Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 11 2009, 11:40 AM   #31
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Re: Why did Kirk tell Gaila "That's weird"?

A little off topic, but do we know for certain that Gaila was an Orion? Yes, she's got green skin, but there are a lot of pink skinned lifeforms out there. It's possible that Orions are not the only green skinned species.

Any evidence either way?
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 02:12 PM   #32
Sanae
Lieutenant

To be honest, I think that he said 'that's so weird' because he seriously believed that Orion girls couldn't fall in love at all so he found what Gaila said to him weird. I don't think usual human female clichés apply to Orion females at all....but that's just me.
Sanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 04:45 PM   #33
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

That's probably the first time he's slept with her. That would be a little awkward for me.
Old June 11 2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Jeri
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha, I've seen the movie 15 times. Kirk is not thinking about what she said to him.

And as I said before, Kirk EXPECTS women to say they love him. It wouldn't be a surprise.
Old June 11 2009, 05:20 PM   #35
charliehorse43
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to charliehorse43

The Badger wrote: View Post
A little off topic, but do we know for certain that Gaila was an Orion? Yes, she's got green skin, but there are a lot of pink skinned lifeforms out there. It's possible that Orions are not the only green skinned species.
The novel says she is an Orion.

Last edited by M'Sharak; June 12 2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: quote tags corrected
charliehorse43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:27 PM   #36
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
Mereope wrote: View Post
When he teased Uhura into telling her name, he said something like, "that's so weird, that was just the name I was going to pick".

I think he was about to do the same thing with Gaila, "that's so weird, that's just what I was going to say", but she cut him off before he got to the punch line. And then dear roomie walked in.

Roommatus interruptus...

No I don't think so *

* = copyright X-Men 2
Yeah I mean if that's what the writers wanted him to say he would of said it...this is not real life where the conversation got interrupted.

Guartho wrote: View Post
Creedence wrote: View Post
Can we same about when he bedded the green chick in ToS?
When did that happen?
It didn't...Kirk didn't have sex with an Orion in TOS ...as a matter of fact his playboy reputation is perhaps unwarranted. Recently saw a website (courtesy of Indranee) where someone broke down Kirk's sex action episode by episode.....more often than not he used his charm with the ladies to get the Enterprise out of a jam...not to satisfy his own desires and wants.

miniglik wrote: View Post
No one else has done something similar? I'm a woman, and I've obviously never been a cocky male Starfleet cadet bedding a beautiful green chick, but in my dating days, I was always nonplussed by declarations of love from someone I didn't expect to give it and for whom I was not ready to bestow the same.

Usually, it resulted in some variation of, "uh. Okay. Thanks."

And even with the man I eventually married (and love fiercely to this day), the reaction was:
"Oh."

*Pause*

"I have to go."

Some people just find it weird.
If someone tells me they love me too soon it is a complete turnoff...but I've never responded with a "that's weird"...I think that line has nothing to do with her declaration of love for Kirk.

gimpy117 wrote: View Post
rbnn wrote: View Post
What exactly was Kirk responding to when he said "That's weird" after Gaila said "I love you"? I do not think he was responding to Gaila's comment.
because when you really aren't that into a girl and when they start telling you "they love you" you get weirded out...hence the "weird" trust me..happening to me as I speak...
True, true...but do you actually say that to the person's face??? Did you tell this chick you're having troubles with "that's weird" after she said I love you? I think it would be weird to say that's wierd...LOL.

T J wrote: View Post
She's dead. Either way he's safe.
LO - frikkin L
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:34 PM   #37
xman
Commander

I imagine that this is not the first time Kirk has been told by an Orion woman that they love him which would be a rich irony considering the effect they usually have on men. Kirk is an Orion pheromone free zone.

X
Old June 11 2009, 06:54 PM   #38
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Gail's not dead for sure; I watched last night to ascertain no one said what ship she was on -- and they didn't. I'm wishing she were on the Enterprise.
Old June 11 2009, 07:08 PM   #39
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I guess Kirk was not that smooth-talking by that point in his life (well, he certainly was not 3 years before in the bar)... I took it as something that he said because he didn't know what else to say.

But it was obviously also a setup for the beautiful girl to turn the lights on, so the audience gets to see that she's a green alien.. punchline "Did you just say, "this is so weird"?"

Cakes488 wrote: View Post

It didn't...Kirk didn't have sex with an Orion in TOS ...as a matter of fact his playboy reputation is perhaps unwarranted. Recently saw a website (courtesy of Indranee) where someone broke down Kirk's sex action episode by episode.....more often than not he used his charm with the ladies to get the Enterprise out of a jam...not to satisfy his own desires and wants.
He came close to being seduced by one in Whom Gods Destroy... but then she ruined it by trying to kill him!

It's true that he did not have that much sex... in some cases he flirted with some alien/android/crazy women for other purposes... and in a couple others, he actually fell in love but didn't get to do anything before the woman (or female android) tragically (and so conviently for the show) dies... The curse of disposable love interests!
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 07:13 PM   #40
Cakes488
Commodore

^^^ RE: whom gods destroy...was he really going to do her for his own pleasure or was it to enlist her aid in their effort to escape...? I believe it's the latter....?
Old June 11 2009, 07:31 PM   #41
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

^^^ RE: whom gods destroy...was he really going to do her for his own pleasure or was it to enlist her aid in their effort to escape...? I believe it's the latter....?
Most likely, yes. Just as in quite a few other cases (although they mostly amounted to kissing, not sex).

He really fell in love 2 or 3 times, but the women (conviently for the show) had to die. He was even married as 'Kirok', when he had amnesia and did not know who he was. And there were cases when he fell for women because of weird outside influences... i.e. brainwashed in Dagger of the Mind, Elaan's tears, the woman in A Private Little War...Again no sex in any of those cases.. We also met some of his exes, and he didn't have the nicest experience with the one in Court Martial... And one of the women he had a relationship with in TOS turned out ot be a serial killer...

All in all, not very lucky with the ladies, all considered?

OTOH, he came off as a bit of a horndog in Wolf in The Fold... but then so did Scotty and McCoy.

He did do the comfort girl in Bread and Circuses, though...

Am I forgetting anything? He was portrayed as a ladies' man in so many episodes, but very few of those flirtations actually qualify as a relationship or a romance, and many did not even go further than the first base (or less).
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:22 PM   #42
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain

Jeri wrote: View Post
FPAlpha, I've seen the movie 15 times. Kirk is not thinking about what she said to him.

And as I said before, Kirk EXPECTS women to say they love him. It wouldn't be a surprise.
I'm not so sure - I get the impression that this Kirk has one night stands and short term relationships and doesn't expect them to last and is surprised that Gaila thinks there is something more in this one. Also I imagine that Kirk doesn't want a long term relationship.
Old June 11 2009, 08:27 PM   #43
Jeri
Vice Admiral

When Gaila calls for the lights and asks if Kirk doesn't love her, too, Kirk sits back and says, "No, I meant..." -- correcting her, as though he was meaning something else completely. Then Uhura interrupts them.

He's not talking about what she said.
Old June 11 2009, 08:32 PM   #44
Cakes488
Commodore

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Most likely, yes. Just as in quite a few other cases (although they mostly amounted to kissing, not sex).

He really fell in love 2 or 3 times, but the women (conviently for the show) had to die. He was even married as 'Kirok', when he had amnesia and did not know who he was. And there were cases when he fell for women because of weird outside influences... i.e. brainwashed in Dagger of the Mind, Elaan's tears, the woman in A Private Little War...Again no sex in any of those cases.. We also met some of his exes, and he didn't have the nicest experience with the one in Court Martial... And one of the women he had a relationship with in TOS turned out ot be a serial killer...

All in all, not very lucky with the ladies, all considered?

OTOH, he came off as a bit of a horndog in Wolf in The Fold... but then so did Scotty and McCoy.

He did do the comfort girl in Bread and Circuses, though...

Am I forgetting anything? He was portrayed as a ladies' man in so many episodes, but very few of those flirtations actually qualify as a relationship or a romance, and many did not even go further than the first base (or less).
Yeah he really did get quite the rep. as a lady killer...now we only saw what was on screen...... so In my mind I'm granting Kirk a little more action than what actually happened ....of course, off screen wink wink.

That website broke it down and I was really surprised to see ep after ep with Kirk not going after anyone -- this reputation of his is larger than life!
Old June 11 2009, 08:35 PM   #45
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain

Jeri wrote: View Post
When Gaila calls for the lights and asks if Kirk doesn't love her, too, Kirk sits back and says, "No, I meant..." -- correcting her, as though he was meaning something else completely. Then Uhura interrupts them.

He's not talking about what she said.
He's looking for a way out of the foot-in-mouth situation he's landed himself in.