a C/7 relationship (regardless of the fact that she was interacting with a holographic Chakotay). I remember even Beltran wondering why they didn't follow up on that and have her start a relationship with the real Chakotay. Then you have "Natural Law", just a few episodes before the finale: Chakotay and Seven are actually stranded on a planet together. Despite it being a terrible cliche, that would have been a pretty good time to get the ball rolling on their romantic relationship, since it's clear by now that the producers were planning to give them one in the finale anyway. But no, there isn't even a mention of Seven's attraction to him, no hint of romance. It's just another boring episode that doesn't have anything memorable or important happen.

I can't really say who would be an ideal candidate for Seven's romantic partner -- I'm not even convinced she really needed one, but I suppose the writers wanted to give her a love interest at the last minute to show us how much she'd "grown", but in typical Voyager writer-fashion, they didn't think it through. They probably just figured, hey, we're not doing anything interesting with Chakotay, so why not pair her with him? I don't think I would've had a problem with Harry Kim, the Doctor, or yes, Chakotay, if the writers had actually took the time and care to develop a relationship and let it unfold naturally. Unfortunately, that was never one of the writers' strengths, as they proved time and again.
Daneel is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 03:46 AM   #33
kimc
Coffee Mod
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Zameaze wrote: View Post
No it won't--sure, many men would pick Janeway because they really believed that they thought that she was the more desirable of the two. But, in reality, they would be settling for the best that they 'unconsciously' believed they could do.
I may be wrong but it sounds like you've never been in love before. Yes, scientists have come up with all kinds of theories over why people choose each other but the true fact is we don't know for sure. A sparkle in someone's eye or the way they walk and suddenly we're smitten - the heck with what anyone else in the room thinks. Or we could look over at someone we think is just a friend and realize "OMG, I'm in love!"

Is Seven the obvious choice for sexual desire? Sure, but desire alone doesn't mean love. Putting aside Seven's emotional state, the difference in ages, the fact he was first officer, etc. there was absolutely no personal chemisty between the two. After everything Seven had been through she deserved someone to "spark" with.
__________________
I'm certainly less inclined to bash Voyager now, it is not nearly as bad a show as many people make it out to be. - TheGodBen

Avatar by B'Elanna.
kimc is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 03:49 AM   #34
kimc
Coffee Mod
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Daneel wrote: View Post
Then you have "Natural Law", just a few episodes before the finale: Chakotay and Seven are actually stranded on a planet together. Despite it being a terrible cliche, that would have been a pretty good time to get the ball rolling on their romantic relationship, since it's clear by now that the producers were planning to give them one in the finale anyway.
Rumor has it the two actors asked if they should play an attraction between the two but were told don't bother since nothing would come of it. Perhaps they felt that had already "been done" with "Resolutions". Who knows?
__________________
I'm certainly less inclined to bash Voyager now, it is not nearly as bad a show as many people make it out to be. - TheGodBen

Avatar by B'Elanna.
kimc is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 04:55 AM   #35
Tachyon
Fleet Captain
 
Tachyon's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven



So...

__________________
Avatar by Belanna.

Last edited by Tachyon; June 12 2009 at 05:25 AM.
Tachyon is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 07:47 AM   #36
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

kimc wrote: View Post
Zameaze wrote: View Post
[S]ure, many men would pick Janeway because they really believed that they thought that she was the more desirable of the two. But, in reality, they would be settling for the best that they 'unconsciously' believed they could do.
I may be wrong but it sounds like you've never been in love before.
You are not only wrong, you are mega wrong. By the way, a personal attack, no matter how fun, does not make up for a lack of facts.

Yes, scientists have come up with all kinds of theories over why people choose each other but the true fact is we don't know for sure.
It is well known why people choose each other. You just donít like the answer.

A sparkle in someone's eye or the way they walk and suddenly we're smitten - the heck with what anyone else in the room thinks. Or we could look over at someone we think is just a friend and realize "OMG, I'm in love!"
Sure. But the point is this: We understand why it happens.

Is Seven the obvious choice for sexual desire? Sure, but desire alone doesn't mean love. Putting aside Seven's emotional state, the difference in ages, the fact he was first officer, etc. there was absolutely no personal chemisty between the two. After everything Seven had been through she deserved someone to "spark" with.
All fine and good, but none of that supports your argument that it is not known why human beings fall in love. All you are saying is that most of us donít know on a conscious level why we fall in love. I agree. In fact, most people donít want to know--the fairy tales are much more palatable, much more romantic, and much more fun.

By the way, kimc, love ya.
Zameaze is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 07:58 AM   #37
Tachyon
Fleet Captain
 
Tachyon's Avatar
 
Location: Finland
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

I am surprised at the Kim/Seven support I am observing here. Why? Because I have always assumed Doctor/Seven pairing was way more popular. (Not to mention that Harry isn't exactly among the most popular characters.) Has poor me been wrong? Perhaps.
__________________
Avatar by Belanna.
Tachyon is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 08:17 AM   #38
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

I had no problems with Chakotay and Seven as a couple. Granted, I think that he would have been emotionally more suited for Janeway. And the development of Chakotay and Seven's relationship from hostile in S4 to romantic in S7 was rather interesting to watch.
Fish1941 is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 09:30 AM   #39
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Quote by Tachyon: I am surprised at the Kim/Seven support I am observing here. Why? Because I have always assumed Doctor/Seven pairing was way more popular. (Not to mention that Harry isn't exactly among the most popular characters.) Has poor me been wrong? Perhaps.
Were you wrong? Not necessarily--we were given only two choices, so I picked Kim/Seven. If we had been given Doctor/Seven as a choice, I would have picked them. Well, there'll be other polls.
Zameaze is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 02:10 PM   #40
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Zameaze wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Meh, Demi fell for Ashton because he's young and gorgeous, and Ashton fell for Demi probably because she was his pubertal fantasy.

But why would Seven fall for a guy with a probable secret crush on his captan, who likely had a latent girlcrush on her?
Rank.

As a Borg, Seven was made to respect a chain of authority.
Chakotay is First Officer, thus the Alpha Male on Voyager.
His rank to Seven would give him appeal.

Mach 5, Ashton is young and gorgeous? I was thinking more like doofy & talentless. Demi has the money, being an actress/producer. He just riding her coat tails. Can you say: Male J-Lo?
Alpha male behavior doesnít explain the sum total of human male conduct. We are complicated beasts, and the dark cave of our mind still harkens back to the primeval.

Much of our behavior is rooted at a level of development thatís below the cognitive and is motivated by inherent drives that come from a nonlinguistic, ancient part of our brain. Our conscious minds try to come up with convincing reasons for us to explain our behavior to ourselves, and think that they are dealing with facts while, in reality, they are being led a merry chase. We may have abandoned chimpanzee ways, but most men must admit that the blatant sexuality of a Seven of Nine does incite a degree of visceral lust.

Chakotay would most likely not Ďchooseí Janeway if Seven were available unless he unconsciously thought that was the best he could do--our self-perception very much influences who we deem a potential lover and our minds convincingly tell us that we chose this person for good reasons (e.g., she's a better conversationalist).

Who Seven would choose is not as easy. As Freud said--"The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is 'What does a woman want?'"
-From Sigmund Freud: Life and Work by Ernest Jones, 1953
Wow, that's a deeper response than I expected from anyone here.

Thanks, I found it informative.
Being male myself and knowing & having many male friends, I'm not sure we've all abandon our chimp ways. So I can't say I completely agree but it was informative none the less. Thank you for being a breath of fresh air.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 05:03 PM   #41
Zameaze
Commodore
 
Zameaze's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

exodus wrote: View Post
Being male myself and knowing & having many male friends, I'm not sure we've all abandon our chimp ways.
The bonobo chimps engage in orgies, masturbate frequently, and connive to overcome the female alliances that are made to keep the male under control. You're right--thatís us.
Zameaze is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 05:04 PM   #42
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Zameaze wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Being male myself and knowing & having many male friends, I'm not sure we've all abandon our chimp ways.
The bonobo chimps engage in orgies, masturbate frequently, and connive to overcome the female alliances that are made to keep the male under control. You're right--thatís us.
Sounds like a typical weekend for me.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 08:32 PM   #43
EJA
Fleet Captain
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

One thing I take comfort in is that the VOY Relaunch novels by Christie Golden had Seven and Chakotay break up shortly after returning to Earth. THANK YOU, CHRISTIE GOLDEN!!!
EJA is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 09:25 PM   #44
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

EJA wrote: View Post
One thing I take comfort in is that the VOY Relaunch novels by Christie Golden had Seven and Chakotay break up shortly after returning to Earth. THANK YOU, CHRISTIE GOLDEN!!!
But IIRC, they hold hands at Janeway's funeral, don't they?
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline  
Old June 12 2009, 10:02 PM   #45
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Mach5 wrote: View Post
But IIRC, they hold hands at Janeway's funeral, don't they?
Ooh, this should get a fun response...


The Chakotay/7 pairing as presented was too sudden and unexplained to make a lot of sense, but I think - in light of Seven's previously noted attraction to Chakotay - it could've been an interesting direction to explore for those characters. Walking stereotype though he be, Chakotay does have an established sensitivity/empathy and wisdom that would make him a perfectly good partner for someone who's been scarred like Seven and who's exploring her humanity. If forced to choose between Chakotay/Seven and Chakotay/Janeway... I plead the fifth, and can see reasons for both.
__________________
"You mean life?"
"Yeah. Does it get easy?"
"What do you want me to say?"
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
chakotay, romance, seven of nine

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.