Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 31 2009, 01:14 PM   #46
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

very inpressed keep up the great work
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 12:34 AM   #47
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wow, so do you happen to know how much smaller the torpedo rooms are than the actual set was? It looks like quite a difference.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 01:59 AM   #48
Ziz
Commodore

Don't forget about the geometry of the deflector dish. Looks like you're going to have to remove some of those forward decks to make that fit, as well as make room for the related hardware that makes the dish work.
Old June 1 2009, 02:11 AM   #49
Birdog
Commander

Are you using surfaces or solids?
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 03:25 AM   #50
BK613
Captain

Could always use one torp room two launchers like Shane Johnson did...
Old June 1 2009, 03:42 AM   #51
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

BK613 wrote: View Post
Could always use one torp room two launchers like Shane Johnson did...
The problem with that is that this isn't consistent with what was seen on-screen. I mean, we see the port-side torpedo bay room take phaser fire, basically be blown to the proverbial "smithereens," and then in a very short period of time later, we see the Enterprise firing torpedoes out of the starboard-side tube... and what is presumably not more than a day or two later, we see Spock's burial tube fired out of a clean and undamaged torpedo room, with the tube being fired through the starboard launcher.

It seems pretty clear from that on-screen evidence that there was a port-side and a starboard-side torpedo room, and that the port-side one got shredded while the starboard-side one was left effectively intact and operational.

As for "how much larger" the on-screen one was than what we see here... I suspect that the answer is "not much." Maybe 10% or so? The ship is much larger than we sometimes thing (and, at other times, actually quite a bit smaller). It's this whole "scale misperception" thing that makes 3D modeling of a ship so fascinating. When dealing with 2D drawings, it's easy to miss things (like ceiling lines... something I think Strategic Designs forgot about on occasion in their blueprint set). Or with issues like which deck Engineering really is located on in the TMP ship (I suspect that it needs to be maybe two decks lower than usually assumed based upon Probert's concept sketch and Kimbel's cutaway)

In a case like this, I'd be inclined to look more at "what was the room intended to do" than anything else. We see the following going on in there:

• A small group of cadets being inspected. How large of a room would be required for that?
  • Torpedos being loaded for battle. How large would the room need to be for that?
  • A funeral. Based upon the number of attendees, how large would the room need to be for all of them to have been present, as shown?

It might be interesting to pull up a 3D presentation of a person and place it in that scene... or several. I'm not sure how effectively you can do that in AutoCAD, so you could always just create a very simple "box" representing the approximate volume occupied by a standing human male, if having a "real person" figure isn't really an option.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 04:11 AM   #52
BK613
Captain

^^
what we see on screen isn't that consistent, so I think CTM could do either...
Old June 9 2009, 10:10 PM   #53
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

Hey CTM, what's happening on the "Big E"? Haven't seen anything new as of late, hope all is well... looking forward to more of your fine work!

Best regards,
Chuck
Old June 9 2009, 10:45 PM   #54
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

CDR6 wrote: View Post
Hey CTM, what's happening on the "Big E"? Haven't seen anything new as of late, hope all is well... looking forward to more of your fine work!

Best regards,
Chuck
She still sits as you see her here... we had a pipe burst in my office, and the cleanup/repair to restart operations is leaving me so thoroughly exhausted when I get home, I can do little more than crawl into bed. We are winding down that though, so I should get back to her in a few days. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.
CTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 03:04 AM   #55
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Ok... I finally was able to get back to Enterprise tonight. Not that I have a whole lot to show for it, but I am back to making progress. I got some more of the Torpedo Deck fleshed out... and started integrating it with the remainder of the secondary hull. The full integration will wait for the remainder of the neck. I expect to actually merge O and N decks, with N-deck becoming essentially a crawl-space deck above Main Engineering and below the Photorp Deck. I also can see that the aft end of the Photorp Deck will wind up getting further modified to fit in with the slope of the neck.

Old June 17 2009, 07:32 AM   #56
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Looking good!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 17 2009, 01:35 PM   #57
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

I love this build- it's like watching her come to life! It is really a great way to put how big she is into perspective.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 03:13 AM   #58
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Only two pics tonight. I realize that I need to build the Saucer as a separate file for now - things are getting too big to manage with it. I won't say I finished the neck, but I did get it roughed out. There will be significant changes on it before it is finalized.

Old June 18 2009, 03:15 AM   #59
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
I love this build- it's like watching her come to life! It is really a great way to put how big she is into perspective.
Thank you all for your kind words on my effort.
Old June 18 2009, 04:25 AM   #60
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yes, this is really very remarkable.